More stuff on the bay

dlparker

• Dave Parker - KC, MO
    • DontKnowNuthinBoutNoComputers
Re: More stuff on the bay
« Reply #100 on: 1 Feb 2014, 01:32 am »
We just acquired, tested, and upgraded an original AVA Transcendence Two 140W/Ch power amp built into a very nice black Hafler DH-200 chassis.

This was a very special amplifier, all solid state, all mosfet, and very tube sounding.  It is lovely sounding and in very nice condition.  There are no Hafler circuits, it is all AVA with VERY sophisticated audio circuits that we eventually discontinued because they were just too expensive to build and some of the active devices needed were discontinued.

Fortunately much better than new devices have become available now and with this amp resurrected with all new Exicon power mosfets, both in the output and line circuits, it is now better then new.

We need to get $595 for this gem with a one year AVA parts and labor warranty and a 30 day satisfaction guarantee.

Frank Van Alstine

Is it now an Insight? I can't remember which DH-200/220 upgrade preceeded the synergy, but I grabbed one as soon as it got listed on the Used Equipment page. It's in a DH-220 chassis and I THINK it's an Insight. It is sweet! I'm hanging on to it until I can afford to upgrade my Omega III 260 to the latest Synergy, and then I'm going to see if I can work a trade and upgrade my preamp to an Insight+EC.

avahifi

« Reply #101 on: 1 Feb 2014, 05:41 pm »
No, the used Transcendence Two 250 does not have Insight or Insight+ circuits.  It is an older but great audio design freshly upgraded with modern semiconductors.

It certainly is as nice sounding overall as an Insight+ amplifier.

Frank

mark funk

« Reply #102 on: 23 Feb 2014, 12:40 pm »
What about this one?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dynaco-PAS-3X-w-Van-Alstine-Mods-Hums-Need-Repair-/221379757318?ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1120

:smoke:

Mudslide

« Reply #103 on: 23 Feb 2014, 02:52 pm »
I could tell more if I had a photo of the internal circuits.  There seems to be some kind of a non-standard jack added just to the right of the phono ground terminal on the back panel that we certainly did not do

The Super Pas was pretty easy and inexpensive to repair and was very durable so this might be a good deal if the price is right.  In good working order it is still a lovely sounding preamp but not the last word in transparency and dynamic range.

I am a bit surprised that the owner has not contacted us for a repair estimate.

Frank Van Alstine

The photos are there, Frank.  You have to pull down the pic window to see the bottom 3 (internal guts) pics.

avahifi

« Reply #104 on: 23 Feb 2014, 05:00 pm »
Avoid this one.  It is not properly represented on e-bay.  The seller claims new internal AVA circuit boards.  The internal photos show this is not true.  The unit has original very old Dyna circuit boards and the parts are not the ones we supplied in our earliest do it yourself kits.  It does not have our modern power supply board as claimed.

It appears to have started life as one of our early do it yourself kits, but with many user parts substitutions of unknown value or voltage.

It appears to still have the original or perhaps a replacement quad filter capacitor and that is possibly the hum issue if it is failing.

There is too much wrong with this one for me to be comfortable with.

Frank Van Alstine

avahifi

« Reply #106 on: 24 Feb 2014, 02:21 am »
This appears to be an old VA Systems Model One preamp that I reworked in 1985 to eliminate the unserviceable electronics potted modules.  I am suspect of it though because for some reason the power supply section of the unit is covered over in the photos.

Note that this is not a Dynaco product and has nothing at all to do with any Dynaco designs.

Frank  Van Alstine

Kwebb

avahifi

« Reply #108 on: 25 Feb 2014, 10:25 pm »
This looks like a very nice preamp at a very fair price.  It would still have over a year left of the original AVA three year parts and labor warranty.

Frank Van Alstine

mark funk

« Reply #109 on: 4 Mar 2014, 10:21 pm »
This one looks OK too me, but there is one card standing on end with a little chip? Is this one of those line drivers or buffers?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Van-Alstine-Super-PAS3-pas-3-preamplifier-Dyna-/111292828829?ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1120

avahifi

« Reply #110 on: 4 Mar 2014, 10:55 pm »
This AVA Super Pas Three is in very nice condition and was checked out here and repaired recently as the seller claims.

The vertical board is the line output buffer section, unity gain solid state buffer circuits isolating the tube line stage from real world loads.  This unloads the tubes, improving their linearity, and allows the preamp to drive low impedance amplifier input impedance loads and long interconnect cable runs.  The unit does have our vacuum tube phono section and optional jack set.

I would ask $595 for one this nice if I had one here.

Frank Van Alstine

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?

avahifi

« Reply #112 on: 12 Apr 2014, 04:57 pm »
These three units are over 30 years old so what remaining useful service life is still there is a big unknown.

However, we can still service the preamplifier and power amplifier, but not the tuner.  OEM mechanical parts for the preamp may be long gone however.

Frank Van Alstine

mark funk

« Reply #113 on: 12 May 2014, 09:48 am »

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Van-Alstine-Transcendence-II-Magnavox-CDB610-CD-player-/251528009482?ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1123

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #114 on: 12 May 2014, 12:42 pm »
Meh.  He wants too much for shipping.   :roll:

avahifi

« Reply #115 on: 12 May 2014, 01:24 pm »
This T2 CD player is very old and there are no repair parts available for the stock Philips/Magnavox electronics or mechanical parts.

This unit contains three new PC cards of AVA audio and power supply circuits and was a great sounding unit way back when.  Unfortunately when it quits it won't be repairable (except for the AVA circuits).

My recommendation is avoid it.

Frank Van Alstine

mark funk

« Reply #116 on: 26 May 2014, 12:49 pm »
What is this?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-Hughes-AK100-SRS-Mod-by-Van-Alstine-Sound-Retrieval-System-NICE-CONDITION-/171338920718?ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1123

Tom Alverson

« Reply #117 on: 26 May 2014, 05:20 pm »
What is this?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-Hughes-AK100-SRS-Mod-by-Van-Alstine-Sound-Retrieval-System-NICE-CONDITION-/171338920718?ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1123

Check the info in Audio Basics:
http://www.avahifi.com/images/avahifi/root/audio_basics/ab_pdf/ab1991-05-06.pdf

"Essentially, the Hughes SRS processor inexpensively
generates a huge three dimensional sound
field with amazing imaging and depth with no
need for extra speakers or amplifiers. Only two
loudspeakers and one stereo amplifier are necessary
– the speakers and amplifier you already own.
It even works with mono source material!"

That was 23 years ago.  Not sure how that holds up with today's equipment.

rcag_ils

« Reply #118 on: 27 May 2014, 10:13 pm »
Interesting that this topic comes up since Frank has been an opponent of special effect device. Maybe this particular unit has some merit.

I have been listening to my vintage Phase Linear 2000/series two preamp and 200/series two amp, keep in mind these are from 1978.

There's a feature call "Ambience" on the preamp and it produces a more spatial effect. I am not saying they sound better than my newest components, but these two little vintage units are very listenable.

dlparker

• Dave Parker - KC, MO
    • DontKnowNuthinBoutNoComputers