IEC power jack and a removable 3 conductor power cord

Tone Depth

• Music Lover
    • SRLPE Wheel Works
There is a new announcement on the AVA website:  http://avahifi.com/  All new AVA equipment is shipping equipped with an IEC power jack and a removable 3 conductor power cord.

SlushPuppy

Re: IEC power jack and a removable 3 conductor power cord
« Reply #1 on: 15 Jun 2011, 02:56 am »
There is a new announcement on the AVA website:  http://avahifi.com/  All new AVA equipment is shipping equipped with an IEC power jack and a removable 3 conductor power cord.

I never thought I'd see this in my lifetime  :o

bregez

« Reply #2 on: 15 Jun 2011, 02:57 am »
I had to check the calendar to make sure it wasn't April 1st.

SlushPuppy

« Reply #3 on: 15 Jun 2011, 02:58 am »
I had to check the calendar to make sure it wasn't April 1st.

:lol:

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #4 on: 15 Jun 2011, 03:18 am »
Is there a kit?  :scratch:

I want to install it in my blender. It's approaching summer time here in So Cal, and the thought of the blender kicking out different drinks via varying power cords sounds like a kick in th ass!  :thumb:

:wtf:

Seriously,

Jerry

srb

« Reply #5 on: 15 Jun 2011, 03:50 am »
I want to install it in my blender. It's approaching summer time here in So Cal, and the thought of the blender kicking out different drinks via varying power cords sounds like a kick in th ass!

Go for it!

+      =   Big Thick Shakes

Steve
« Last Edit: 15 Jun 2011, 05:31 pm by srb »

10ear

« Reply #6 on: 15 Jun 2011, 04:01 am »
Tell me it aint so.....  I been into the sauce tonite too much to handle this....

10ear

TheChairGuy

« Reply #7 on: 15 Jun 2011, 04:09 am »
Website maybe been hacked?

Hold on, gotta' go now - 3 pigs just flew by and hell just permanently froze over  :o

jmc207

« Reply #8 on: 15 Jun 2011, 04:43 am »
Website maybe been hacked?

Hold on, gotta' go now - 3 pigs just flew by and hell just permanently froze over  :o

Yeah, what he said.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #9 on: 15 Jun 2011, 05:06 am »

That's good news for many.... 8) :beer:

smwick

« Reply #10 on: 15 Jun 2011, 06:52 am »
My new fet valve amp and dac/pre have this.  Frank said I was the first to receive the IEC jack, but I was told to keep it quiet until AVA made the announcement.  I was going to take some pics and post them but that would have given it away.  There may be a nother announcement comming as well  :D.

mark funk

« Reply #11 on: 15 Jun 2011, 09:55 am »
                                                                                       :o

:smoke:

Big Red Machine

« Reply #12 on: 15 Jun 2011, 10:28 am »

:thumb:
« Last Edit: 16 Jun 2011, 11:39 am by Big Red Machine »

martyo

« Reply #13 on: 15 Jun 2011, 11:28 am »
I'd imagine the demand dictated it, smart business move.  8)

Minn Mark

« Reply #14 on: 15 Jun 2011, 12:42 pm »
EGG-SELL-ANT !!

I am now open for bids on my 'vintage' AVA Insight equipment, completely original with the much valued (read "mystical") captive powercords.  Bidding starts at $1 million USD per component: Insight 440H, Insight Pre, Insight DAC.

Will consider trades for outrageously expensive gear like LAMM, etc.

Bid now, and bid often  :lol:

Minn Mark

trackball02

« Reply #15 on: 15 Jun 2011, 01:49 pm »
I wonder if this applies to UltraValve amps, since this chassis is different than the rest.

murf

• Friends don't let friends apex early
« Reply #16 on: 15 Jun 2011, 01:52 pm »
I understand the business side of it (was in advertising for ~ 25 yrs), but I'm glad I have the old 'superior', welded in power cord!
 :green:

Best to Frank!     Murf

r1seals

« Reply #17 on: 15 Jun 2011, 02:38 pm »
big deal :roll: does this mean that we or all of us are going to have to buy cords now?

srb

« Reply #18 on: 15 Jun 2011, 03:48 pm »
All of my components except for one have removeable IEC cords.  I like the IEC connector primarily from the standpoint of being able to have the near-optimum length cord for the physical placement as well as ease of disconnecting it for installing or moving the component.

But I never disputed (and commented about it in previous posts) that a soldered-in captive cord was a technically superior connection, just as I believe speaker drivers with soldered connections are technically superior connections to push-on connectors.

Perhaps in addition to finally yielding to market demand, Frank serviced one too many miswired customer IEC-modified units and wanted to potentially save the less technically knowledgeable modders from hot chassis mishaps in the future.

But now that he has bent to the demand, it probably still won't please everybody.  There will be those that won't like the generic IEC connector and will want to know why he can't provide over-engineered and overpriced specialty IEC connectors!

Steve

charmerci

« Reply #19 on: 15 Jun 2011, 04:32 pm »

But I never disputed (and commented about it in previous posts) that a soldered-in captive cord was a technically superior connection, just as I believe speaker drivers with soldered connections are technically superior connections to push-on connectors.

Steve

+1!

I've wished that there was a way to solder speaker cable to the amps and speakers without ruining them both - for resale.