New Updated KLH 9s Coming!

BruceSB

New Updated KLH 9s Coming!
« on: 4 Dec 2016, 01:24 am »
The KLH 9 is one of the classic speakers of all time.
Well, looks like JansZen are going to bring out a new, updated KLH 9.
There is a "spot" on their speaker model selector but it is not populated yet.
JansZen also offer various maintenance and upgrades for the old KLH 9s as well.
They have been able to substantially improve the old KLH 9s, it will be interesting to see just how good the new ones are.
Think they are going to be called KLH/JansZen Nine, or something like it.
It is all on their website.
Bruce

Hiphile

Re: New Updated KLH 9s Coming!
« Reply #1 on: 4 Dec 2016, 04:37 am »
Bruce are these brand new iterations of the KLH 9 or some limited old stock that they are refurnishing?

BruceSB

« Reply #2 on: 4 Dec 2016, 05:13 am »
Yes, they are selling refurbishing or refurbished/upgraded units.
As regards the new KLH/JansZen Nines they say that if there is interest they will make them.
The exact quote is: "If the response is good, we will be reissuing this model, and building it from scratch".
But, …
The way I read it, if they actually have a spot on their speaker model selector for the new ones, and they have gone to the effort, not just refurbishing, but actually improving them, then it seems to me to be pretty likely!
Add to that the fact that on their 'old' website they spoke about a new more expensive model coming.
I assume that this is it.
Just me putting two and two together.
Maybe someone here knows something more specific.
Bruce

Pryso

« Reply #3 on: 4 Dec 2016, 06:56 pm »
As always, it is best to contact the manufacturer for information.  I know David obtained a few pair of original KLH Nines (which included Janszen electrostatic panels for those not aware) and so is able to rebuild a limited number to sell.  Any plans to reintroduce that design as a new product and the timetable (if so) are best learned directly from him.  He is very "customer-friendly" so I'm confident he will be glad to discuss this with anyone seriously interested.

louie3

« Reply #4 on: 24 Dec 2016, 03:27 pm »
From the Janszen website:

KLH Nines!

We have acquired a dozen pairs of KLH Nine full range electrostatic speakers over the last ten years. This is the still excellent sounding and history making design that my father Arthur A. Janszen created at JansZen Laboratory and had in field tests in 1957, and which was then taken on by KLH and put into production at the end of the 1950's.

The KLH Nine was the first truly full range electrostatic speaker. It was not long ago pronounced one of the 12 most significant speakers of all time, and been written about repeatedly over the years (example).

It was in production for nearly twenty years. There are still many of them stored in people's garages and attics, and some still in use.

Although many are still operating to some degree, it is unusual for any to be reaching their original potential, however, for a few reasons: (1) failure of the antiquated selenium rectifiers in the bias supply unit, which were all that was available in the 1960's for high voltages, (2) failure of the carbon composition resistors in series with the bias supply, and (3) the accumulation of soot on the woofer panels causing leakage paths for the high voltage.

We are in the process of completely dismantling and rebuilding some of these pairs to better than original condition, with better joinery and finishes, fully rebuilt transducers, and modernized supply units fitted with components that will not age appreciably over the next decades. They'll come with a full, transferable, two-year warranty.

These speakers had a list price of about $2,000/pair in 1960. With inflation, they would cost about $15,900 today. We will be offering pairs restored to better than new condition for half that price, $7,950, and are taking pre-orders now. We will certainly be able to make at least four excellent pairs from the dozen we have, and possibly as many as ten.

To ask about these, just send an email to KLH9@janszenloudspeaker.com or call us at +1 (614) 448-1811.

OzarkTom

« Reply #5 on: 24 Dec 2016, 03:37 pm »
I saw a used pair of these on Craigslist for $350 last week.