Latest Live Shows You've Been To...

mojoman

« Reply #60 on: 20 Jan 2005, 06:06 pm »
I saw the Michael Burks Blues Band last Saturday.  Burks is an excellent blues guitarist.  Check out either his cds I Smell Smoke or Make It Rain. His band is excellent and play with a lot of intensity.  They played two sets that clocked in at 3'45".  Not bad for 12 bucks.

cjr888

« Reply #61 on: 30 Jan 2005, 03:37 pm »
Couldn't pull off the Bright Eyes show.
Saw Martin Sexton and Jill Sobule last night at Irving Plaza.
Seeing Rogue Wave next Sunday at Maxwell's in Hoboken.

mcrespo71

« Reply #62 on: 17 Feb 2005, 03:40 am »
Saw Burt Bacharach in Vegas.  Great show and surprisingly excellent sound!

Michael 8)

Brad

« Reply #63 on: 17 Feb 2005, 03:44 am »
Madeleine Peyroux, at the Lensic theater in Santa Fe NM.

Great show, great venue.  Only 90 minutes, but loved the sound and performance.

ctviggen

« Reply #64 on: 23 Feb 2005, 05:11 pm »
Madeleine Peyroux?  I like her new CD, although I must admit I have trouble listening to it the entire way through.  However, this is a personal thing, as Diana Krall also is hard for me to listen to for an entire CD.  

I saw Arturo Sandoval last week.  He's the most amazing musician I've ever seen, and his band is great, too.  Arturo sings (sometimes while playing trumpet), plays the trumpet (and trombone?), keyboard, piano, and drums/percussion.  He also did this jazz-type of singing that I thought was amazing.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #65 on: 14 Mar 2005, 09:28 pm »
Lisa Loeb at the Barns, Wolftrap last Wednesday.  Cute girl with pretty good talent currently hung up on love/relationship theme.  Apparently she broke up with Dweezle (sp?) Zappa recently.  It was only Lisa on acoustic guitar and Matt Beck of Matchbox 20 on electric guitar and they actually sounded very good, but I had just about enough of love and breakups songs by the end of the show.  I did buy her children's CD and had it signed for my almost 3year old daughter.  She likes it.

ctviggen

« Reply #66 on: 20 Apr 2005, 04:08 pm »
I saw Alison Kraus and Union Station in Hartford, CT.  Alison has an incredible voice and her band is outstanding.  They sang a few songs from O Brother, Where Art Thou? and other CDs.  Alison is quite funny and engaging, too, and put on over a 2 hour show.

R_burke

« Reply #67 on: 20 Apr 2005, 05:17 pm »
Hydra - This is a combination of the band Particle and Mickey Hart from the Dead.  Jam band with an electronica bent.  The show I saw was the kick off to their current tour and the first time they played together in front of a audience. They played for about 3 hours with only a single break.  Good stuff, check em out at http://www.hydra-music.com/

rmihai0

« Reply #68 on: 20 Apr 2005, 10:16 pm »
Too many to mention. Each week-end I am going out for a live show. Last time Tchaikovsky and Mozart.

R_burke

« Reply #69 on: 20 Apr 2005, 10:31 pm »
Quote from: rmihai0
Too many to mention. Each week-end I am going out for a live show. Last time Tchaikovsky and Mozart.

Both together, damn, sorry that I missed it, where was it? and are they still on tour?

ekovalsky

« Reply #70 on: 1 May 2005, 08:18 pm »
Saw Vienna Teng at the Cave Creek Coffee Company last night.  Just her and Yamaha Concert Grand.  Phenomenal!  Got to meet her during the intermission, she was incredibly nice too.  

Both her CDs "Warm Strangers" and "Waking Hour" are superb.  Don't miss these if you like piano with female vocal.  Recordings are decent too.

She's hitting the east coast in July.

http://www.viennateng.com/

orthobiz

« Reply #71 on: 2 May 2005, 02:00 am »
cjr888: I saw Rogue Wave open for the Shins last year, both great bands. The Glands, however, also there, sucked.

Saw Fiery Furnaces with Dios Malos just last month. I love Fiery Furnaces (see almost every other post from me and you'll agree); they did a great show with about a 40 minute first song consisting of blenderized versions of at least a dozen of their songs. Incredible. Dios Malos had a sick drummer, definitely an off nite but their CD is pretty good.

Green Day next weekend.

biz

R_burke

« Reply #72 on: 31 May 2005, 02:02 pm »
Santa Cruz Blues Festival, May 28 & 29

I went Saturday, Curtis Salgado, Chris Cain, Poppa Chubby, Susan Tedeschi and Robert Cray

Great Venue (Aptos Village Park)

Curtis was great, band was incredibly tight
Susan was smack on
Robert was amazing, sound was excellent for an outside venue, band was groovin

All in all a great show

Captain Humble

« Reply #73 on: 16 Jun 2005, 06:27 am »
Caught Aaron Neville with the Neville Brothers a couple of weeks ago at an outdoor festival. We went with some friends from New Orleans and we all felt like we were back home again, at least until the music died and the beer wore off.

Monday night we caught Alison Krauss & Union Station.  This is an amazing group of artists.  They bill Jerry Douglas as the greatest dobro player in the WORLD and I left a believer.  Alison's interaction with the crowd and the band was cute and her performance spot on. God willin' and the creek don't rise, I'll be in the front row next time they're in town. :notworthy:
Jeff

gongos

« Reply #74 on: 16 Jun 2005, 07:12 am »
Gang of Four, flipping amazing.

CornellAlum

« Reply #75 on: 16 Jun 2005, 11:36 am »
summercamp 2005, moe, umphrees mcgee, victor wooten band, keller (whom I cannot stand), and well, MOE...6 sets worth over three days.  If anyone would like to hear some uncompressed 24/96 recordings of this stuff, let me know.

mcrespo71

« Reply #76 on: 24 Jun 2005, 03:15 am »
Just saw Oasis and Jet for a sold out show at MSG last night.  Great show and Oasis was in fine form for a rocking show!

Michael

Jumpin

Mark Knopfler
« Reply #77 on: 30 Jun 2005, 02:29 pm »
Mark Knopfler at Radio City Music Hall last night.
Some Dire Strits gems (Romeo & Juliette, Sultans, Brothers in Arms, Telegraph Road)
Plus lots of new stuff - Shangra - La is a super CD.  Fantastic performance and sound.  A guitar showcase - Knopfler is amazing.

P.S. Heartland Brewery beforehand was lots of fun too.

Mark

Brad

« Reply #78 on: 2 Aug 2005, 01:55 pm »
Jack Johnson at the Verizon Wireless theater in Houston.
3000 seat hall - great acoustics.

This was the first show on the tour and they sounded incredible.
Jack's guitar work is exceptional.

We'll see how it compares to the Dallas show Wed night....

BillyM

« Reply #79 on: 2 Aug 2005, 02:43 pm »
Speaking of Jack Johnson, I'm going beginning of Sept, hope its as good as you say.

Last I've seen...
The Spin Doctors, Blue-Cats of Knoxville.

"...little miss little miss can't be wrong!"

Man... bands of today dont know how to "perform".  Sure, they sing their material exactly like it was played on the CD.  *claps*  The Spin Doctors was the first band I've seen lately that really "performed".  Leg-kicks over the mic-stand, spins between choruses, lots of dancing with the mic-stand, insteurmental solos for each member, and crowd sing-alongs on their popular stuff.  Given, quite the few-hit wonder, was an excellent concert and although I'm a little sheepish to say, I had a darn good time.

--BillyM