Transporting WTL Amadeus MKII in Car

sebrof

Transporting WTL Amadeus MKII in Car
« on: 28 Apr 2015, 05:59 pm »
Hey guys I'm planning to take my MKII on a 3-hour car ride from Austin to the Lone Star Audio Fest in Dallas and am wondering what the best way to do it would be. I'd rather not take it apart and pack it back in the box, then set it up and play it for a couple of days, then repeat.

Easiest would be to secure the tonearm on the rest (with a piece of foam under the tonearm) with a wire tie or something, and then being careful not to tip or upset it.

Thoughts?

TIA

roscoeiii

Re: Transporting WTL Amadeus MKII in Car
« Reply #1 on: 28 Apr 2015, 06:14 pm »
Personally I'd pack it in the material it came in. Those packing materials are great. And I'd take no risks for convenience's sake.

rob400

• Versalex and Audio Note for the rest
« Reply #2 on: 28 Apr 2015, 06:27 pm »
I put foam under the platter, secure the tonearm with a cable tie then pop it in it's original box. As long as you don't drive like you're in the Indie 500 you should be fine!

threadkiller

« Reply #3 on: 29 Apr 2015, 03:01 am »
Texas, you say? Well in these here parts the preferred way is to set the table on the passenger floorboard. It's generally the most level place in a car while riding. Yes, wire tie or tape- we like masking tape. Be sure to take your tracking force gauge along and use before you play. Also first make sure ball still in center and then check your azimuth. Always imperative that. Otherwise you're fine. No box, if you please...
Have fun! Show em what's what.

sebrof

« Reply #4 on: 29 Apr 2015, 12:54 pm »
Thanks guys, I think I'll take a bit of advice from each of you. I'll see if securing the tonearm, padding under the platter, and setting it in the box will work. I think it will. We're riding in my bud's luxury type SUV, so it should be a smooth ride in the back, all interstate highways.

I'm bringing it because most people have never seen a WTL, and I think it is an interesting piece for people to check out. And they'll see first hand you don't need no stinkin' cue lever  :thumb:

rob400

« Reply #5 on: 29 Apr 2015, 02:42 pm »
Nice one Sebrof. I think a certain very esteemed member wants a 400 Royale so much he doesn't care if his Amadeus gets marked  :D so don't blame you going with the safe box route.

TimF

« Reply #6 on: 29 Apr 2015, 03:39 pm »
Said esteemed member might even also suggest placing the Amadeus on the roof of the car, oopsie, just lost my table, must get a new one then! Heh heh....

rob400

« Reply #7 on: 29 Apr 2015, 04:00 pm »
But then Charlie's Amadeus won't be available for you to buy Tim. Go on! You know it makes sense.

TimF

« Reply #8 on: 30 Apr 2015, 02:33 pm »
Certainly Rob, the Amadeus is on my mind a lot. The biggest thing keeping me from going back to analog is that my album collection was sold about 12 years ago, and to start from scratch makes it a tough sell/commitment for me financially. With that said, we shall see, never say never is my motto!

rob400

« Reply #9 on: 30 Apr 2015, 03:43 pm »
You do know that this is a turntable forum circle Tim  :D Plenty of good sources for second hand vinyl out there....

TimF

« Reply #10 on: 30 Apr 2015, 06:37 pm »
Sure do, but for me I would end up buying LP's of things I already have digitally, so it becomes kind of a silly(sort of)exercise. I can buy a whole lot more music for the cost of a deck, cartridge and phono stage. But hey, I still enjoy lurking here and one day, when I least expect it, insanity will definately rule!   :)

rob400

« Reply #11 on: 30 Apr 2015, 07:52 pm »
 :scratch:

threadkiller

« Reply #12 on: 1 May 2015, 06:22 am »
Well well, some rather large talk on here...
Yes yes, the Royale is in my sights..we shall see, or rather, hear if Firebsugh still has it. If it's as good as I hope I may disappear for two years and play records daily- well, I do that now. :)
Speaking of... Tim, I can understand your quandary.. yet look at it this way.. when you hear music done right, isn't it better to pursue that than to listen to something less than? Make it special, make it an occasion. Otherwise it becomes akin to listening casually to a table radio- which is fine and often goosebump inducing. Yet then why bother at all? I run into a lot of people with systems who have burn out. Don't play it anymore.
A host of factors I'm sure, yet bad sources seem prominent. Maybe you should try listening to a WTL and see what all the fuss is about. It would be hard starting over, yet as the more esteemed ones have said there's still a lot of great records out there, and more great reissues coming all the time.

What table did you have before?

TimF

« Reply #13 on: 1 May 2015, 02:13 pm »
Hi Rob, Charlie. I probably should just maybe bow out as I am taking up needless space for those that do own and love the WT etc. Charlie, I use to own a fairly top spec LP12 at the end of my LP adventures, and probably would still have it, but life intervened in a rather large way. But I have been around WT tables probably since the late-90's or thereabouts, and have listened to the various ones and do know what they are capable of, including the Simplex and Amadeus. I do know what the fuss is all about!

What I do not want to convey is my dis-satisfaction or being burned out on what I have currently. In fact, I am extremely pleased with my Uniti. It just works well and sounds great to me as a source. Yes, believe me, I do understand the goose-bumps, the special occasion or the "process" with analog and the sonic delights, and I do love it. I realize there is a wealth of used LP's out there, but again, does it make sense in some aspects to spend say 3-5K(depending on finding used gear etc.) and then throw in the start of another medium all over again at this stage? That is the hard part for me to swallow at this juncture, but also something I do tend to come back to time and again.

Again, I suppose it is all about perspective, and more importantly for me right now, the money. So, chewing the fat I suppose, and lurking still.

threadkiller

« Reply #14 on: 1 May 2015, 02:37 pm »
Lurk away, I say.. your lurking is more welcome here then my babbling.
Uniti? No wonder you're happy.. I still have a Qute and will never part with it. Still think it the sweetest sounding of the Naim pieces.
I can see you adding a small phono stage, like the DV P75, an Amadeus with DV 20L and you'll be dancing round the dining room in no time...
Sorry for your misfortunes, yet the LP 12 had to go sooner or later..but don't you- stay on and keep me honest...

rob400

« Reply #15 on: 1 May 2015, 05:13 pm »
I realize there is a wealth of used LP's out there, but again, does it make sense in some aspects to spend say 3-5K(depending on finding used gear etc.) and then throw in the start of another medium all over again at this stage? That is the hard part for me to swallow at this juncture, but also something I do tend to come back to time and again.
Only you can decide how much money and time a vinyl investment is worth Tim. Like the Governor wrote 'lurk away". This forum isn't frequented by some of the contradictory for the sake of it PFM members so you will continue to be well received.....

TimF

« Reply #16 on: 1 May 2015, 06:04 pm »
Thanks for allowing me to lurk, and also, why I probably do frequently come around is that it is a good place to be, no big atitudes etc. like some of the other places for sure. And certainly at some point, I may even talk myself into just getting a Simplex or Amadeaus and then I will have much to talk about!  :)

threadkiller

« Reply #17 on: 1 May 2015, 11:41 pm »
Hey, better to be a lurking Tim than a peeping Tom...

rob400

« Reply #18 on: 2 May 2015, 12:18 pm »
Hey, better to be a lurking Tim than a peeping Tom...
Or a cheeky Charlie :-)

threadkiller

« Reply #19 on: 2 May 2015, 01:45 pm »
Good one, Rob. Cheeky and charming, yet never deaf.