Aragon 4004 Amplifier - Sold. Thanks

jackman

Aragon 4004 Amplifier - Sold. Thanks
« on: 7 Oct 2012, 01:39 pm »
This is a relatively unique item.  A few months ago I decided to send my Aragon 4004 back to the original Aragon approved tech center and had them go through it completely to make sure everything was working properly and to bring it up to original factory specs.  They tested every cap, re-biased the amp and replaced a transistor with an original NOS transitor and replaced a resistor, because the two items did not measure up to original specifications.  The amp was packed in a NOS Aragon box with new material and will be shipped in this box.  The tech who worked on the amp said the repair was minor and that the amp runs like new and should be good to go for at least "another 20 years".  The service cost me $365 plus shipping.  My asking price is not much more than it cost me to have it completely serviced. 

If you are looking for a powerhouse Class A amplifier, the 4004 is a reliable and great sounding amp.  This amp will drive pretty much any speaker.  The Class A sound of this amp is very tube-like with large reserves of power.  It was made in the USA by Mondial, prior to the Klipsch acquisition of Aragon. 

I can ship to anywhere in the US. 

The amp works perfectly but has a couple small cosmetic flaws, scratches that were there when I purchased it.  If you are looking for a museum piece, this is probably not the amp for you.  I have owned it for at least 7 years and it has performed flawlessly the whole time.  I was using it on the woofers of a 2 channel system but have tested it on my monitors and it works perfectly.  I have too much stuff and my wife is starting to pester me to narrow it down to one system. 

The amp is a heavy, 65 pound beast that delivers 400 watts per channel in a 4ohm load.  The design is completely dual-mono, and uses a pair of large, high quality transformers.  I can deliver locally (zipcode 60564), ship it anywhere in the US and would be happy to answer any questions.  It is packed in its original NOS box ready for its new home. 

$499 plus shipping in the USA (continental) and I will cover Paypal fees.  I'm at 60564.

Here is some info on the amp (pictures are not my amp):

http://www.indyaudiolabs.com/aragon-4004.aspx

« Last Edit: 11 Nov 2012, 04:15 pm by jackman »

jackman

Bump for a price reduction.   This is the last price reduction before audiogon.

Thanks

Jack

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
Anyone:  how does the sound quality compare with Odyssey Extreme monos?  (I just missed buying 2 pair for sale on here  :cry:)

jackman

I'm not familiar with Odyssey mono's and can't help you with a direct comparison. The Aragon 4004 is A class A amplifier and I would describe the sound as very tube-like but more powerful than any tube amp I've ever tried. It is capable of driving any speakers including ones with difficult low ohm loads.  Also, the 4004 is completely dual mono, in one case.  This one was fully tested at the facility that has handled Aragon service for decades.

wkjeffers

Hi, just wondering what the tech shop was, I have a 4004 mk2 and looking for a tech. the place Klipsch told me about that was the "factory service center" in Indy supposedly  - went out of business a few years ago. 

jackman

No problem, the place is called The place is called Sybesmas and they are in Michigan. They hava all original parts and will completely test your amp and will replace any broken or out of spec parts.  They have lots of original NOS parts and have been servicing these Aragon amps for years.

wkjeffers

Great. Thanks.  The place Klipsch sent me to was in Indy. They had no NOS parts.

I can also say that I have the 4004 and it is driving my Martin Logan Quest's difficult load with ease. They sound very good with a great clarity. The build is unbelievable when you open the case to look at it. I can't believe Klipsch ended production when they bought Aragon.

Bump.

jackman

Klipsch didn't know what to do with Aragon.  The new guys in Indy are very cool and the new design looks great on paper. Haven't seen one in person.

Cheers

Jack

LadyDog

To Hank,
While not compared at the same time and in the same environment, they are similar.  Both very nice amps.  Both have a touch of warmth and some bloom.  Both will drive just about any speaker you can throw at it.  The real benefit you get with the Aragon, other than great sound, is a substantially better price than the Odyssey.  No brainer to me.

Seller is a good guy too boot.

WireNut

Hi jackman, I'll take it.

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
Are you going to mark this as "Sold"?

jackman

Sold!

Thanks for the reminder !

jackman

The Legacy Coda and Aragon 24 k are still available.   Can't believe they haven't sold.  They are really nice pieces.

Barry_NJ

• So much media... So little time...
Sold!

Thanks for the reminder !

Jackman, Would you please edit the title of your first post to indicate "sold". Thanks, Barry