Can you recommend a Bluetooth Speaker or Boombox?

gonefishin

Can you recommend a Bluetooth Speaker or Boombox?
« on: 18 Jul 2014, 04:48 am »
   Hello all!

I am wondering if anyone has a good suggestion for a bluetooth controlled speaker or boombox.  I'm just looking for something that is portable and something that can stream music from my phone.  Water resistant would be a plus, but sound is first and foremost.  I would go up to 4 or 500 for something that sounds good.

Thanks all!

2bigears

Re: Can you recommend a Bluetooth Speaker or Boombox?
« Reply #1 on: 18 Jul 2014, 05:03 am »
 :D    I purchased the Bose ,, I do think it's pretty good.  :D

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #2 on: 18 Jul 2014, 05:26 am »
http://www.overstock.com/Electronics/Logitech-S-00116-2.0-20-W-RMS-Wireless-Speaker-Refurbished/8560232/product.html

Very good - I have the previous non Bluetooth model (715). Now discontinued so you can get cheap ($100-150). Lots of bass - 20 whole watts when plugged in (Otherwise 5W with battery). Good sound & battery life and very portable even if not weatherproof.

I think the Sonos Play speakers are even better, but they are AC only and have to be connected to a home network, so they're not portable so much beyond your house.

Otherwise the small Bose sound link mini @ $200 is actually not too bad.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #3 on: 18 Jul 2014, 06:32 am »
Three weeks ago I bought a Big Jambox for $229.99 for my wife at Costco. She liked it instantly. I was pleasantly surprised by its sound quality. Sure, the bass is over powered a bit, but it sounds decent both inside and outside. We've even used it (twice now) as a center channel because my $900 pre/pro couldn't communicate with our TV. It made me wonder why I invested so much money in my HT system.  :duh: [Yes, my HT speakers sound better, but they didn't cost just $230, did they?]

I wonder if two can be used simultaneously to expand the sound when outside or during a party....hmm.

It's not hifi, but it is decent....especially considering its price.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #4 on: 18 Jul 2014, 09:51 am »
I'm very satisfied with my $100 Logitech UE smart radio.  It's basically a wireless clock radio with a 6 hour battery, so access to internet music streams and your local network music library, as long as you stay within range of your wireless network.  Looked into Apple Express, but the UE trumps it with a pleasant/room filling sound from woofer/tweeter, built-in controls (no iDevice needed), can output to headphones/powered/active speakers, and has a 3.5 mm RCA input.  For background sound it nicely/compactly replaced leftover floor-standing speakers, CD player, and stereo receiver.

rodge827

« Reply #5 on: 18 Jul 2014, 11:25 am »
The Nixon Blaster ($150.00) sounds real good, meets all of your requirements, and is very rugged to boot.
My friend Sean is a faux finish painter and I had the pleasure of listening to it for a week last fall on a job we did. 
I was very impressed by the sound quality, and hope to pick one up soon.

http://www.nixon.com/us/en/headphones/the-blaster-H028.html

Can be found on Amazon, and eBay.

jackman

« Reply #6 on: 18 Jul 2014, 11:30 am »
:D    I purchased the Bose ,, I do think it's pretty good.  :D

I agree. It's small and sounds very good. Cool looking as well. Bose is a bad word around here but I love my portable player.

mr_bill

« Reply #7 on: 18 Jul 2014, 11:33 am »
Bose Mini or Big Jambox, I have both and they are great.

gonefishin

« Reply #8 on: 18 Jul 2014, 05:04 pm »
thanks for the suggestions guys!  Really appreciate it.

are any of these going to play at adequate levels outside...or maybe in a large pole barn.   I'm looking for something I can bring outside, near the pool...then bring into the pole building.  My brother says take his Altec Valencias for the pole building...I'm thinking I just want simple and the ability to stream music.

I am reluctant to buy anything with the Bose label.  Not because of any reputation, but because of my experience with them.  They have had some good products in the past though, I'll check them (and the others) out again.

joey116

« Reply #9 on: 18 Jul 2014, 05:24 pm »
The TDK LoR is getting some great reviews, I have not heard one however......

http://www.engadget.com/products/tdk/life-on-record/wireless-weatherproof-speaker/

johsti

« Reply #10 on: 18 Jul 2014, 05:52 pm »
I ended up going with the G-Project G-Boom and couldn't be happier.  I was prepare to spend more money, but didn't need to. 
http://www.target.com/p/g-project-g-boom-wireless-boombox-black-g-650/-/A-14479142#prodSlot=medium_1_13&term=boom+box
Easy to connect, good battery life and the sound is great for what it is.  Get it near a boundary and it provides quite a bit of bass.  It has two tweeters, two mids and is rear ported.  It is sturdy enough to sit on (I think they mention that in the brochure or review).  It is not water proof but the buttons and openings are sealed with rubber and the front grill is metal.  3 of my friends have purchased one after hearing mine.

Here is a review.
http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/reviews/entry/g-project-g-boom-wireless-bluetooth-boombox/

jackman

« Reply #11 on: 18 Jul 2014, 06:07 pm »
The mini Bose is not suitable for large spaces.  Good for office or smaller room.  Not good outdoors.

I've never owned any Bose items but this was the best little player I tried.

FireGuy

« Reply #12 on: 18 Jul 2014, 06:59 pm »
Outdoor Tech maybe a good option.  I've haven't tested this particular item but I have on others.  Well built.  Throwing it out for consideration.

http://www.outdoortechnology.com/Shop/Big-Turtle-Shell/

gonefishin

« Reply #13 on: 19 Jul 2014, 02:03 pm »
    Thanks for the recommendations guys!

Doublej

« Reply #14 on: 19 Jul 2014, 03:02 pm »
Hot off the press. The Teenage Engineering model looks especially interesting.

http://online.wsj.com/articles/bluetooth-and-airplay-speakers-with-a-retro-edge-1405710333

gonefishin

« Reply #15 on: 23 Jul 2014, 01:44 am »
   I wish the Marshall bluetooth speaker was getting better reviews...or at least if I could have a listen for myself.

Chromisdesigns

• Darla, our beach cat, contemplating the sea
    • Fine-gemstones.com
« Reply #16 on: 23 Jul 2014, 03:03 am »

If you like Marshall, how about this one, with a Bluetooth adapter?

] 8)

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #17 on: 23 Jul 2014, 03:20 am »
   I wish the Marshall bluetooth speaker was getting better reviews...or at least if I could have a listen for myself.

Shame because it's one of PC Mag's 10 best bluetooth speakers (and Amazon review mostly positive). 

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2417433,00.asp

If I needed such a thing I'd buy one as frankly most BT speakers are nothing fantastic and at least this one looks very cool.  Now if I could actually also use it as a portable guitar amp, then the decision would be even easier.

Bemopti123

« Reply #18 on: 23 Jul 2014, 03:53 am »
Somewhat ugly and heavy....but sonically stellar with incredible depth. 

The Definitive Technology Cube.  I have had it for about 4 months, it is a blast and it is very satisfying sonically and the bluetooth connectivity is spotless unlike many badly designed units.  It runs on the expensive side but for me it was worth every single penny. It gives full rack of components its run for the money.

Paul

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #19 on: 23 Jul 2014, 04:04 am »
Alright folks - couldn't resist sharing this one :

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/pelty-the-bluetooth-speaker-powered-by-fire

FIRE!  Don't know what's so ecological about burning fossil fuels - but whatev.  It's cool and might actually help you get laid.  What other audio electronics can you say that about?