Everything Louder Than Everything Else!!!! The Metal Thread

Wayner

Re: Everything Louder Than Everything Else!!!! The Metal Thread
« Reply #80 on: 8 Sep 2011, 11:37 pm »
I have the UFO live LP and if I get enough ambition, I will look up the back side, but I think I recall 142db! That my friends is F'ing loud. Poor Great Brittan.

:lol:

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #81 on: 8 Sep 2011, 11:40 pm »
I have the UFO live LP and if I get enough ambition, I will look up the back side, but I think I recall 142db! That my friends is F'ing loud. Poor Great Brittan.

At 142 dB, poor France and Germany as well...

D.D.

Noseyears

• Restricted
  • SS-Audio
    • Supreme Sound Audio
« Reply #82 on: 10 Sep 2011, 01:01 am »
Any Gothic/symphonic metal follower around? i've been waiting for the latest nightwish album.

PRELUDE

« Reply #83 on: 10 Sep 2011, 03:28 am »
Any Gothic/symphonic metal follower around? i've been waiting for the latest nightwish album.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iAH83evVmU

Scott F.

« Reply #84 on: 10 Sep 2011, 03:52 am »

Actually, it was Chicago.

The first song starts out "HELLO CHICAGO, WOULD YOU PLEASE WELCOME FROM ENGLAND...U...F...O!

Awesome album BTW! It's been a fav of mine since the 70s when it first came out.  :thumb:

BobM

« Reply #86 on: 13 Sep 2011, 01:07 pm »
Personally I am not that into pure "metal", mostly because it seems to have dipped into the cookie-monster vocal trend. Bands like Opeth and Katatonia have the musical background that I enjoy once in a while, but their death metal leanings make me skip through when the growls begin and the non-melodic thing starts.

So on that note, here's a few bands that keep that metal-type sound but also have melody and reasonable vocals, and a definite prog leaning as well (although some of this is shread-metal which needs smaller doses, and some have symphonic prog leanings with a heavier element).

- Porcupine Tree
- Riverside
- King Crimson
- Dream Theater
- Tool (some)
- Liquid Tension Experiment
- Gordian Knot
- Sieges Even
- Apocalyptica
- District 97
- Deep Purple (old school metal)

Bob

BobM

« Reply #87 on: 16 Sep 2011, 01:56 pm »
There sure seems to be a plathora of female vocal led metal groups these days too, like

- Evanescence
- Within Temptation
- District 97
- and several more I can't think of right now

For the most part these all tend to blend together for me (not all, but most). It is OK once in a while but it seems their having a female vocalist is about all the uniqueness they bring to the table most times. In my view the music still has to be there behind the lyrics.

nathanm

« Reply #88 on: 16 Sep 2011, 03:31 pm »

This little number has been enjoying an extended stay in my car's CD changer.  Technically, since it was recorded in the olden times when you know, audio engineers had these silly standard levels and other such silliness, it is NOT 'louder than everything else'; as the Count Raven "Mammon's War" which is in the slot after this one, comes on and blows the doors off.  Geesh!

PRELUDE

« Reply #89 on: 18 Sep 2011, 10:29 pm »
I just saw PENTAGRAM had a new album.
Did any one of you try this yet?

Hoosierdaddy

« Reply #90 on: 19 Sep 2011, 01:11 am »
Hey metalheads!

I have two CDs to give away.  High On Fire Blessed Black Wings and Death Is This Communion.  CDs are in perfect shape, only opened to burn into itunes. Any takers?

Diamond Dog

« Reply #91 on: 19 Sep 2011, 02:33 am »
Hey metalheads!

I have two CDs to give away.  High On Fire Blessed Black Wings and Death Is This Communion.  CDs are in perfect shape, only opened to burn into itunes. Any takers?

Already got 'em, good stuff!

D.D.

Ericus Rex

« Reply #92 on: 19 Sep 2011, 12:05 pm »
PM sent!     :rock:

Diamond Dog

« Reply #93 on: 23 Sep 2011, 02:53 am »

This is gonna get people talkin'...

D.D.

Alfalfa

« Reply #94 on: 1 Oct 2011, 09:17 pm »
Thanx for the tip D.D.  I'm scared already (Pain of Salvation analogy?).  :scratch:

The Sadus album is awesome (Illusions), Reign in Blood intensity!  :thumb:

Alfalfa

« Reply #95 on: 1 Oct 2011, 09:40 pm »
Always:

Still cannot listen to just one song of it and have to turn the level up and up..  To me it is still some kind of norm.

Some others:
Death Angel (old & new!), Forbidden, Meshuggah, Opeth, Death, Atheist, Dark Angel, Metal Church (1st), Dark Angel, etc...  Dream Theayer (Systematic chaos being the best), and of course the oldies AC/DC, Accept, Iron Maiden.

Diamond Dog

« Reply #96 on: 2 Oct 2011, 01:12 am »

This new Opeth...I've given it repeated listenings now and while I appreciate the complexities of it and all the fine playing and the fact that sonically it's gorgeous ( Steven Wilson strikes again!), the whole thing just seems.....sterile. It isn't connecting with me on an emotional level so far. You'd think that if this was the album Akerfeldt says he's been wanting to make since he was a teenager, there'd be more passion in it somehow.
We'll see how this comes across live when I see them in concert soon.

D.D.

PRELUDE

« Reply #97 on: 2 Oct 2011, 03:34 am »
This new Opeth...I've given it repeated listenings now and while I appreciate the complexities of it and all the fine playing and the fact that sonically it's gorgeous ( Steven Wilson strikes again!), the whole thing just seems.....sterile. It isn't connecting with me on an emotional level so far. You'd think that if this was the album Akerfeldt says he's been wanting to make since he was a teenager, there'd be more passion in it somehow.
We'll see how this comes across live when I see them in concert soon.

D.D.
D.D. :could you please tell me when and where Opeth going to play soon.
Could be The Opera House?

PRELUDE

« Reply #98 on: 2 Oct 2011, 04:05 am »
Greeting. :rock:
Well,I got out the show Friday night and I know that I had to stop in the store to get the new OPETH before go home and this is what happened. :duh:
First I saw that they had the limited one with the dvd and 3D cover so I took that.

Then I saw MASTODON had a new one too also I never heard the new SOILWORK was out last year so I got both.

Then I was walking out before I spend more and just saw the SAMAEL[ceremony of opposites] on gold cd XRCD. :o :o
Man I love this album and I had to pay extra for this and I already had the album for years but not a good recording.
So I got home with 4CDs. :thumb:

Diamond Dog

« Reply #99 on: 2 Oct 2011, 04:13 am »
D.D. :could you please tell me when and where Opeth going to play soon.
Could be The Opera House?

Prelude : Here you go.

http://www.opeth.com/home/tour-dates

D.D.