Installing wood flooring on walls

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Installing wood flooring on walls
« on: 23 Nov 2016, 07:03 pm »
My wife and I would like to use flooring to create an accent wall behind our bed in our master suite.

While I have installed multiple floors before, I have never installed flooring on a wall.

Looking at various videos and blogs on the web, it seems fairly straightforward, but you never know...

I wanted to check and see if anybody here had actually done it and could provide their thoughts and insights.

Thanks,

George

P.S.

Here is an example of what I am looking to do:

Big Red Machine

Re: Installing wood flooring on walls
« Reply #1 on: 23 Nov 2016, 07:57 pm »
See it all the time now.

I put cork flooring in my old HT as wainscoting. Put it in vertically with a chair rail. Super easy.

ctviggen

« Reply #2 on: 23 Nov 2016, 10:46 pm »
If you go that route, you can use prefinished wood flooring, which makes it easy.  We had a carpenter do the bottom half of our room like this, but he put particle board behind the flooring.  Using particle board or plywood provides more nailing points, else you're limited to nailing every 16 inches.  If you're taking down the wall, you might as well replace the insulation and air seal or add insulation and air seal.  Usually you face nail the first and last row; otherwise you nail through the lip.

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
« Reply #3 on: 24 Nov 2016, 12:50 am »

Something else to consider. Vinyl plank.