RMAF Debate....

HAL

• Industry Contributor
Re: RMAF Debate....
« Reply #20 on: 17 Apr 2014, 06:29 pm »
The RMAF lobby always has tables setup for folks like Parts Express to show off their items and make sales like in the record and CD room.  Possibly an arrangement with Skiing Ninja to have a setup downstairs with XO's and speaker kits available to actually sell.  Possibly a set of speakers like N1X, N2X or N3X with Ninja Nobel XO's to show the level of finish that is possible.  My N2X's sound great with the OB 8" servo subs. 

To let folks here them, I like the idea of a smaller room with rotating speakers like was done with the V1's and others in the Virtue Audio room that one year.   Set a time schedule like posted before so folks know.  The N series would be great setup with the servo subs. 

The idea of the entry level Serenity Planars and small servo subs in a setup is a big one to me.   

tasar

« Reply #21 on: 17 Apr 2014, 07:20 pm »
Dylan said it best, " the times they are a changing". Demographics aside, the 21st century slaves, the American worker, have plenty on their plate. I know, I have 3 in that high earning years category, they're BUSY ! They want sound where they "work"....  the desk ( home or away). They're eyes glaze over seeing tubes, batteries, cords. Those few in " the know" are your strengths, but demographics forward, are fatal to such marketing. Your worst enemy, ironically, DIY ! Hey, I'm a bottom feeder myself !

The future is not dedicated rooms, it's multi-purpose electronics, and all the "docks" between traveling ears. Ultimately it's DSP room re-creation(see UA Studio software), and carbon chip cochlear implants. Dudes, we're in the Time Tunnel !

Anyway, Jason is right, keep it simple. If it's not "cash and carry", it's too big( oops forgot you're in TX). " Audio Jewelry" is "upstream", you need to gear for "mainstream", the profit's all the same. "Units sold" always wins the game, whether that's intellectual property, or mini monitors.

Oh, JP and Throwback, there used to be a saying back in my "Bahstin" schoolin days. Two jokes, someone yelled from the back of the unemployment line..." I went to school for this ?".... Everyone up front turned around and yelled...." Hey buddy, we all went to school" ! Then the best from the early 70s...." What do you call a cab driver in Boston ? Answer.... P   h   D.

persisting1

« Reply #22 on: 17 Apr 2014, 09:14 pm »
Two loudspeakers I would like to see at a show would be the X-Otica and the Serenity Acoustics Super Mini. Both still in the design phase from what I understand. X-Otica could be set-up with real-world electronics and the Super Mini with true state of the art gear.

I think a lot of people are waiting for the X-Otica or a variation of it.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #23 on: 17 Apr 2014, 09:39 pm »
I agree with most of the opinions here.

One thing about the Mockingbird and Serenity speaker the last couple years, is that the only credibility they have is the fact that you designed them. Otherwise pretty much unknown brands, and while your designs sound very good and win awards, if I was in the market for speakers in that price range this would be a major issue for me. Will I get support in the future? Maybe, but those companies may also be out of business next year. The designer has no responsibility to support the product, that's the manufacturers' job.

Also, the amps... neither the big or little Dodds were appropriate imo. One too big, the other too small. Both sound great, but are not gear people would typically buy with those speakers.

The DAC sounds good too, but it's too difficult to get optimal results making playing music people have brought in too difficult as well.

As a showcase for GR and Dodd I think it works well, and don't discount the fact that winning awards will make folks more likely to buy your lower end products, sort of like how motorsports is a marketing tool for automakers. So with that in mind, it's difficult to say how much business you have gotten as a result of simply being at RMAF with a system that gets good reviews and wins awards.

I think both showcasing your capabilities in a cost-no-object system AND demoing gear that's your "bread and butter" are approaches that have merit and both are probably worth doing. But you have also proved you can do the high-end thing well over the last few years, so I could see taking a break from that and focusing on demoing lower end gear. Bring stock and have show specials people can walk out of the door with.

CSI

« Reply #24 on: 17 Apr 2014, 10:12 pm »
I worked in Sales and Marketing for several different successful manufacturers (in the Custom Install space) and we had exactly the same internal debate every year. In our case, the shows were CES and CEDIA but the dilemma was the same. It boiled down to, "We are doing well in spite of the economy" (and we were) "so we really don't need the show (there were plenty of reps and dealers and we all made lots of road trips to meet the customers). "so why go to the (considerable) expense and devote so much manpower (also considerable) and wear everybody out" (Everybody works hard at these things and, once back home and the adrenalin wore off, we were all pooped). Yet, in spite of this we always went back year after year. The reason? We were afraid not to! God forbid the rumors would start that XYZ, Inc. isn't at the show this year so they must be doing poorly. From that standpoint, it was a vicious cycle.

TF1216

• Industry Participant
« Reply #25 on: 17 Apr 2014, 10:19 pm »
If the turn out is like last year couldn't a raffle pay for a lot of your trip?  A couple of bucks for a ticket to win a piece of gear.  Shoot, I know I would add in a few bucks to win something especially if it's something from you, Mr. Dodd, or Dave.

Don_S

« Reply #26 on: 18 Apr 2014, 12:21 am »
Aside from business considerations, what is your personal energy level toward RMAF? Do a gut check.

I have been to CES 8 out of the last 9 years.  I skipped one year with mixed feelings.  Yes, I missed the fun (and the people even more) but I did not need the expense or repetition.  After skipping a year the next trip was more appreciated and the excitement had returned. 

Now I am thinking of skipping 2015.  2014 had some new equipment but not enough that interested me.

Think of skipping a year as the pause that refreshes. Good luck with whatever you decide.   :thumb:

sfox7076

« Reply #27 on: 18 Apr 2014, 04:52 pm »
I am a bankruptcy lawyer.  One of the first cuts most businesses make when they are starting to founder is advertising/promotional (which is really what RMAF is).  When you do that, you are setting yourself up for decreased revenue.  It isn't that you can sell kits at the show when you go so that you are paying for your trip.  It is the sales you get from showing up  and being in print, in being there to promote things, etc.  You are in a niche business.  Being in the niche is hard and it isn't always won on who makes the better product.  It's often won on who makes a good product that someone has heard or has been written about.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #28 on: 18 Apr 2014, 05:23 pm »
If you don't go, then who the heck am I going to give my Best in Show award to?  :P

Why not just downscale to a smaller room and a simpler system?  Show what can be done with a modest budget.  Odyssey is great at this and they do it every year, but no one else really does, as far as I can tell.

AKLegal

« Reply #29 on: 18 Apr 2014, 07:06 pm »
I like the idea someone posted about having a setup around the O-3 with a pair of open baffle subs.  I've heard this speaker numerous times and it sounds great.  The setup may win some value/budget awards without being too difficult to deal with.

Early B.

« Reply #30 on: 18 Apr 2014, 07:37 pm »
I like the idea someone posted about having a setup around the O-3 with a pair of open baffle subs.  I've heard this speaker numerous times and it sounds great.  The setup may win some value/budget awards without being too difficult to deal with.

Another vote on the O-3's. Yeah, they're tough to sell, which is the very reason to showcase them (again).

persisting1

« Reply #31 on: 18 Apr 2014, 08:05 pm »
Another vote on the O-3's. Yeah, they're tough to sell, which is the very reason to showcase them (again).

I believe Danny has said that the O-3 has not been a good seller. I guess the design is a little to hard for some to swallow. Maybe showing this speaker can change some minds.

Danny Richie

« Reply #32 on: 18 Apr 2014, 09:05 pm »
Great advice and feedback from all of you. I really appreciate it.  :thumb:  Some of you asked me all the right questions too. Thank you John, JParkhurst, Hank, Throwback, and Woodsyi your posts really hit home.

I told Marjorie I would renew my room.

I am leaning towards showing some new and long awaited kits that might win a few awards and still represent the DIY foundation I have established.

DaveC113, still sorry I was not able to play the music you walked in with. The computer we hooked up was new to me at the time, and I was not proficient at loading in new material. Eric handled it typically and we played brought in music without issue. I'll try to be better at it this year. 

And guys, the cost of the show isn't a big deal. GR Research is doing better than ever. But I have to ask myself if the cost is worth it, and am I using that opportunity and expense effectively. So I might consider added some new partners to the room. It would need to be a like minded company with similar goals and reputation. Hmmm.... more thought.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #33 on: 18 Apr 2014, 09:54 pm »
Great advice and feedback from all of you. I really appreciate it.  :thumb:  Some of you asked me all the right questions too. Thank you John, JParkhurst, Hank, Throwback, and Woodsyi your posts really hit home.

I told Marjorie I would renew my room.

I am leaning towards showing some new and long awaited kits that might win a few awards and still represent the DIY foundation I have established.

DaveC113, still sorry I was not able to play the music you walked in with. The computer we hooked up was new to me at the time, and I was not proficient at loading in new material. Eric handled it typically and we played brought in music without issue. I'll try to be better at it this year. 

And guys, the cost of the show isn't a big deal. GR Research is doing better than ever. But I have to ask myself if the cost is worth it, and am I using that opportunity and expense effectively. So I might consider added some new partners to the room. It would need to be a like minded company with similar goals and reputation. Hmmm.... more thought.
:dance:

Long awaited kits.....does this mean the X-Otica is getting close? I love seeing/hearing whatever you bring each year. I still have it in the back of my mind - a slightly smaller OB Neo setup - maybe a Neo-3, Neo 10, and an 8" OB woofer...maybe I'm just dreaming too much.  :dunno:

Danny Richie

« Reply #34 on: 18 Apr 2014, 10:29 pm »
:dance:

Long awaited kits.....does this mean the X-Otica is getting close? I love seeing/hearing whatever you bring each year. I still have it in the back of my mind - a slightly smaller OB Neo setup - maybe a Neo-3, Neo 10, and an 8" OB woofer...maybe I'm just dreaming too much.  :dunno:

Yes, and the hold up has been a new AMT tweeter that might be a game changer. It will also work in an open baffle really well. I didn't want to say anything until I knew it would work out. Still under development.... It still might not work out, but at least you guys know what the hold up has been.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #35 on: 18 Apr 2014, 10:36 pm »
Yes, and the hold up has been a new AMT tweeter that might be a game changer. It will also work in an open baffle really well. I didn't want to say anything until I knew it would work out. Still under development.... It still might not work out, but at least you guys know what the hold up has been.

AMT? As in Air Motion Transformer? Heil?

Danny Richie

« Reply #36 on: 18 Apr 2014, 10:43 pm »

AMT? As in Air Motion Transformer? Heil?

Yep.

SlushPuppy

« Reply #37 on: 18 Apr 2014, 10:45 pm »

That's interesting. You were going to use a dome tweeter with a wave guide when X-Otica was discussed here a few years ago. I'm glad you're still considering this design. I can't wait to see how it turns out!

SoCalWJS

« Reply #38 on: 18 Apr 2014, 11:39 pm »
Yep.
Interesting....back in the early 80's I worked in a Stereo store and the "Hi-end" "House brand" Speakers ("Concept") featured the Heil AMT Tweeter and I purchased a pair. They had an adjustable output on them. Thank goodness. Can you say B-R-I-G-H-T ???!!!!!!!! :o

Hope they've improved since then. I've only heard them at a couple of shows since then in less than decent conditions. Wasn't impressed.

bdp24

« Reply #39 on: 18 Apr 2014, 11:57 pm »
I have a pair of Radio Shack Optimus Pro LX-5's, Mint NOS in original boxes. $99 plus shipping, anyone?!