Crown XLS- for the rest of us!

rodge827

Re: Crown XLS- for the rest of us!
« Reply #1340 on: 1 Apr 2015, 10:39 pm »
Many thanks Tom for your generosity supporting this tour. It was fun to learn how the XLS 1500 performed in different systems.  :D

Chris

jk@home

« Reply #1341 on: 1 Apr 2015, 11:31 pm »
Many thanks.

The solid state dac is a Bel Canto Dac-2 and the tube dac is a Paradisea.  Both have very different presentations and are kind of opposite of one another.

The odd thing is the solid state dac doesn't sound quite right with the el-34 tube amp and on paper they should be wonderful together and kind of balance each other out.  And on paper the tube dac should be too tooby with the tube amp.  But the tube dac and tube amp play really well together.

This is such an odd hobby sometimes.

Thanks. I think I will try one of those iTubes after my SS DAC (as a no-gain buffer only) , to see what all the buzz is about.

And thanks to all who participated in this tour!

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #1342 on: 1 Apr 2015, 11:42 pm »
Yes Tom,

Thank you very much for putting on this tour, I really liked reading different peoples takes on the sound of the Crown and what they liked and/or didn't like about it. I enjoyed trying it in my system as well, it was fun to compare it to the other amps I have and now knowing what it's all about.

I ended up buying one for a friend who is going to have about 10 pair of outdoor speakers at a cabin of his and the Crown will be perfect as it's clean power and a lot of it :thumb:

Thanks again Tom,

Greg

OzarkTom

« Reply #1343 on: 2 Apr 2015, 12:21 am »
Tom, these tours are fun and thanks for this tour.

ZAKski288

« Reply #1344 on: 2 Apr 2015, 01:19 am »
Tom,   Thanks for providing the tour amp, and the many months of debates and tweak ideas. I was not part of the Crown tour amp. Be I already owned     
            one powering my subwoofer.  This is really a great amp for the money. I used many of the tweaks and still working on the new black faceplate.

Thanks again  ZAK

rodge827

« Reply #1345 on: 2 Apr 2015, 02:28 am »
Zac,

If you can figure a way to get the display to turn off please pass it on. Mine looks like a bad Jr High project with black electrical tape covering most of the front and top. Looks real sexy with the lights on  :roll: .

Chris

guest61169

« Reply #1346 on: 2 Apr 2015, 04:57 am »
Zac,

If you can figure a way to get the display to turn off please pass it on. Mine looks like a bad Jr High project with black electrical tape covering most of the front and top. Looks real sexy with the lights on  :roll: .

Chris

I don't mind mine...

jk@home

« Reply #1347 on: 2 Apr 2015, 11:27 am »
I don't mind mine...

Ditto, did the same here, looks fine. The length of tape needed is 1-5/8", Laid it out on some old scrap laminate and used a square and razor knife for a clean cut.  Applied with tweezers and Q- tips.

Odal3

« Reply #1348 on: 2 Apr 2015, 01:39 pm »
Thanks Tom and everyone else contributing to this thread. It's been fun following along and reading about the impressions.

ZAKski288

« Reply #1349 on: 2 Apr 2015, 09:23 pm »
 rodge827,  Maybe this might help with the brightness.(Picture is brighter than it really appears).  1/8" thick tinted acrylic sheet, buff the edges, and attached with some double sided tape.  ZAK

jk@home

« Reply #1350 on: 3 Apr 2015, 12:24 pm »
So I ordered an iTube, not to raise the gain to the Crown amps, but as a tube buffer after the DAC, and to try the processing circuits. I also will try it between pre and amps, as I already have some unbalanced to balance cables made up. Guess it is the modern day X-10D (have one of those too, pretty grungy  :roll: :)).

I didn't realize until reading the reviews (which there are quite a few out there) that the chief designer is Thorsten Loesch. Pretty cool, I've read his posts on AA for years, and he even helped me sort out some circuits in a balance cable setup I was doing, via email. He's big time now. :D

So who here is using one of the processing circuits on their iTube and how does it help with the Crown?

roscoeiii

« Reply #1351 on: 3 Apr 2015, 02:02 pm »
I like the iTube with  the 6db gain in my system. Try it both ways. And I use the 3D setting as well. Look forward to hearing about your experience.

rodge827

« Reply #1352 on: 3 Apr 2015, 02:15 pm »
I use my iTube between a Dspeaker Antimode Dual Core 2.0 and XLS1500 with 6db gain. The Dual Core has low output and the added gain was necessary to drive the Crown and increase the range of attenuation. If possible try and get a 9v linear power supply. The improvement is seriously noticeable, I got a modded Astron SL 11A for a little over $100.00. Or iFi has since developed an upgraded wall wort power supply (iPower) for $49.00, contact the iFi distributor and order one.

http://ifi-audio.com/portfolio-view/accessory-ipower/

Chris

rodge827

« Reply #1353 on: 3 Apr 2015, 02:19 pm »
rodge827,  Maybe this might help with the brightness.(Picture is brighter than it really appears).  1/8" thick tinted acrylic sheet, buff the edges, and attached with some double sided tape.  ZAK

Zac thanks for the reply I will try the tinted acrylic...anything will look better that this...

roscoeiii

« Reply #1354 on: 3 Apr 2015, 02:23 pm »

Zak, any chance you can hook some of us up with those acrylic Plates? Not to handy myself...

jk@home

« Reply #1355 on: 3 Apr 2015, 02:35 pm »
I use my iTube between a Dspeaker Antimode Dual Core 2.0 and XLS1500 with 6db gain. The Dual Core has low output and the added gain was necessary to drive the Crown and increase the range of attenuation. If possible try and get a 9v linear power supply. The improvement is seriously noticeable, I got a modded Astron SL 11A for a little over $100.00. Or iFi has since developed an upgraded wall wort power supply (iPower) for $49.00, contact the iFi distributor and order one.

http://ifi-audio.com/portfolio-view/accessory-ipower/

Chris

I got a giggle out of one of the review, the author stated that iFi was strongly against using an aftermarket power supply. Then the first comment out of the gate, on the bottom of the page was a Astron recommendation.  :lol:

Zac thanks for the reply I will try the tinted acrylic...anything will look better that this...

Another cosmetic change one can do is get some black touch up paint to cover or dim the blue light on the power push button. Then all that is left is the dim blue light inside and the level meters.  My meters barely get off the bottom scale, so just did the taped display myself.

ZAKski288

« Reply #1356 on: 3 Apr 2015, 03:41 pm »
Zak, any chance you can hook some of us up with those acrylic Plates? Not to handy myself...

I have some extra material,  so PM me your address, one or two amps? .  ZAK
« Last Edit: 3 Apr 2015, 04:53 pm by ZAKski288 »

a.wayne

« Reply #1357 on: 3 Apr 2015, 04:36 pm »
Just wanted to say that the "tour" is officially over and thanks to all the participants who graciously took part and passed on the amp to the next party.

This tour far exceeded my expectations and had way more interest than I originally thought it would incur.

Thank guys for having a great time with this and keeping things cordial!

-Tom

A big thanks Tommy , it was fun reading all the different perspectives .....  :D

barryso

« Reply #1358 on: 4 Apr 2015, 01:53 am »
To hide the brightness...

I was toying with a wooden face plate about the size of the entire front of the amp.  Stain it or paint it black to make it look good.

It would rest on the two protruding parts on either side of the face plate.  It could be held in place with a 4 nice bolts that would reach back to the rack mount holes.

That should give the front vents enough space to function properly.  It would be a pain to get to the power and other controls, though.  It would make the Crown look more like an audio component.

steve f

« Reply #1359 on: 4 Apr 2015, 05:33 am »
I really enjoyed reading reading all of the tour comments. My schedule did not allow me to join in directly. You guys did inspire me to purchase a couple of XLS 1500s though. I added my comments from that perspective.

I remain impressed with the honesty, civility, and humor,  the members of this forum brought to this very long, and still active topic. Tommy, my hat is off to you for making a cool thing happen.

steve