Pono Music- Will this be the future of HiFi?

geowak

Mike B.

Re: Pono Music- Will this be the future of HiFi?
« Reply #1 on: 17 Apr 2014, 01:50 am »
I am afraid it will go the way of DVD-Audio and SACD. Not enough new software. I think Neil Young wants to improve the fidelity and attract MP3 users away from that format? That will require new music to be available for download at, or close to MP3 costs. If that doesn't happen, I predict a limited success for the product. The triangle shape of the players is also a concern in terms of transporting in in pockets.

Crimson

« Reply #2 on: 17 Apr 2014, 04:28 am »
It's all about the medium. Not the player.

The more the masses understand this, the better it is for all of us.

geowak

« Reply #3 on: 18 Apr 2014, 06:12 pm »
Cannot really figure out what Neil Young wants to do with Pono Music. He might be trying to cash in on PORTABLE HIRES quality music, just the way Steve Jobs did with the Ipod on PORTABLE LOWRES quality music. I dont't think i am sold on the idea that he thinks consumers are not getting quality music, therefore he is here to rescue us. There is some real cash to be made here, either with NY or someone else. The time is right... for HIREZ music to be heard anywhere you are.

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #4 on: 18 Apr 2014, 08:34 pm »
I dont't think i am sold on the idea that he thinks consumers are not getting quality music, therefore he is here to rescue us.

This is exactly what I think Neil Young is thinking. If he needs more money than he's got at this stage, there'd be easier ways for him to make it than this. I think that he does believe that people will gravitate towards quality sound given a viable way of accessing it that fits into how people consume music now. He is trying to serve a target market that may or may not actually exist - a new generation of music-to-go audiophiles. Their age demographic may require more current offerings than a re-hash of old catalogue titles offered up at higher resolutions in order to succeed. That's where things could go sideways with Pono.
 If he succeeds and this nu-audiophile demo does actually turn out to exist and provide a market for what he's offering, good for him and for all of us. If he gives iTunes a good kick in the ass while he's at it, better yet.

What I'm not totally convinced about is that these nu-audiophiles actually do exist.  Is there any buzz about Pono outside of the hi-fi hothouse ?

D.D.

geowak

« Reply #5 on: 18 Apr 2014, 10:06 pm »
For what it is worth... I hope Pono music succeeds, I really do. I hope that everyone is able to enjoy true HIRES audio, and I don't mind if we all pay for it. The time should be over for everyone getting music free, without any cost. Artists should be making some money, even if the internet has led to more artists getting their music out there to hear.

I never liked the fact that recording companies were making the majority of the money on the backs of the artist musicians.
Now an artist (NY) wants to turn the tables a little....great.

Phil A

« Reply #6 on: 19 Apr 2014, 01:36 am »
I wish him the best of luck.  Personally I could care less about hi-rez in a portable player though.  For me personally, I'm fine with 320bps MP3s on the iPod in the car.  I still have Koss Pro 4AAA headphones which I have not used in 30 years.  If the player had USB out that I could take into a DAC or to my USB input in the car (and I could do Apple lossless hi-rez too), I'd be all over it for at least a spare system.  If they cut the price in half, it still would be of no interest.  If he's looking to convert the low-res compressed file users I don't think he's going to get tons of them (perhaps a few).  I see this as a niche market for a few years before it goes away.

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
« Reply #7 on: 21 Apr 2014, 04:36 pm »
"I never liked the fact that recording companies were making the majority of the money on the backs of the artist musicians.
Now an artist (NY) wants to turn the tables a little....great."

+1

martyo

« Reply #8 on: 21 Apr 2014, 07:04 pm »
FROM THE AXPONA 2014 WEBSITE:                    FROM THE AXPONA 2014 WEBSITE:             FROM THE AXPONA 2014 WEBSITE:
Meet PonoMusic – Hear Music the Way it Was Made
Open to All Attendees!
SPEAKERS
John Hamm
CEO, PonoMusic
PonoMusic, the brainchild of Neil Young, is focused on the mission to allow listeners to experience music the way artists intended. PonoMusic is both an online music store and playback device offering the finest quality, and highest-resolution digital music. Join John Hamm, CEO of PonoMusic for an informative seminar and q&a session to learn about this unique digital music experience.

To learn more about Pono visit www.ponomusic.com.