Brystn Bdp -1usb and Bddp -2

maplegrovemusic

• Please Be kind to your ears .... Treat your room
Brystn Bdp -1usb and Bddp -2
« on: 31 Mar 2015, 04:23 pm »
please help clarify these devices for me. Looking at the recent Audio Advisor mailing . In the ad it states "perfect if you love the dac you have already" regarding the bdp 1- usb  . i do not love my current dac and plan on buying a bda 1 or 2 . If i get the bda 1 or 2 do i still need the bdp ? What do these extra boxes replace in ones system ? And what do you need in your computer system for these to work ? I currently use a mac mini and Audirvana software running iTunes . I predominately listen to music on my hard drive . I also do not and do not plan on listening to hi rez music . So in a nutshell do i need anything besides the bda 1 or 2 with my setup and listening habits ?

ttsto

Re: Brystn Bdp -1usb and Bddp -2
« Reply #1 on: 31 Mar 2015, 04:29 pm »
BDP is designed to replace your Mac mini, Audionirvana and iTunes.
If you do not want this, you should only look for a DAC to replace the one you do not love

maplegrovemusic

« Reply #2 on: 31 Mar 2015, 04:33 pm »
ok , if it replaces all three of those , what type of interface will i be looking at for music navigation and playback  . How does this get setup , what also is need in addition . i would assume a hard drive ? do i need a computer monitor ?

ttsto

« Reply #3 on: 31 Mar 2015, 04:40 pm »
BDP is a computer designed for audio
It will require a storage device where you store music: USB hard drive, USB stick or a NAS or an internal SSD (only BDP2)
For set up you need to connect BDP to your home network (no WiFi, only Ethernet cable), open Safari or other similar explorer software and type in IP address of the BDP
Also is possible to control BDP via smartphone or tablet.
More info here:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=92231.0

maplegrovemusic

« Reply #4 on: 31 Mar 2015, 04:46 pm »
Thanks, I am technically challenged when it comes to computers . Seems like a lot of work for me with hassles bound to pop up . Is the sound improvement worth it ? What kind of sound improvements might i expect if any ? What would you say is the biggest reason one would switch to this way over my current way of doing things ?

Pneumonic

« Reply #5 on: 31 Mar 2015, 04:59 pm »
Thanks, I am technically challenged when it comes to computers . Seems like a lot of work for me with hassles bound to pop up . Is the sound improvement worth it ? What kind of sound improvements might i expect if any ? What would you say is the biggest reason one would switch to this way over my current way of doing things ?

The well designed, purpose built players (such as the BDP) will have had considerable R&D done in areas that may prove critical to sound quality.

In such designs you'll find great attention paid to low jitter clocking, proper ground plane work and circuit layout, superior power supply implementation, quality PCB's stuffed with quality component parts and proper separation of analog and digital circuitry; all with audio quality in mind.

This versus a mass produced computer build which uses off the shelf parts and not much attention to detail with the goal in mind for audio quality.

Whether or not the benefits are realized only the user can tell after trying the setups out. 

ttsto

« Reply #6 on: 31 Mar 2015, 05:04 pm »
This is very subjective answer and will depend on your entire system, including the room where you listen music, on the quality of the files you have (lossy, lossless, high rez), on the type of music you listen and not the last, on your habits and expectations when it comes to critical listening.
People searching for improvement in their audio systems look mainly to more realistic display of the music, compared with a live performance; many times you get only a fraction of improvement while spending some good money; for some people this fraction of improvement is worthy, for others not.
Do not buy based on reviews. Go to a dealer, ask if you can compare your source with the player, and judge with your ears.