Signal path from server to DAC?

matthewpartrick

• vinnierossiforum.com
    • The Clueless Audiophile
Signal path from server to DAC?
« on: 15 Mar 2015, 04:07 pm »
The plan is iTunes--AirPlay--LIO DAC.  So, a few questions:

Can I use Audirvana with AirPlay or do I need a hardwire from mac to DAC? 

If I use a USB That automatically bypasses the macs internal DAC yes?

Another mildly related question:  anyone ever tried to use time capsule as an external drive to store iTunes music?

brh

Re: Signal path from server to DAC?
« Reply #1 on: 15 Mar 2015, 11:49 pm »
I'm 95% sure you'll have no problem just setting your AirPlay device as the DAC in Audirvana. Now, AirPlay is the protocol… we need more information as to what is receiving the AirPlay stream exactly… AirPort Express? Apple TV? Either of those you can just run an optical cable (TOSLINK for TV, TOSLINK mini (1/8") for APE, I believe) to LIO. Either of those solutions are digital the whole way through, neither the Mac's DAC nor the DAC in APE (TV has no DAC that I'm aware of) would be used. I do not believe there is a USB solution for either of these. APE's USB port is for printer sharing, possibly storage, but I'm quite certain there's no USB audio support. If you're connecting a computer to LIO via USB, you are correct there as well — the only DAC in play will be LIO's. I know you're planning to use Audirvana, but know that iTunes supports bitperfect playback as well without issue.

Vinnie R.

« Reply #2 on: 16 Mar 2015, 03:23 pm »
The plan is iTunes--AirPlay--LIO DAC.  So, a few questions:

Can I use Audirvana with AirPlay or do I need a hardwire from mac to DAC? 

If I use a USB That automatically bypasses the macs internal DAC yes?

Another mildly related question:  anyone ever tried to use time capsule as an external drive to store iTunes music?

Hi matthewpartrick,

I have no experience using Audirvana with Airplay.  I use it on my Macbook Air and have a USB connection to LIO's dac.
You might want to contact Audirvana as they are mostly likely to know the answer.

Yes - using USB automatically bypasses the internal dac on the Mac.  The only way you'll be using the internal dac of the Mac
is if you use the headphone output jack. 

I also have not used Time Capsule as an external drive. 

Thanks brh for chiming in.  It sounds like when you use Airplay, you will be streaming to an airport express or apple TV, and the output to your LIO's dac will be optical (mini-TOSLINK to TOSLINK).  I'm not sure if it is limited to 24/96k as it is on the macbooks optical output, or if it can do up to 24/192 (or even 32/384).

Vinnie

srb

« Reply #3 on: 16 Mar 2015, 03:43 pm »
It sounds like when you use Airplay, you will be streaming to an airport express or apple TV, and the output to your LIO's dac will be optical (mini-TOSLINK to TOSLINK).  I'm not sure if it is limited to 24/96k as it is on the macbooks optical output, or if it can do up to 24/192 (or even 32/384).

The Apple Airport Express and Apple TV are both limited to 16/48.  If bit-perfect output is important, the Airport Express will give you that; the Apple TV upsamples to 16/48.

Steve

Vinnie R.

« Reply #4 on: 16 Mar 2015, 04:56 pm »
The Apple Airport Express and Apple TV are both limited to 16/48.  If bit-perfect output is important, the Airport Express will give you that; the Apple TV upsamples to 16/48.

Steve

Hi Steve,

Thanks for confirming!

Vinnie

matthewpartrick

• vinnierossiforum.com
    • The Clueless Audiophile
« Reply #5 on: 17 Mar 2015, 12:55 am »
I will play around with hardwire vs AirPlay and see If I can hear a difference.  Thx!

brh

« Reply #6 on: 17 Mar 2015, 01:20 am »
Worth noting, just in case, that you can't do DSD over AirPlay either, as DoP 64 needs 176.4kHz sample rate PCM.