ModWright Oppo BDP-95 Mods?.....YES!

Cyberbod

Re: ModWright Oppo BDP-95 Mods?.....YES!
« Reply #40 on: 9 Apr 2011, 12:03 pm »
Dan, Could you provide a detailed breakdown of what the tube mod consists of, similar to the SS breakdown on your website.

dchan88

« Reply #41 on: 9 Apr 2011, 06:01 pm »
Dan, if something that is not part of your mod goes wrong with the OPPO 95 during the first year, where will I send the unit for fixing the problem? Modwright or Oppo?

Phil A

« Reply #42 on: 9 Apr 2011, 06:34 pm »
Dan, if something that is not part of your mod goes wrong with the OPPO 95 during the first year, where will I send the unit for fixing the problem? Modwright or Oppo?

I would not sent it to Oppo.  They likely just exchange the units or replace the bad parts.  It the mods are attached to what has to be replaced, it would not be a good outcome.

dchan88

« Reply #43 on: 11 Apr 2011, 02:12 pm »
If I send the unit (with mods) back to Modwright, will Modwright help me fix or replace some of the parts that are under Oppo warranty?

modwright

« Reply #44 on: 11 Apr 2011, 09:15 pm »
If unit is in need of repair, you would send it to ModWright and we would do the following:

1) If failure due to our work - covered by 1 year warranty, parts and labor, less return shipping.

2) If drive failure or other issue that would otherwise be covered by Oppo factory warranty, we will repair for parts cost and minimal labor.  Shipping costs extra.

Thanks,

Dan

jackox

« Reply #45 on: 11 Apr 2011, 09:34 pm »
I know for facts that if any odds happens Dan will take good care of the unit.

He is really dedicated to his customers and will do more than his best to come up with the adequate solution.

antr

« Reply #46 on: 18 Apr 2011, 08:02 am »
Hi..
SS mod applied to BDP-95EU, will that be possible to do by yourself ?
Since sending a unit to US through customes etc. would not be nice regarding to time and price.
I think there is a potential market in EU countries, endusers doing there own upgrade in the same way Nuforce launch there 93Nu/NXE units.

//Anders

jackox

« Reply #47 on: 18 Apr 2011, 12:38 pm »
There is legal ways to get trought customs smoothly.
Maybe the best would be to ask MWI EU local distributor to manage to get BDP95s and send then to Dan.
But I know for facts that the man in change in England is real pain in the a**.

Better asking Dan to get the unit, add in a MRMZ module.
Cheaper and you'll get more stuff and earlier firmwares (current BDP93 EU does not recognize MP3 files, BDP95 will have the same problem).

modwright

« Reply #48 on: 20 Apr 2011, 04:47 pm »
The units we purchase domestically can be configured for 120V/240V operation.

I am investigating and verifying compatibility of a Euro-made MRMZ module that we are going to offer.

We do not offer ANY of our mods in kit form I am afraid.

Thank you,

Dan

jackox

« Reply #49 on: 20 Apr 2011, 05:33 pm »
I would never dare try DIY any of Dan's mods !

jwes

« Reply #50 on: 22 Apr 2011, 01:33 pm »
Anyone get to listen to the SS mod yet?  Also, if it's easy to characterize the difference between this and the NuForce mod, that would be interesting (specifically for the Oppo 95 SS mod, not in general). 

Jim

JerryH

« Reply #51 on: 22 Apr 2011, 02:28 pm »
Nuforce cancelled their plans for a mod on the 95.

talk2me

« Reply #52 on: 19 May 2011, 06:39 pm »
 :wink:Why?  :lol:

jwes

« Reply #53 on: 20 May 2011, 08:01 pm »
:wink:Why?  :lol:

talk2me - does the wink imply they canceled because of Dan's or is there something else going on?

klao

« Reply #54 on: 21 May 2011, 06:55 pm »
Hi Dan,

I'm waiting for my unit to arrive.  Just wanna make sure my balanced interconnects are long enough from the unit to my preamp by checking the photo from Oppo website.  So, have you changed any layout of the connections on the back panel of the BDP-95 after your mods? 

Also, did you measure the power consumption of the tube PS (mine is 220V-240V)?

BTW, Kristin has been a great help in making me a proud owner of ModWright products for the first time.   :thumb:

Thanks,
Klao
« Last Edit: 23 May 2011, 07:52 am by klao »

modwright

« Reply #55 on: 21 May 2011, 08:16 pm »
We do not change the layout of any of the connectors.

I still have yet to measure power consumption, thank you for the reminder.  It is no more than about 100W for the external supply and less for the actual player I believe.  200W max should be adequate.

Thank you for the comment about my Executive Assistant, Kristin.  She is a great asset to ModWright and reflects the qualities of ModWright that I have always strove to maintain.

Sincerely,

Dan W.

klao

« Reply #56 on: 17 Jun 2011, 05:16 pm »
Hi Dan,

I just received my units today in good order.  Thanks again to everyone in ModWright camp.  :thumb: 

Funny, but I've always thought that your tube modded Oppo player would be powered solely by the PS 9.0 unit via umbilical.  I found out I was mistaken when I couldn't turn the player on without plugging the power cord normally as well.

Some questions:
1.  Do we strictly have to wait 45 seconds after powering up the PS and all tubes before turning the Oppo on?
2.  Can the player operate if we forget to switch on the PS 9.0?
3. Is there suppose to be a LED to indicate that the PS 9.0 is operating?  The unit I got has a hole in the front panel above the "PS 9.0" screening.

As for the power consumptions, I gauged them roughly through my power conditioner / voltage stabilizer whose display shows power output in Amps.  When the PS 9.0 is switched on, it draws about 0.2 amps.  When the BDP-95 is turned on, it draws another 0.1 amp.  But when I checked the power consumption spec in Oppo manual, it says 45 Watts.  So if the PS 9.0 and al the tubes draw roughly twice as much, they should use around 90 Watts.  My guess is altogether both the player and PS would consume about 135 Watts.  Have you had time to make the measurement yet?

Cheers,
Klao 

modwright

« Reply #57 on: 17 Jun 2011, 05:59 pm »
Hi, yes, there are two power cords required.  The reason for this is that I wanted to COMPLETELY separate the tube supply from all other internal supplies.

You do have to wait the requisite 45 seconds for the voltages to stabilize before our analog stage comes out of mute.

You can operate the player by itself for MCH and digital out - all but 2CH analog outs - without tube supply being powered on.

There IS an LED installed.  It is press-fit into a plastic bezel in the faceplate.  It is possible that it popped out in shipping.  Please remove the PS cover and verify.  It is wire-leaded to the PS board (the LED) and then press-fit into a plastic bezel in the faceplate.  If this is not the case, please let me know and we will send out a replacement immediately.

Thank you,

Dan W.

klao

« Reply #58 on: 17 Jun 2011, 07:48 pm »
Thanks, Dan.  The LED and the attached wire are inside the PS unit.  I put them in place now.

Is the screening on the back about replacing fuse rating/type, 1A slow blo, corresponds correctly to the 220V-240V unit?  Just wanna make sure. 

Also, how does the current flow (some after-market fuses claim to have direction) thru the fuse, from back of the unit to front, or vice versa?  Or should I not worry about it at all?   :scratch:

dchan88

« Reply #59 on: 21 Jun 2011, 03:01 pm »
Dan:

What is the size of the output capacitor in the tube mods?

I plan to try different brand or size of capacitor and see if the sound can be improved.  Is the capacitor located before the buffer stage?

Thanks