Manic Moose (S2) - BDP's third major firmware release

So There

• Brystonized
Re: Manic Moose (S2) - BDP's third major firmware release
« Reply #2280 on: 2 Oct 2017, 11:04 pm »
Cover Art in MM 2.36 Artist View

Halloo, Hi-Res fans. Here's an issue that may affect your BDP (though I hope not).

Thanks for the Manic Moose 2.36 build, Chris. As always, I truly appreciate your expertise and generous assistance, most recently your email help with configuring a 1TB internal SSD in my BDP-2. MM works very well for me (in default view), and I can't wait for NN (Naughty Newts?). Thanks, too, for your cogent video orientation to MM 2.36.

I have a question on cover art that may interest others in this thread: does/can Manic Moose get cover art locally or exclusively from an online database? Can MM be set to default to local cover art, in the form of JPG files in the album's folder?

I have jpegs of cover art in my music folders on the internal SSD. I find that in default view, cover art displays accurately. Yet, in the new Artist view, cover art does not display or is jumbled: for many albums or tracks (e.g., Bryston or HDTracks samplers) there are no cover art thumbnails in the left-hand column, or the wrong cover art for individual (often, but not always sampler) tracks and for entire albums. The same is true for the larger cover art images in the Albums tab in the center of the MM page. I would be happy to post screenshots, if this would be helpful.

Typically, the BDP-2 Dashboard shows the BDP at optimal operation. However, I will sometimes get the message when opening MM on my iMac that there is no internet connection. Yet, I am able to update firmware, and the software clearly has found some images online to associate with tracks and albums (albeit the wrong ones) In some cases for little-known artists like The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, or Santana, there are no images at all.

But seriously . . . I do have in my computer's FLAC files many classical and some rock, jazz, and pop albums for which I've had to add jpg images locally because they are on lesser-known labels and not available via online databases. Thus, my question above: is there a way to default to local images in MM and thereby avoid the cover art omissions or errors noted above?

Thanks very much to all for your advice,

Rich

gbaby

« Reply #2281 on: 4 Oct 2017, 11:13 pm »
Hello  Rich. Great question. You read my mind.  8)

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #2282 on: 5 Oct 2017, 03:25 pm »
Hi Rich,

Its online lookup capabilities have been altered, we use to have a universal system in place but the service is no longer available.  We have also started integrating Musicbrainz and other services they branch into for finding missing cover art, currently we are integrating this into the cd backup feature.  By default manic moose should grab cover art that is locally stored with the music files using the extensions jpeg, jpg or png.  Filenames can also be prioritised, by default they are folder, cover and front; and these values can be changed within media player settings.  If no file is found then it would attempt to look for embedded tags in the first track (album view) or currently playing track (default view), but it only checks a hand full of tag titles for an image file.

If your updating album art images they won't start to get used in the album view until the bryston db is reset or otherwise rebuilt, this will trigger the cached data that generates the artist view to be rebuilt.  This seems to be working for me and others, but I have had a few users report otherwise so if you find this doesn't help perhaps consider placing the bdp into service mode and email me the service id along with some example of albums that should have art but do not.

Chris

So There

• Brystonized
« Reply #2283 on: 12 Oct 2017, 12:36 am »
Sorry to delay in replying, Chris, et al.

With Napa, California fires, we lost internet, cell, landline, and power, so I haven't been able to respond to your message, Chris. Power and connectivity are restored but spotty. The utilities may need to cut power and other services due to the uncertain tracks of several fires, and we may need to evacuate. I'll reply when things are stable. Thanks for your patience.

Cheerio,

Rich

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #2284 on: 12 Oct 2017, 12:42 am »
Sorry to delay in replying, Chris, et al.

With Napa, California fires, we lost internet, cell, landline, and power, so I haven't been able to respond to your message, Chris. Power and connectivity are restored but spotty. The utilities may need to cut power and other services due to the uncertain tracks of several fires, and we may need to evacuate. I'll reply when things are stable. Thanks for your patience.

Cheerio,

Rich

Fingers crossed Rich

james

gbaby

« Reply #2285 on: 12 Oct 2017, 02:11 pm »
Fingers crossed Rich

james

Same here.  :(

Hifiquest

« Reply #2286 on: 23 Oct 2017, 03:11 pm »
Greetings,

Not sure if this is the correct thread to ask this question but.

I have just become the owner of a BDP-1 to replace my PC based music player. I must say that the level of sound quality is amazing in comparison.  The BDP-1 just works, plug in music and go. I am currently controlling with MPAD, gradually migrating to Soundriok as I am conscious that support for MPAD is not there for IOS11. The player works seamlessly with these apps. However I really want to be able to be less reliant on IOS apps and use MM which is a very attractive looking interface, but here lies my problem.

I am running the latest update of MM and my attached music storage is a 250GB flash drive with a second 2GB flash drive for a scratch drive. I cannot get the MM media player artist view to work. The Bryston database gets created and completes, however I then get a message that says “Unable to find DB”. The default song media player and navigation screen works fine and artwork is displayed correctly. I have tried many things to resolve including resetting the Bryston DB, resetting to factory defaults and then adding the drives to create the DB all without success, using the main 250GB disk as my scratch drive in case the separate 2GB was too small. I did get it to work by using a smaller drive (20GB) with 6 or so albums just as a test and the functionality is great.  My library is only around 3000 songs so not huge but when I go back to my actual music flash drive the DB builds to completion but then says “Unable to find Db”. I’m out of ideas now so any advice would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Dave

bjski

« Reply #2287 on: 23 Oct 2017, 03:53 pm »
Hi Chris,
The new beta edition S3.37 10-20 is fine on my IPad with my BDP-3 & 2. However on my laptops I get about 2/3 a screen for media player. The bottom part with the tittle name,bitrate,type,etc shows up when the playlist moves past approximately 35 songs in the queue. Try to make screen larger or smaller still same screen. Not sure if this has to do with new generic art work for missing art work.
Cheers

bjski

« Reply #2288 on: 23 Oct 2017, 03:55 pm »
Forgot to mention using mm. Do like the new feature but help didn’t work.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #2289 on: 23 Oct 2017, 04:23 pm »
Greetings,

Not sure if this is the correct thread to ask this question but.

I have just become the owner of a BDP-1 to replace my PC based music player. I must say that the level of sound quality is amazing in comparison.  The BDP-1 just works, plug in music and go. I am currently controlling with MPAD, gradually migrating to Soundriok as I am conscious that support for MPAD is not there for IOS11. The player works seamlessly with these apps. However I really want to be able to be less reliant on IOS apps and use MM which is a very attractive looking interface, but here lies my problem.

I am running the latest update of MM and my attached music storage is a 250GB flash drive with a second 2GB flash drive for a scratch drive. I cannot get the MM media player artist view to work. The Bryston database gets created and completes, however I then get a message that says “Unable to find DB”. The default song media player and navigation screen works fine and artwork is displayed correctly. I have tried many things to resolve including resetting the Bryston DB, resetting to factory defaults and then adding the drives to create the DB all without success, using the main 250GB disk as my scratch drive in case the separate 2GB was too small. I did get it to work by using a smaller drive (20GB) with 6 or so albums just as a test and the functionality is great.  My library is only around 3000 songs so not huge but when I go back to my actual music flash drive the DB builds to completion but then says “Unable to find Db”. I’m out of ideas now so any advice would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Dave

Hi Dave,

please place the bdp into service mode and email me the service id.

http://support.bryston.com/downloads/BDP/Manic%20Moose%20Manual.pdf

Chris

bjski

« Reply #2290 on: 23 Oct 2017, 06:08 pm »
Chris it’s both BDP-2, BDP-3......which one would you like?

bjski

« Reply #2291 on: 23 Oct 2017, 06:09 pm »
 Oppos, Not me sorry.....LOL

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #2292 on: 23 Oct 2017, 06:42 pm »
Oppos, Not me sorry.....LOL

no worries, i think i know which problem your having and it should be fixed in the next release.

Hifiquest

« Reply #2293 on: 23 Oct 2017, 09:09 pm »
Hi Dave,

please place the bdp into service mode and email me the service id.

http://support.bryston.com/downloads/BDP/Manic%20Moose%20Manual.pdf

Chris

Email has been sent.

Thanks Chris

Hifiquest

« Reply #2294 on: 24 Oct 2017, 11:51 pm »
All running perfectly. Really like the MM media player. Thanks again for fixing the issue Chris.

Mbain

« Reply #2295 on: 27 Oct 2017, 01:38 pm »
Chris,
     Since upgrading from MM2.34 to 2.36 on my Bdp-1 I find that when in artist view I am not able to develop a playlist by selecting individual songs.  When the song title is touched it immediately begins to play without being entered in a playlist.  Also i find that I can no longer add music to my locally attached hard drive via a remote location by attempting to connect to the server.  I get a message window that states" there was a problem connecting to the server "Bryston-bdp-1.local"  The server may not exist or it is unavailable at this time. Check the server name or IP address, check your network connection and try again."  I have done these things multiple times without success.  My bdp is configured in "man cave mode" with a local router not attached to the internet.  Please help.

Mark   

bjski

« Reply #2296 on: 27 Oct 2017, 10:35 pm »
no worries, i think i know which problem your having and it should be fixed in the next release.
Problem fixed,thanks Chris!

Marius

« Reply #2297 on: 1 Nov 2017, 01:41 pm »
after installing the latest beta 27/10, my bdp-1 needed to rebuild the entire db... and wont succeed in doing so.
i starts off alright, but never finishes and after quitting it doesn't show the drives indexed. Only entries in red...

im talking default view here, havent had a look at album view yet ;-((

Chris, please have a look what could be amiss? maybe a bug introduced? never had this happen before.

Cheers,
Marius

Mbain

« Reply #2298 on: 4 Nov 2017, 07:17 pm »
Marius,
     I have had nothing but trouble since upgrading firmware to 2.36.  Bdp no longer functions and has been non functional for a week.  Manic moose has been irritating from the beginning.  If I new this would be my experience when I purchased the unit I would have purchased something else.

Marius

« Reply #2299 on: 4 Nov 2017, 10:44 pm »
Marius,
     I have had nothing but trouble since upgrading firmware to 2.36.  Bdp no longer functions and has been non functional for a week.  Manic moose has been irritating from the beginning.  If I new this would be my experience when I purchased the unit I would have purchased something else.

Sorry to hear that, sounds not good..
The issue i think i have (had) is caused because of me trying to run the BrystonDB while i know my library size exceeds the BDP1's capabilities :nono:

Before, building the Db came up to 35%. Now it takes it to 54% or so. So, all in all, Chris made it a lot better, but i will need to upgrade the BDP in the end to get to 100%. I hope. Still no certainty given by Chris. And the specs only mention 60K tracks i believe, though it was some time ago i checked.

Or buy something else of course ;-)

Anyways, chime in with Chris, and i'm sure he'll be able to help. For that's what your purchasing also when buying Bryston: ultimate customer service, like never or nowhere else seen before.

Cheerup,
Marius