SPATIAL AUDIO - X1 UNIWAVE INTRODUCTION

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Re: SPATIAL AUDIO - X1 UNIWAVE INTRODUCTION
« Reply #140 on: 4 Jan 2017, 12:44 am »
I agree jtwrace!  That is the look (white/grey) I ordered from Clayton.  I am very excited!   :D
Very cool!  Didn't know you were a buyer too.   :thumb:

targa02

« Reply #141 on: 4 Jan 2017, 01:08 am »

Yep!  I have been talking to Clayton for quite a while, trying to decide between the Lumina and X1.  The X1 checks a lot of boxes for me, especially no passive crossover.

Don_S

« Reply #142 on: 4 Jan 2017, 01:10 am »

Is this the final version or only a prototype?  Those tube skyscrapers won't fit in my rack or most others for that matter.

Don_S

« Reply #143 on: 4 Jan 2017, 01:13 am »

targa02 and jtwrace,  What version/amplification are you getting?

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #144 on: 4 Jan 2017, 01:13 am »

Is this the final version or only a prototype?  Those tube skyscrapers won't fit in my rack or most others for that matter.
The DHT isn't a prototype.  The amp/crossover/eq (blue in the pic) with the X1 is though. 

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #145 on: 4 Jan 2017, 01:17 am »
The tube "skyscrapers" are only in the LIO DHT. 

All other version will have no problems.

That said, maybe a new rack is a better solution.

The LIO DHT looks great on a platform + Daedalus DiD's.

George

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #146 on: 4 Jan 2017, 01:31 am »

The LIO DHT looks great on a platform + Daedalus DiD's.

George

I've got to say, it doesn't look great to me. :peek:

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #147 on: 4 Jan 2017, 01:37 am »
I've got to say, it doesn't look great to me. :peek:

How dare you!!   :guns: :guns:

Just kidding...no issues with you not liking it.

Below  is a wider pic of the system.

George

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #148 on: 4 Jan 2017, 02:13 am »
Offense not intended—I just have a 'thing' about unnecessarily exposed tubes on an otherwise plain box, beyond the fact they are very vulnerable without any protection.

I do like your acoustic absorption on the front wall, though!

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #149 on: 4 Jan 2017, 02:14 am »
Offense not intended—I just have a 'thing' about unnecessarily exposed tubes on an otherwise plain box, beyond the fact they are very vulnerable without any protection.

I do like your acoustic absorption on the front wall, though!
There are tube covers but he doesn't have them installed.

targa02

« Reply #150 on: 5 Jan 2017, 06:48 am »

Hi Don.   I have an internal struggle going on in my mind between using a Vinnie Rossi amp with analog crossovers versus the DEQX HDP-5.  With Vinnie's product I am obviously off the grid and I am a BIG fan of Vinnie.  With the DEQX unit the crossovers are in the arguably more efficient digital domain and I can use their sophisticated room correction and loudspeaker calibration.  If I go with the DEQX unit I will use nCore 400 monos for the woofers and a Linear Tube Audio ZOTL 40 (http://www.lineartubeaudio.com/products/zotl40) for the compression drivers.  I wish I could go with both options!

roscoeiii

« Reply #151 on: 5 Jan 2017, 12:43 pm »
Love my DEQX HD-4, even though I am not using it to its full capabilities (not using it for a digital crossover).

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #152 on: 5 Jan 2017, 01:17 pm »
Hi Don.   I have an internal struggle going on in my mind between using a Vinnie Rossi amp with analog crossovers versus the DEQX HDP-5.  With Vinnie's product I am obviously off the grid and I am a BIG fan of Vinnie.  With the DEQX unit the crossovers are in the arguably more efficient digital domain and I can use their sophisticated room correction and loudspeaker calibration.  If I go with the DEQX unit I will use nCore 400 monos for the woofers and a Linear Tube Audio ZOTL 40 (http://www.lineartubeaudio.com/products/zotl40) for the compression drivers.  I wish I could go with both options!

nCore amps are a great match with Spatial Speakers and the LIO.

That said, I am leaning towards selling my NC1200 mono amps and going with a full LIO ampflication solution if I get the X-1's.

George

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #153 on: 5 Jan 2017, 03:13 pm »
I'll use the Vinnie Rossi amp/crossover/eq module.  Having it done in the analog domain is the superior way to do it IMO.

roscoeiii

« Reply #154 on: 5 Jan 2017, 04:13 pm »
Hopefully at some point (AXPONA 2018 hopefully!!) we can hear a direct comparison of the DEQX and LIO options. Though if this was done in a show situation, it may privilege the DEQX option due to nasty room conditions. DEQX would likely be less needed in a well-treated room. But even there, it can get rid of room effects (and maybe timing or phase issues unrelated to the room) that cannot be addressed through analog or room treatment efforts.

The measurements with Vinnie's analog crossover were certainly VERY impressive, but there are some things that an analog crossover cannot or often do not address (room differences, phase, timing), and my experiences with the DEQX have shown it to be very transparent even when employing its ADC. Certainly the benefits of the DEQX in my system outweigh any slight degradation that the ADC might add. And I have read that the current HDP-4 and HDP-5 are significant improvements over earlier models in terms of their transparency, especially in the ADC.

At the risk of derailing the thread, Jason (or anyone else) I'm curious why you think that the analog domain is superior. On the face of it, I have a hard time seeing advantages, as long as a) everything is in the digital domain and a quality DAC is used and b) there is a high quality ADC used for analog inputs.

Also, IIRC some of the DEQX use a SMPS, in which case those could be replaced with an Ultracapacitor input from Vinnie. Though the steep learning curve of the DEQX would remain.

Don_S

« Reply #155 on: 5 Jan 2017, 04:16 pm »
targa02 and jtwrace,

Thank for the responses.  Two different approaches.  Good luck to both of you.

KLH007

« Reply #156 on: 5 Jan 2017, 11:48 pm »
nCore amps are a great match with Spatial Speakers and the LIO.

That said, I am leaning towards selling my NC1200 mono amps and going with a full LIO ampflication solution if I get the X-1's.

George

George, Selling Veritas, Atsah, or another NC1200 amp?

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #157 on: 6 Jan 2017, 12:17 am »
George, Selling Veritas, Atsah, or another NC1200 amp?

Atsah.

PM me if interested.

George

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #158 on: 6 Jan 2017, 12:40 am »
At the risk of derailing the thread, Jason (or anyone else) I'm curious why you think that the analog domain is superior. On the face of it, I have a hard time seeing advantages, as long as a) everything is in the digital domain and a quality DAC is used and b) there is a high quality ADC used for analog inputs.

Also, IIRC some of the DEQX use a SMPS, in which case those could be replaced with an Ultracapacitor input from Vinnie. Though the steep learning curve of the DEQX would remain.
Definitely lets not derail the thread.  However, you asked for an opinion so I'll give one.   :)

I guess I'm anti another box as it does add cables, AC power among many other things that is anti LIO.  Further, I'm a firm believer in fixing the room with treatments and purchase speakers that are designed properly that don't need tweaking in the digital domain to get them "right".  Having used DRC in the past you can easily muck-up the sound by "fixing" the curve when what you really need to do is either buy speakers that suite the space and/or fix the room. 

This is my opinion after years of doing it both ways and measuring the room. 

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #159 on: 7 Jan 2017, 10:34 pm »
I wish I could go with both options!
How far from Pacifica are you?