Tweaked out Bose 901 series 6 mk 2

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
Re: Tweaked out Bose 901 series 6 mk 2
« Reply #60 on: 7 Dec 2011, 03:37 am »
JLM is absolutely right. We do need to keep this all in context. My first loudspeaker ever was my 1st year in college back in 1992, and it was a Bose 201. My best friend at the time had a 301. Of course, my 201 lasted about 2 months before, I took the grill off, removed the woofer and found that the woofer was run wideband without a crossover and the tweeter had an electrolytic capacitor in series with it. Entire enclosure was particle board. Of course, I moved on after I learned about the distinct association between marketing and sound quality in high end audio.

I have to thank Bose however for opening my eyes (and I got them for $150/pair so I wasn't screwed as much as some). I wouldn't have turned to DIY had I had a set of 'high end' speakers as my 1st speaker.

FWIW,
Anand.

Chromisdesigns

• Darla, our beach cat, contemplating the sea
    • Fine-gemstones.com
« Reply #61 on: 7 Dec 2011, 03:40 am »
When I was first shopping for stereo in the early 70's, the 901's were pushed in most of the stores, and they definitely had a distinctive sound.  But I actually heard them sound good on one occasion.  A guy I knew set up a pair for the local community theatre, doing a production in a small venue.

He had a Phase Linear amp and a DBX 3? expander.  **emphasis added **

The music was a squeezebox playing a tune for a scene in a Paris outdoor cafe.  The sound was expansive and holographic.   Compared to my little Marantz 1060 integrated and large Advents, it blew me away.  Nearly 40 years later I still remember it. 
In the day, set up right, they could sound pretty darned good.

I bet that was due in large part to the dbx3 -- I had one in my system years ago for a while.  It really made a huge difference, particularly at reasonable listening levels.

edit -- I believe they were actually called DBX 3bx compressor/expander.  They had the Dolby noise reduction system for tape in there, too.

lanchile

« Reply #62 on: 7 Dec 2011, 04:00 am »
JLM is absolutely right. We do need to keep this all in context. My first loudspeaker ever was my 1st year in college back in 1992, and it was a Bose 201. My best friend at the time had a 301. Of course, my 201 lasted about 2 months before, I took the grill off, removed the woofer and found that the woofer was run wideband without a crossover and the tweeter had an electrolytic capacitor in series with it. Entire enclosure was particle board. Of course, I moved on after I learned about the distinct association between marketing and sound quality in high end audio.

I have to thank Bose however for opening my eyes (and I got them for $150/pair so I wasn't screwed as much as some). I wouldn't have turned to DIY had I had a set of 'high end' speakers as my 1st speaker.

FWIW,
Anand.

once I "upgraded" some 301 speakers for a friend, and I was shocked of the "POOR" quality of components and materials that these speakers are made. They try to save as much money as they can, but at the same time they try to price their products as high as they can.  it is funny to see some people bragging about their Bose speakers, they think they have the pinnacle in speakers. Keep dreaming Bose lovers...keep dreaming! :lol:

PS: at the end...He sold those things and bought real speakers.

Æ

« Reply #63 on: 7 Dec 2011, 06:58 am »
Once I "upgraded" some 301 speakers for a friend, and I was shocked of the "POOR" quality of components and materials that these speakers are made. They try to save as much money as they can, but at the same time they try to price their products as high as they can.  it is funny to see some people bragging about their Bose speakers, they think they have the pinnacle in speakers. Keep dreaming Bose lovers...keep dreaming! :lol:

I have a friend with an older BOSE satellite and self powered subwoofer system. Somehow he slightly melted one of the two cubes, taking out one of the dual drivers. Anyway, he ordered a replacement driver directly from BOSE, more than $30 for a cheap 3" cone in a stamped frame, basically a $3 part. I did the repair for him and got to take a good look inside of them, bare bones cheap, really cheap. And to think that the entire three piece set originally cost more than $1000. What a rip off!

el`Ol

« Reply #64 on: 7 Dec 2011, 12:54 pm »
I never listened to a 901 but made an experiment recently. Use two single driver speakers and let them face the wall. Interesting: imaging is really better when the speakers are rotated outwards or inwards about the angle of the 901. Probably an accidental find by Amar Bose, but now I think the 901 is less of a joke article than one would think by looking at it. Sounds a bit too "psycho" for my taste, however, I like my Carlssons better.

Soundminded

« Reply #65 on: 7 Dec 2011, 02:00 pm »
You are wrong sir!!! He can sell tose drivers for way,way more money like $30 each, remember they are Bose drivers made of lunar material that can reach a phenomenal 12khz with  +/-10 db. :lol:

When you add up the value of all of the drivers used in practically all TOTL speakers like those of Wilson and Von Schweikert they come out to a tiny fraction of the $150,000 they charge for them. You could easily reverse engineer them for a few thosand dollars if you are not obsessed wtih the finish of the cabinets. Their price based on the value of what's in them is a joke. The changes to the stock drivers if any the speaker manufacturers make when they order them from their OEM source is not due to some remarkable discovery they've made but to keep control over the replacement/repair market for them and to prevent exact reverse engineering, however substantially similar units are available from those manufacturers as standard stock items.

saisunil

« Reply #66 on: 7 Dec 2011, 04:00 pm »
Bose, B&W, Wilson etc. are brands that most speaker manufacturers / businesses dream of ...  look at that profit stream baby ... :green:

In the end if someone enjoys their speakers - let them ... :thumb:

heck I enjoyed music more when we had tapes ... now the system has become so revealing that the mind has taken over the the heart of the matter - music / not equipment ...

No, I am not a bose fan - IME they are over-priced ... in a certain year 2005?? they spent $100 mm on marketing and advertising ... most audio companies make a fraction in their annual sales revenue ...  :duh:

Cheers

HiFiSoundGuy

« Reply #67 on: 9 Dec 2011, 12:34 am »
Whoa, this topic is getting heavy:scratch:

This is not shocking... you just have to say BOSE 901's on ANY FORUM and watch what happens...

Pez

« Reply #68 on: 9 Dec 2011, 12:36 am »
Does that make it 'controvesial'? Or is it simply that the 901s are garbage and everyone agrees about that, except for you and everyone who waxes nostalgic about an old/flawed design?

HiFiSoundGuy

« Reply #69 on: 9 Dec 2011, 12:41 am »
 When you setup these >TWEAKED OUT BOSE 901's< and find their >"G-SPOT"< its just sounds like.. "LIVE MUSIC" !!....  8)

TONEPUB

« Reply #70 on: 9 Dec 2011, 01:03 am »
When you add up the value of all of the drivers used in practically all TOTL speakers like those of Wilson and Von Schweikert they come out to a tiny fraction of the $150,000 they charge for them. You could easily reverse engineer them for a few thosand dollars if you are not obsessed wtih the finish of the cabinets. Their price based on the value of what's in them is a joke. The changes to the stock drivers if any the speaker manufacturers make when they order them from their OEM source is not due to some remarkable discovery they've made but to keep control over the replacement/repair market for them and to prevent exact reverse engineering, however substantially similar units are available from those manufacturers as standard stock items.

If you've ever toured the Wilson factory (and  i have) the amount of time and expense that goes into every Wilson product is pretty substantial.  You may think you can reverse engineer a pair of them for a couple thousand bucks, you can't.  You can't even buy the product they make their cabinets out of. 

Most of the driver changes are to get a specific performance parameter, and they buy in large enough quantity that it makes sense...

And you also forget that Wilson has one of the best dealer and service networks in the business.  Even when you buy a $15k pair of Sophias, the dealer installs them in your house,etc etc.

There's probably a couple thousand bucks worth of just wire and caps in a pair of Sophias.  Not even counting the drivers, the cabinets and the quality of finish, which is part of what someone buys a $15k pair of speakers for.

All of these things add up to why Wilson products also enjoy a high resale.  I'm guessing that your $2000 wilson clone will suck.(and it will have zero value on the secondary market)  There was a company at CES last year showing off their X2 Alexandria clone that sounded dreadful in comparison and guess what?  They were $175k a pair.

If you can make a better speaker than a Wilson Sophia for $2500, I'll put it on the cover and give you a years worth of free advertising to launch your business.   It won't happen.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #71 on: 9 Dec 2011, 01:23 am »
If you've ever toured the Wilson factory (and  i have) the amount of time and expense that goes into every Wilson product is pretty substantial.  You may think you can reverse engineer a pair of them for a couple thousand bucks, you can't.  You can't even buy the product they make their cabinets out of. 

Most of the driver changes are to get a specific performance parameter, and they buy in large enough quantity that it makes sense...

And you also forget that Wilson has one of the best dealer and service networks in the business.  Even when you buy a $15k pair of Sophias, the dealer installs them in your house,etc etc.

There's probably a couple thousand bucks worth of just wire and caps in a pair of Sophias.  Not even counting the drivers, the cabinets and the quality of finish, which is part of what someone buys a $15k pair of speakers for.

All of these things add up to why Wilson products also enjoy a high resale.  I'm guessing that your $2000 wilson clone will suck.(and it will have zero value on the secondary market)  There was a company at CES last year showing off their X2 Alexandria clone that sounded dreadful in comparison and guess what?  They were $175k a pair.

If you can make a better speaker than a Wilson Sophia for $2500, I'll put it on the cover and give you a years worth of free advertising to launch your business.   It won't happen.
Jeff,

Just to keep it real....

If the Sophia is $15k retail then they are buying it 40-50 points off probably.  Lets just say that they are $8k to the dealer.  The cost of the actual speaker is probably in the $2500 range.  Of course, throw in the overhead and it adds up very quickly. 

I will add that I've listened to many Wilson systems and have NEVER been impressed.  I always walk away extremely confused as to why people think they sound great.  I went to a demo where the sysstem was nearly $500k and setup by Wilson and went home and hugged my system. 

OzarkTom

« Reply #72 on: 9 Dec 2011, 02:24 am »
The Wilson Watts in the 1980's used the exact same cheap Audax tweeter that the $450 Spica TC-50's used. That tweeter had a peak in the high frequencies at 17Khz. Both brands of speakers would wear you out while listening. Wilson always showed them with Krell electronics at the CES shows. It didn't take me long to leave the room every year. I was told that Wilson could not hear that peak, so he would not change it to a better tweeter.

Soundminded

« Reply #73 on: 10 Dec 2011, 07:47 pm »

Much of what goes into a very high priced loudspeaker is useless junk, installed to impress tyros rather than to offer substantive value that contributes to actual improvement. Among items in this category are expensive wires and capacitors. The material that goes into making the cabinet (the veneer on the outside is like the gold plating on a watch, it may look attractive but adds nothing to its functionality) can be duplicated in terms of performance such as being non resonant with any one of a number of alternate materials. Again if a very expensive product is specified, it is to impress the customer, not value engineered to provide the desired functionality at the best possible cost. The drivers may be modified versions of standard off the shelf models but comparable performance can be obtained not just from stock products but from competitor's comparables. There are no real secrets in this business.

The best way to reverse engineer a product is to acquire one, test its performance characteristics, and then carefully disassemble it to see what makes it tick. For someone who is going to go into production with this product, that is the cheapest way even if the retail price for one unit is $15,000 or $150,000. As there is little market and little profit to be made from manufacturing and marketing a clone of a $15,000 speaker even if it retails for $2500, Wilson is probably safe. But if you really really like Sophia or Alexandria you can build it yourself for a fraction of the cost if you don't care about the cabinet finish. It's not that tough a trick. Never having heard one myself, I have no incentive to try it. Everyone and his uncle makes and sells the world's best speaker system and every issue of the hobbyist's favorite magazine has a review of the world's best speaker system of the month.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #74 on: 10 Dec 2011, 08:00 pm »
I've always wondered how a $30,000 speaker can be placed beside a $30,000 car and called a good value. The complexity, materials, engineering, tolerances, durability, etc., etc., etc...... in the car are orders of magnitude greater than what is required by, and provided in, the speaker.

Personally, I think the ultra high end audio products are a shameless fraud perpetuated on a witless hobbyist elite. If you go far enough into the land of diminishing returns, you come up empty.

Maybe manufacturers have found that the paucity of new customers can be overcome by scoring deeper on the few willing remnants of their past customer base.

Soundminded

« Reply #75 on: 10 Dec 2011, 08:15 pm »
I've always wondered how a $30,000 speaker can be placed beside a $30,000 car and called a good value. The complexity, materials, engineering, tolerances, durability, etc., etc., etc...... in the car are orders of magnitude greater than what is required by, and provided in, the speaker.

Personally, I think the ultra high end audio products are a shameless fraud perpetuated on a witless hobbyist elite. If you go far enough into the land of diminishing returns, you come up empty.

Maybe manufacturers have found that the paucity of new customers can be overcome by scoring deeper on the few willing remnants of their past customer base.

When you buy a $30,000 car you are getting 20,000+ parts that would cost you more to buy than the car itself let alone the labor to assemble. When you buy a pair of Wilson Sophia series 3 you are geting a pair of 1" titanium Focal tweeters, a pair of 7" paper cone midranges, and a pair of 10" aluminum cone woofers in a rear ported box tuned to 25 hz. Hope you didn't make the mistake of buying the series 2, the series 3 is much much much better, at least according to David Wilson. Here's his sales pitch if you can get through all the yuck!

http://www.wilsonaudio.com/product_soph.shtml

But if you like them you'd better hurry so that you can enjoy them as long as possible before you feel badly when the Series 4 comes out that will blow away the Series 3.  :lol:

Personally....I'd feel safer taking my chances with the car salesman.  :icon_lol:

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #76 on: 10 Dec 2011, 08:35 pm »
Say ----- you really are sound-minded.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #77 on: 10 Dec 2011, 09:39 pm »
Say ----- you really are sound-minded.

I would say that at best he is only half soundminded because he is only looking at one side of the coin.

More importantly the reasons why I bash Bose:
I get tired of hearing people ask if something suggested is "better than Bose", their question does not come from comparing the brand with other brands, but comes solely from advertising dollars spent. Also, what they say in their advertisements is, at times, ridiculous.

Soundminded

« Reply #78 on: 10 Dec 2011, 10:09 pm »
I would say that at best he is only half soundminded because he is only looking at one side of the coin.

Yeah, the buyer's side. Pity the poor seller. I won't give him an even break. Low volume high markup is the only way for him to make a living...if he can get some good reviews. Speaking of reviews, here's a link to Art Dudley's review of Sophia 3 in Stereophile

http://www.stereophile.com/content/wilson-audio-sophia-series-3-loudspeaker

From page 3

"For a few of us—lovers of analog sources and low-power tube amplifiers in particular—those days never ended: We continued to love Altecs and Audiovoxes and Klangfilms and Audio Notes. But for most audio survivors, the game changed in the earliest days of so-called high-end audio, as engineers took it on themselves to scrub the speakers' output clean of all but the signal. Their success gave us 30 years of the most boring shit imaginable, a situation not at all aided by the fact that the prices for such things just went up and up. And then up."

30 years of the most boring shit imaginable? You'd hardly know it from the endless glowing accolades month after month in Stereophile's speaker reviews.

Altec a high fidelity loudspeaker? Small wonder I don't subscribe to this magazine and rarely read it even for free.

Four years ago I heard Peter Qvortrop's best Audio Note speakers, a pair of $150,000 8" two way bookshelf speakers driven by a pair of $130,000 low power amplifiers, at the VTV consumer audio trade show in Piscataway NJ and I was completely underwhelmed.  Interesting that in the review Dudley said he got deeper better bass out of the Sophia3 than out of the Audo Note speakers. But then what do you want for a mere $150,000, perfection?

Quiet Earth

« Reply #79 on: 11 Dec 2011, 12:35 am »

Interesting.

The first time I heard a pair of Audio Note speakers I was also "underwhelmed". But after returning to the store many more times just to hang out with the guys (and not to analyze speakers or spend any more money  :nono:), I realized that I was having a hard time getting up to leave. The record kept ending and I kept getting up to put another one on. "Hey, I'm only an hour late, I can stay a little bit longer." During this time in my life I was also aware that my tastes were changing and I was comfortable letting go of what I had embraced before. Not that any of this matters to anyone, but I didn't really care who made the speaker that I was enjoying, or why it worked the way it did. Ok,Ok,,, I cared who made it and I was curious to figure out why it worked, but I didn't really care in the academic sense since it made me feel so happy when I was listening to it. What is the true value of something that makes your life so much nicer? Do you skip out on a good thing just because it doesn't fit into the neat little box that defines your audiophile life? Do you know what I mean?

If you do know what I mean then I don't see the point in getting all uptight over what something costs, how or where it is made, and what it is made out of. And why would you trash someone for buying it because they can, or because they actually like it? Does that make your own system sound any better?

Hope to hear those 901s again someday HiFiSoundGuy. Glad you are enjoying yours.  8)