Mac Mini 2011 power

Paul Hynes

• Facilitator
    • http://www.paulhynesdesign.com
Mac Mini 2011 power
« on: 8 Nov 2011, 02:34 pm »
The SR7-12 and SR7EHD-12 can be used with the Mac Mini 2011. The Mac’s internal switching supply will need to be removed and a suitable high quality connector fitted for the DC input. I can provide this modification service for £100 plus return insured carriage costs.

These very high quality linear regulated power supplies will give you better performance than the battery supplies that are being used with dedicated audio servers based on the Mac Mini.

The SR7 and SR7EHD are no ordinary supplies. They offer exceptional audio performance with a wide variety of equipment and can be customised for specific voltage and current requirements.

Switchcraft 2.5mm DC sockets can be fitted to the chassis for use with the Mach2 Mac Mini Audio Server used in several rooms at RMAF this year. The Mach2 Mac Mini is already configured to allow the use of an external DC power supply so needs no further modification work.

The SR7-12 costs £525 and the matching DC7C high current, high performance DC lead costs £45. Insured carriage and packing will be charged at cost.

The SR7EHD-12 costs £650 and the matching DC7C high current, high performance DC lead costs £45. Insured carriage and packing will be charged at cost.

Regards
Paul

ijarvile

• FinnAudio
Re: Mac Mini 2011 power
« Reply #1 on: 12 Jan 2012, 04:10 pm »
Hi Paul,

As read a many great reviews related to your regulators and power supplies. Have you considered to do a killer
combo for the following setup:

One 12V power source for both (One IEC Input -> Two 12 V Outputs): MAC MINI with 7-10 Amp output and EMPIRICAL AUDIO's OFF-RAMP 4 with 2,5 - 3,0 Am output.

As many audiophiles has this combo and it would be a great to have a one power source for both.  8)

Cheers, Ilkka

Paul Hynes

• Facilitator
    • http://www.paulhynesdesign.com
« Reply #2 on: 25 Feb 2012, 05:15 pm »
Hi Ilkka,

I missed this one. Sorry for the tardy reply.

The SR7 multi-rail supply can be set up as you describe.

Regards

Paul

jjh1585

« Reply #3 on: 4 Oct 2014, 04:16 pm »
Paul,

Can you please give the amperage Specifications for the SR7-12 and SR7EHD-12.

paul79

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: 4 Oct 2014, 05:53 pm »
Paul, the clever fellow, lists the specs of the supplies in the model number :)

SR7-XX is a 7amp supply. XX represents the voltage.

jjh1585

« Reply #5 on: 4 Oct 2014, 09:25 pm »
Paul,
Thanks for your reply. I was under the impression that the SR7EHD was rated at 10amps.

I guess you have to be careful about what you read on the internet.

paul79

• Industry Participant
« Reply #6 on: 4 Oct 2014, 09:37 pm »
Well, the EHD may be actually. I don't know bout these.

boblloyd

« Reply #7 on: 2 Nov 2014, 12:02 pm »
Hi Paul,

As read a many great reviews related to your regulators and power supplies. Have you considered to do a killer
combo for the following setup:

One 12V power source for both (One IEC Input -> Two 12 V Outputs): MAC MINI with 7-10 Amp output and EMPIRICAL AUDIO's OFF-RAMP 4 with 2,5 - 3,0 Am output.

As many audiophiles has this combo and it would be a great to have a one power source for both.  8)

Cheers, Ilkka

I have not visited this site for a while, because I have been so happy with my SR5, and I have been trying lots of tricks comparing Minis with different configurations (see various threads over at CA). What may be relevant here is that, in order to do these comparisons with two minis powered identically, I have made up a dual lead, just connecting the two inputs in parallel to the SR5 output. I expected that this would degrade SQ slightly, for both minis,  but that this would not matter in the comparisons.

However, on several occasions I tried A/B/A comparisons between my two minis in almost identical configurations, when I could hear almost no difference. I then tried closing down Mini A while listening to Mini B, and I could not detect any difference at all. I think that, given the violently changing current draw of a mini (try putting a milliammeter in the circuit!), this is a remarkable recommendation for Paul's technology.

It may of course also indicate that my system/ears combination is not sensitive enough to pick up small differences. Nevertheless, I would suggest that anybody who has a single output SR5/7/etc. and has a requirement for a second 12v should try powering both units together, if only while waiting for Paul to make up the ideal dual rail supply (having checked first with Paul, of course, but I find it hard to imagine that anything else is as hard to please as a computer CPU).

Cheers

Bob