For Sale: Selah MTM

AvFan

For Sale: Selah MTM
« on: 6 Sep 2016, 04:46 am »
For sale is my pair of custom Selah MTMs Rick designed for me in 2009 using RAAL 70-20XR tweeters and 5" SB Acoustic mid-woofers (SB15NRXC30).  I built the floor standing walnut cabinets with black bases to Rick's design specs as shown in the pictures below.  These speakers were originally to be used in a smaller room with 8 foot ceilings and wood floors and I chose the MTM configuration to minimize ceiling and floor interactions.  However, my stereo is now in my much larger living room so in 2014 I purchased a pair of Ottavo from Rick to replace the MTMs.  In many ways these MTMs sound similar to the Ottavo above about 80Hz and are probably comparable to the Prestigio MTM.  I attribute that partially to the RAAL tweeters but also Rick's incredible attention to the crossovers and choice of mid-woofer drivers.  They are so nice I have been hanging on to them in hopes of finding a use for them but nothing has come up so I'm looking to find a new home for the MTMs.  My asking price is $1200.  See below for payment information.

The cabinets are made from well-braced 3/4" Medium Dense Fiberboard (MDF) and covered with walnut veneer and edged with solid walnut much like Selah's production cabinets.  They are finished with a durable polyurethane varnish.  The bases are painted black and have adjustable floor spikes.  The crossover is mounted just under a removable plate in the bottom of the base.  The cloth covered grills are attached with rare earth magnets under the veneer and in the grill frame.  The sealed speaker enclosure is lined with 3/4" Sonic Barrier dampening sheet from Parts Express.  The speaker connections accept banana plugs, bare wire and spades and are located near the floor.  Dimensions are:  10" wide at the base, 12" deep at the base and 48" tall.  The RAAL tweeter is mounted 39" above the floor at approximately ear height when seated.  All cabinet dimensions (internal, baffle width, etc) were specified by Rick.  They have just a couple of minor scuff marks on them.

Below are the graphs Rick produced for these speakers.  Please note I don't have a chart for below 200Hz.  These are sealed speakers and my goal was to have the -3db point be around 80Hz.  From experience I believe the -3db point is between 60Hz and 70Hz so a subwoofer is recommended.  These MTMs are 4 ohm nominal.

I do not have shipping crates for these speakers so local pickup in the San Diego California area is highly recommended.  I will deliver these speakers to the Los Angeles/Riverside area if purchased at my asking price.  For those with a serious interest I will audition the MTMs at my home.  Please PM me if you want to hear them.  Payment must be in cash, via Paypal +3%, or Paypal Friends and Family prior to delivery. 

Thanks for looking and send me a PM if you have any questions.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
Re: For Sale: Selah MTM
« Reply #1 on: 13 Sep 2016, 02:42 pm »
This is a great buy and the cabinets are as good or better than what many manufacturers can offer. I also provide full support on sales by customers and will be happy to answer any questions.

dr_skoobie

« Reply #2 on: 18 Oct 2016, 12:28 am »
I'm not in the market, but those are fantastic cabinets-- DIY doesn't get much better.

Mudslide

« Reply #3 on: 18 Oct 2016, 03:34 am »
You wouldn't happen to have a matching (horizontal) center speaker, would you?  If so, I'd be interested in it.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
« Reply #4 on: 18 Oct 2016, 01:20 pm »
You wouldn't happen to have a matching (horizontal) center speaker, would you?  If so, I'd be interested in it.

It's possible to design a matching 3-way center channel.

Mudslide

« Reply #5 on: 18 Oct 2016, 03:55 pm »
It's possible to design a matching 3-way center channel.

Thanks, Rick.  I know you can do a fine job at that.  I was just looking for a quick PNP for a second system.

AvFan

« Reply #6 on: 19 Oct 2016, 01:50 am »
I'm not in the market, but those are fantastic cabinets-- DIY doesn't get much better.

Thanks for the kind words!  I've been making furniture and other woodworking projects for years and these speakers were a very fun project to build.  And more importantly, they sound terrific! 

I wanted to do a local sale if possible but since I live in the very southwest corner of the country interest has been limited.  So, if someone is willing to meet my asking price and wants me to ship them I will build some wood crates very similar to the ones Rick uses to ship his speakers.  Each speaker weighs about 55 pounds and the crate would add 20 to 25 more.  Shipping would be at the buyers expense.

Thanks for looking!

AvFan

« Reply #7 on: 27 Jun 2017, 04:24 am »
Just a reminder these MTMs are still available.

Phil A

« Reply #8 on: 27 Jun 2017, 01:51 pm »
It is a great buy (basically a steal).  The most expensive part is the cabinet (which looks beautiful).  I traded locally (in my seldom used bonus room - like once or twice a year) a pair of stand mounted (and the stands were not that great and more appropriate to use on surround speakers in a spare system) MoFi OML-1s for a pair of GR Research N3s (wanted Ribbon tweeters in one system and then later bought a pair of Selah SA2s for the desktop system which sound wonderful).  Without the cabinet, the materials (e.g. drivers, no rez, caps) and drivers which were likely (e.g. the Raal tweeters alone were probably several hundred more) not as expensive, the parts alone were about $700 (for the GR Research N3s).  So I wouldn't be surprised if the cost of the Selah speakers materials without the enclosure would cost an individual around the asking price.  Someone is going to be happy.

AvFan

« Reply #9 on: 2 Jul 2017, 03:31 am »
These have to find a new home.  $1000 if you come pick them up outside of San Diego.  I will audition them too.