Super happy owner of, err, Super 3

OmahawkSCM

Super happy owner of, err, Super 3
« on: 28 Nov 2017, 03:52 pm »
I had my 2 channel dismantled for a few months. I just put it back together. Nothing crazy: Oppo 981 Universal, BJC cables, Musical Paradise MP-301, Rythmik F12, and Omega 3T. Everything was either used or B-stock but the cables. The sub costs more the the rest of the system, lol.

Unreal sound. Flat out. I guess ignorance is bliss. I've been eyeing the Super 3 HO XRS very closely. I just can't bring myself to do it. The Omega's remind me of my 2003 Mazda MX5. Not very pricey, low key, but puts a HUGE smile on my face every time I use it. It's like, I WANT to spend more money because going higher up the chain MUST be better, but then I turn on the system and all desire to upgrade goes away.

Side note: What is the difference between my 3T and the current 3i?

milford3

Re: Super happy owner of, err, Super 3
« Reply #1 on: 28 Nov 2017, 05:46 pm »
My system is very similar.  MP 301tube amp, OPPO 103D, Rythmic 12 and the Omega Hoyt Bedford type 1's. No need to upgrade either.

OmahawkSCM

« Reply #2 on: 29 Nov 2017, 03:35 am »
I like your style. The finish on your Hoyts is superb. What's that called?

milford3

« Reply #3 on: 29 Nov 2017, 01:58 pm »
Louis calls the finish Karelian Birch Burl

roscoe65

« Reply #4 on: 29 Nov 2017, 06:51 pm »
The 3T was/is a desktop speaker with a bottom port.  The current 3i is a standmount speaker that is rear-ported and a bit larger.

The RS5 driver  excels from the upper bass up.  It will give satisfying bass, but that is not it's forte in this enclosure.  The L12 is a really great sub for the money.  It gives you a lot of the F12 at half the price.

If I were in your shoes and looking to improve my system, I would start by adding a second L12.  I would run them in true stereo and low pass them as high as I could (looks like 120hz).  I think you will get far more for your money than any other option.  You can move up the chain with the Omega speakers, but you can keep your stereo subwoofers.