Record Store Day 2014

orthobiz

Record Store Day 2014
« on: 17 Apr 2014, 10:42 pm »
Gosh, I'm so out of it, I didn't realize it is sneaking up this weekend!!!

Number one for me is the Idle Race, Birthday Party reissue. Jeff Lynne's first group, the one he disbanded in order to join Roy Wood and The Move. And anyone who knows me knows I can't shut up about The Move. The Idle Race is a guaranteed wonderful slice of 60's pop confection that will have you smiling. GUARANTEED.

Husker Du, New Day Rising. My copy sounds awful. Either a bad pressing or it's garage grunge stuff that was meant to sound bad. Still, tuneful stuff.

Stone Roses, debut album. Don't have it. Need it.

Anyone else? My kids will go nuts over all the NOFX stuff.

Paul

putz

Re: Record Store Day 2014
« Reply #1 on: 18 Apr 2014, 04:02 am »
I've been going every year for a while now. Lines in NJ (Vintage Vinyl or PREX) are pretty long both to get into the store and then to pay. But both stores get a lot of stuff in.

Selections I'm considering:

The Animals EP
Bowie 1984 Picture Disc
Gil Scott Heron
Devo Live at Max's
Fleetwood Mac 45
Jerry Garcia solo album
Nirvana 45
Ronnie Spector and E St Band
Springsteen American Beauty
The Standells 45
The Sunrays 45
Newport Folk Festival
Zappa 45
Zombies Odyssey and Oracle
Harry Dean Stanton 45
Stranglers 45
Johnny Winter Live
Ron Jeremy 45
Ghostbusters Glow in the Dark 10"

I'll see what's available and whittle it down if too much finds it's way into my pile. I've been a good boy lately only buying some select stuff (new Beck album, Johnny Cash American 4 and Zep 1 preorder).

So who else is going and where do you go.

vinyl_lady

« Reply #2 on: 18 Apr 2014, 03:16 pm »
4000 Holes in Spokane WA. I did not see much I'm interested in buying this year. I'm not interested in buying 7" 45s (I have in the past and never play them). Not a big fan of 10" either. Interested in

Broken Bells
Civil Wars
Death Cab for Cutie
Everly Brothers
Norman Greenbaum
Springsteen
Velvet Underground
Zombies I Love You
REM
Idle Race
spoon

Laura

Devil Doc

• On the road to Perdition
« Reply #3 on: 18 Apr 2014, 03:53 pm »
Pitchfork Records in Concord NH
Don't have a wish list. Saves me the disappointment. I'll just buy what strikes my fancy at the time. I'm of the mind that RSD is becoming more of an event for gougers than vinyl lovers.

Doc

Gzerro

« Reply #4 on: 18 Apr 2014, 04:02 pm »
Rasputin Records in Fresno CA

I am with Doc. I will go but don't have my heart set on anything.

putz

« Reply #5 on: 18 Apr 2014, 04:47 pm »
Resellers suck but such is life. Most of what ends up on ebay is not sold at much of a premium and since people don't like to stand in line or are busy that day, there is a market for their services (The scalpers of vinyl).

This one day keeps a lot of Indie shops in business for the rest of the year and it keeps the record companies pressing vinyl so overall this is a good thing.

I make a list so I don't go too crazy and the shops I've been to don't have all the merch on display.

WireNut

« Reply #6 on: 18 Apr 2014, 09:24 pm »
 :(  I'm out of cash this week   :banghead: :bawl:

Minn Mark

« Reply #7 on: 19 Apr 2014, 06:46 pm »
My wife waited in line to get into the electric fetus in St Cloud, MN hoping to get a copy of the REM unplugged release. No copies. There are 50 sets already on sale on ebay for upwards of $350. This is not what RSD and quality audio is about. Makes me sick.

Hope you did better.   :roll:

M

Devil Doc

• On the road to Perdition
« Reply #8 on: 19 Apr 2014, 07:51 pm »
I did pretty good for having no expectations.
Doc Watson: Southbound
Jack Elliott: Jack Elliott
The Civil Wars: Live at Eddie's Attic
Big Momma Thornton: Sassy Momma
Sam Cooke: Ain't that Good News
Otis Redding: Pain in My Heart
The Doors: Weird Scenes from the Gold Mine
Plus M- copies of Merry Clayton's eponymous album and Emotion and Jackson Browne's Running on Empty.

Doc

roscoeiii

« Reply #9 on: 19 Apr 2014, 08:22 pm »
Great luck this RSD.

Notwist
Joy Division
Spoon
Pinback
Omar Souleyman
The Field
Sun Ra

MaxCast

« Reply #10 on: 19 Apr 2014, 09:46 pm »
what was the REM selling for at the store?

orthobiz

« Reply #11 on: 19 Apr 2014, 11:01 pm »
I had to do an emergency surgery and never made it out to the store!

Paul

putz

« Reply #12 on: 20 Apr 2014, 12:11 am »
what was the REM selling for at the store?

$90 was suggested list.

The ebay price is usually super high at first and then settles down unless enough people are willing to get gouged. I can live with the Flippers reselling on ebay. They probably spent many hours standing on line to buy their stuff. What is unforgiveable are the unscrupulous store owners/employees who pull the product and then resell it.

I got to Vintage Vinyl in NJ at 7:30 am and there were hundreds of people already on line. Some of them were there since Friday. Got into the store at 9:30 and got 12 items but missed out on another 7 I wanted. I'm not willing to spend 10 hours on line so it's off to ebay where I'll buy stuff if the price is reasonable

dminches

« Reply #13 on: 20 Apr 2014, 12:26 am »
$90 was suggested list.

The ebay price is usually super high at first and then settles down unless enough people are willing to get gouged. I can live with the Flippers reselling on ebay. They probably spent many hours standing on line to buy their stuff. What is unforgiveable are the unscrupulous store owners/employees who pull the product and then resell it.

The issue I have is with the labels who are artificially creating a situation which encourages people to buy up the supplies and sell them for ridiculous prices. There is no reason to make these limited releases. Plus, it is bad business. If someone pays $300 for the REM set then they are probably not going to spend tons of money on the labels' other releases.

Plus, is any of this really analog or just digital masters pressed onto vinyl?