NAD D3020

bummrush

NAD D3020
« on: 14 Aug 2013, 02:10 pm »
Anybody hear one yet?

Phil A

Re: NAD D3020
« Reply #1 on: 14 Aug 2013, 02:15 pm »
Have not heard it yet but it looks interesting - http://reviews.cnet.com/audio-system-components/nad-d-3020/4505-6462_7-35757056.html  - named after the classic 3020, remember those.  I recently sold a 2100B NAD amplifier that I had for many years and had the 1600 tuner/preamp at one point many years back.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #2 on: 14 Aug 2013, 09:57 pm »

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #3 on: 15 Aug 2013, 02:33 am »
Have not heard it yet but it looks interesting - http://reviews.cnet.com/audio-system-components/nad-d-3020/4505-6462_7-35757056.html  - named after the classic 3020, remember those.  I recently sold a 2100B NAD amplifier that I had for many years and had the 1600 tuner/preamp at one point many years back.

I also had the NAD 1600 preamp tuner and gave it to a friend for his game room. I still get to listen to it while playing pull and shuffle board.

Phil A

« Reply #4 on: 15 Aug 2013, 03:17 am »
I have not heard (or seen) any NAD stuff in many years.  More for the reason of less dealers around than there used to be.  I have multiple systems and in process of moving but except for a piece here or there I have more or less what I need.  I'd like to hear their stuff.  I bought an Integra universal player for a secondary system at a dealer who is supposed to be an NAD dealer a couple of years back and did not look at everything in the store but don't recall seeing their components on the floor.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #5 on: 15 Aug 2013, 09:55 am »
Yep, had a 3020 receiver in an early 90's 2nd system (lost in a divorce).

Seems like the D3020 feature set hits the mainstream of the upcoming market (right size, inputs, wattage, sub output).  Seems a bit over priced (sound quality dependent), but I can't think of a comparable product.

Wonder if this one is a 'Power DAC' (meaning pure digital signal path but the analog inputs are redigitized).  Maybe not with the headphone output.

Looks a bit tipsy, hopefully a stand (similar to the desktop NuForce products) is offered.  Speaking of which this looks like the little brother of the  NuForce DDA-100 with more features.

Wonder what it would have taken to put all the front displays on a slant for vertical and horizontal orientation/use (thinking of sliding it under my iMac).
« Last Edit: 15 Aug 2013, 11:24 am by JLM »

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #6 on: 15 Aug 2013, 03:17 pm »
Actually, I'm currently running the power amp only section of a NAD 3020B direct from an Audio GD DAC that has a very nice I/V volume control.  The sound is magical, it appears that what I thought was the strength of that amp, the preamp and phono pre, are actually the weakness of that little integrated and it's the power amp that is the miracle worker. This has very little relevance to the new D3020 thus my terse answer above, (also I was running out of time), but indicates that there may be surprises in these new products.  It appears that there are different DAC's in the three products, thus they may sound significantly different from one another.  I was looking at the music streamer as maybe the dark horse, more power, better DAC, much more flexibility in the new world of digital music. 

nickd

« Reply #7 on: 15 Aug 2013, 04:43 pm »
Wish it didn't cost $500.  :|

Perfect to run from the Sonos digital out and power the Patio speakers. :thumb:

25 year old NAD reciever that is on duty now could use a rest. Someone needs to buy one play with it for a few months so I can buy it used for next summer. :lol:

JLM

« Reply #8 on: 15 Aug 2013, 10:29 pm »
The D7050 appears to be a 'power DAC' as it has no analog inputs, but higher res DAC and plenty of digital inputs (AirPlay, Bluetooth, ethernet, USB, 2 coax, and 2 toslink).  But double the price and only nominally more wattage:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-KSVnByxEEzi/p_745D7050/NAD-D-7050.html#overview-tab

JLM

« Reply #9 on: 15 Aug 2013, 10:38 pm »
Wish it didn't cost $500.  :|

Perfect to run from the Sonos digital out and power the Patio speakers. :thumb:

25 year old NAD reciever that is on duty now could use a rest. Someone needs to buy one play with it for a few months so I can buy it used for next summer. :lol:

For your Sonos you should consider a powered/active speaker pair with built-in DAC such as Audyssey Media (desktop/tiny room), AVi 9RSS (desktop/room), KEF X300A (desktop/room), Quad 9AS (room), or Vanatoo (desktop/room).  Prices range from $210 - $2200 per pair but none go below 50 Hz.

nickd

« Reply #10 on: 15 Aug 2013, 11:38 pm »
For your Sonos you should consider a powered/active speaker pair with built-in DAC such as Audyssey Media (desktop/tiny room), AVi 9RSS (desktop/room), KEF X300A (desktop/room), Quad 9AS (room), or Vanatoo (desktop/room).  Prices range from $210 - $2200 per pair but none go below 50 Hz.

I already have a really nice pair of JBL outdoor speakers mounted on the walls up high. They have great bass too. The NAD reciever I have now powers them fine but needs a capacitor in the tuner and runs a little hot. That new D3020 just looks compact, cool and I'm sure it sounds great. The difficulty of powered speakers out there is the long runs of low voltage wire. Signal loss and noise = :(  Plus no place to plug them in to 120v up on the wall. I didn't design with powered gear outside in mind 15 years ago. My how things change.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #11 on: 16 Aug 2013, 03:41 am »
The D7050 appears to be a 'power DAC' as it has no analog inputs, but higher res DAC and plenty of digital inputs (AirPlay, Bluetooth, ethernet, USB, 2 coax, and 2 toslink).  But double the price and only nominally more wattage:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-KSVnByxEEzi/p_745D7050/NAD-D-7050.html#overview-tab

Yeah, it seems like none of the products covers all of the bases if you're looking for a Swiss army knife unit.  I think you need to go up to the $2500 NAD C 390DD for that, at least in the NAD line.  They're interesting products, but none of them float my boat for the asking price, but not to say they don't fit somebodies needs.

mcgsxr

« Reply #12 on: 16 Aug 2013, 02:14 pm »
I have not heard one, but it appears interesting.

I like the small form factor, and decent power rating.

I think it is a direct competitor for the NuForce DDA 100, given they price out roughly the same. 

Looks like the NuForce has more power, but lacks an analog input, so I would think ancillary equipment would be a major deciding factor.

I will watch for reviews, I know that Absolute Sound loved the NuForce piece.

JLM

« Reply #13 on: 17 Aug 2013, 11:07 pm »
I too am interested in the DDA-100, but 6moons gave it a lack luster review (not that Srajan is the last word i audio, but...).  His comments were based on mating it to high efficiency speakers (supposedly the probably cause) but still a question mark.  Lack of headphone/sub outputs or analog inputs is a minus but pure digital signal path is a plus. 

craig in SD

« Reply #14 on: 19 Aug 2013, 05:26 pm »
I've been ready to audition one for a couple of months now (per my post in the solid state  forum).  My local dealer has it on oreder, but not in house yet.  Gettin' fidgety, as I would really like to compare it to the wadia power dac and nuforce dda-100 for a system I want to set up and start enjoying.  I actually suspect the d3020 has a Hypex UCD-based amplifier, while the D7050 will be a direct digital/power dac product.  That one is too pricy for this forum, still, and does not yet appear to be on its way to dealers yet.  Looks like NAD may have jumped the gun proclaiming July delivery on these products.

Will try to reply again when I've had a chance to audition.  I expect the dealer to call any day now...

Nicom

« Reply #15 on: 8 Nov 2013, 02:49 pm »
Question from a complete hifi newbie.

If I have the NAD D3020, would there be ANY idea in getting a Sonos. Reason I ask is the local Hifi store sold me both, and now I realize that I have no idea what I should use the Sonos system for unless I wanna expand to other rooms (and I dont, not right now atleast)

Will the sound quality be something of notice using the Sonos WIFI or is the Bluetooth in the NAD D3020 good enough?

Regards.
Nico.

JLM

« Reply #16 on: 10 Nov 2013, 11:38 am »
Welcome aboard Nico.

I've been into stereo/audio for 40 years and never has it been more complicated...

Wired should always be the highest sound quality connection option.  Currently I'm running a cheap 35 foot optical cable along the floor (check out monoprice.com) from my computer to my audio system.  The 2nd best sound quality (as per at least one professional review of the D3020) would come from a wireless option like Sonos, but a simpler/cheaper solution in your case would be something like Apple Airport Express ($99, optical digital or 3.5 mm analog outputs, but I'd try the digital first).  Note  that it will only play the same music as the computer (shouldn't be a problem being in the same room).  The Air DAC from Nuforce cost more than Airport Express, uses AptX Bluetooth but supposedly sounds better, but would bypass the D3020's DAC as it only offers analog output, certainly should have enough range within the same room, and could serve as a 'mini-Sonos' home-wide system.  The 3rd best sound quality (and more limited range) would come from Bluetooth (a lower resolution audio format).

Let us know what you figure out.

EuroDriver

NAD D3020 with KEF LS50
« Reply #17 on: 17 Nov 2013, 09:46 am »
I spent some time listening to the D3020 driving KEF LS50's fed Spotify via Sonos Connect.  I have a system with Cambridge Audio 640 C > 650 A > LS50

The D3020 sounded much better than the CA. The pairing of the D3020 with the LS50 was spectacular with resolution, timbre, image sharpness and strong bass in spades.

The LS50 can probably be succesfully paired with even better electronics, but for $ 500 + $ 1500
it's unbeatable sound for the money.

Looking for someone to give my CA stuff to !

Disclosure :  I am a Hypex Fanboy with Dual Mono NC400 > B&W 805D.  For a third of the price, but 80 pct of the performance with a 24/96 DAC thrown in, no interconnects needed, I have trouble containing my enthusiasm for the D3020

JLM

Re: NAD D3020 with KEF LS50
« Reply #18 on: 17 Nov 2013, 12:38 pm »
I spent some time listening to the D3020 driving KEF LS50's fed Spotify via Sonos Connect.  I have a system with Cambridge Audio 640 C > 650 A > LS50

The D3020 sounded much better than the CA. The pairing of the D3020 with the LS50 was spectacular with resolution, timbre, image sharpness and strong bass in spades.

The LS50 can probably be succesfully paired with even better electronics, but for $ 500 + $ 1500
it's unbeatable sound for the money.

Looking for someone to give my CA stuff to !

Disclosure :  I am a Hypex Fanboy with Dual Mono NC400 > B&W 805D.  For a third of the price, but 80 pct of the performance with a 24/96 DAC thrown in, no interconnects needed, I have trouble containing my enthusiasm for the D3020

Thanks for the report.  The old 'diminishing returns' principle at work again.  Again can a true audiophile not be compulsive?

2 channel man

« Reply #19 on: 20 Nov 2013, 11:58 pm »
NAD is Canadian and is plastic junk when translated  from Canadian English to
the rest of the planets English NAD is slang for plastic garbage designed to take your $$$$ .
It may have been good once upon a time but it isn't 1980 anymore .
New NAD is designed for one purpose , to take your money .
Save your money a little longer and buy something better .
If and when your NAD breaks good luck getting it fixed .
We already cashed your cheque ......so adios sucker !