Latest Live Shows You've Been To...

bob82274

« on: 20 Mar 2004, 06:49 am »
Any time you've been to a concert, a symphony, or other live show post your thoughts on it in this thread.  Maybe you saw some new artist that you think has a lot of promise or maybe you just got back from seeing a legend perform.  Give us your impressions on it both good and bad!

cjr888

New Shows, Missed Shows, and Ticket Allocation....
« Reply #1 on: 21 Mar 2004, 12:23 am »
Just had something backwards happen with purchasing tickets for a show.  I always assume that good seats go first, and that's how it works.

I wanted to see Damien Rice at the Beacon in NYC on 5/3, saw that a presale existed on Thursday, and jumped on the first tickets that popped up when ticketmaster.com opened buying.  Got Row J, center section of orchestra, aisle seats.  Figured, not bad, and was happy that I even got tickets this time around.

For the heck of it, an hour later I did another search.  Row D, aisle seats, center section orchestra.  The first four rows are labeled AA, BB, CC, DD, and then go to single letters.  So 8th row center.  Was very happy....and bought them too.

Tickets officially went on sale this morning at 9am.  Around 1:30pm today, out of curiosity, I checked ticketmaster.com out of curiosity to see if it sold out..  Again, for the heck of it, I did a ticket search.  What came up?

Row BB, Orchestra, Center Section, dead center.

Short Story - I now have six tickets to the show, and tickets that are two rows from the stagem dead center.  Needless to say, I'm extremely happy, and also need to sell my car to pay ticketmaster surchages.  Better sound at row J, or up close and personal two rows from the stage....

I missed out on tickets to two other shows in NYC that I would love to see.

1.  Tonight - Hem @ Makor which sold out.  Go listen to this band, then buy the CD, then go see them live.  Band site is http://www.rabbitsongs.com

2.  3/30 - Van Morrison @ Irving Plaza.  I have no idea how I didn't notice that tickets went on sale.  I have no idea why he's playing at such a small venue.  Either way I want tickets bad!

Anyone going to any shows soon?
Anyone going to Jazz Fest this year, or any summer festivals?
Anyone understand how ticket allocation works?!

Eric

« Reply #2 on: 3 Apr 2004, 07:06 pm »
Leo Kottke was the latest for me

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #3 on: 3 Apr 2004, 07:16 pm »
Saw the Subdudes last Sunday night at a really small venue (under 100 people)

Besides loving the music of the Subdudes, I was reminded how far our systems are from the real thing.

Try sitting 6-10' away from a snare drum - talk about transient attack and dynamics!!  

George

Inscrutable

• http://home.earthlink.net/~inscrutabl/index.html
« Reply #4 on: 4 Apr 2004, 01:01 pm »
Just posted a thread, before I saw this one,about Tift Merritt and Sarah Lee Guthrie.

Mike B.

« Reply #5 on: 16 Apr 2004, 08:39 pm »
Two weeks ago it was Willy Porter at a local small venue. He is a excellent musician and showman. Last night it was Govt Mule. The crowd was definately young enough to be my kids, but I had to check out Warren Haynes. He is perhaps the best electric guitarist playing today. Both performers are highly recommended. :D

mcrespo71

« Reply #6 on: 16 Apr 2004, 09:12 pm »
I just took my girlfriend to Missy Elliot, Alicia Keys, and Beyonce at MGS.  Alicia Keys was great and Beyonce was great to look at through my binoculars.  :o  :o   MMMMMMMMM Bootylicious!   I have extremely close seats to the Prince concert at MGS in July- looking forward to that.

Michael

PhilNYC

« Reply #7 on: 16 Apr 2004, 10:50 pm »
Went to grab an after-work drink with a friend at the Time Hotel in NYC (W 49th St. between 7th and 8th), and the lounge band was called Soul Solution...and apparently they are the band that played Paul McCartney's wedding...

They were pretty good!  Soul Solution plays there every Wednesday from 8-11pm...

Here's an interview with the band leader:

http://www.musicandfilmnetwork.com/gregdenard.htm

Inscrutable

« Reply #8 on: 17 Apr 2004, 09:56 am »
  ... MMMMMMMMM Bootylicious! I have extremely close seats to the Prince concert at MGS in July- looking forward to that.

Michael, you might want an extra space or something between those two statements  :wink:

rosconey

« Reply #9 on: 17 Apr 2004, 10:28 am »
mcrespo71-where is mgs-i never heard of it

is it a lesser known sister building of the garden, or is it for the math type people-madison garden squared :lol:

PhilNYC

« Reply #10 on: 17 Apr 2004, 12:03 pm »
Quote from: mcrespo71
I have extremely close seats to the Prince concert at MGS in July- looking forward to that.

Michael

You know, I didn't like Prince much during the 80s, but grew an appreciation for his music during the 90s.  But he lost it for me when my wife was watching the Ellen Degeneres show, and there was Prince and his band, playing a tune, and he was pulling audience members up on stage and dancing with them.  Have you ever seen the women in Ellen Degeneres' audience?  It is middle-aged housewife Central.  This was the guy who sang Little Red Corvette?  It was like seeing Neill Young play to a packed house in a shopping mall... :o

mcrespo71

« Reply #11 on: 17 Apr 2004, 02:58 pm »
^^That must have been a frightening sight^^

gongos

« Reply #12 on: 17 Apr 2004, 07:26 pm »
David Bowie , which was amazing.

Kraftwerk in a week.

mojoman

« Reply #13 on: 17 Apr 2004, 10:17 pm »
Saw Leon Russell last night.  He hobbled out on stage with a cain but once he got seated in front of his piano he really rocked and rolled.  He only played about an hour and a half but there was no fluff.  Really good band he had too.

Next up - Leftover Salmon and then the Drive By Truckers.

zeke

« Reply #14 on: 17 Apr 2004, 11:58 pm »
Coco Montoya ---  small venue ----  this guy can play the blues ............

Inscrutable

« Reply #15 on: 22 Apr 2004, 03:00 am »
triple post

Inscrutable

« Reply #16 on: 22 Apr 2004, 03:01 am »
triple post

Inscrutable

« Reply #17 on: 22 Apr 2004, 03:01 am »
mojoman,
When/where are DBT?  I just picked up Southern Rock Opera on vinyl, but haven't been home to listen to it.

Dmason

« Reply #18 on: 22 Apr 2004, 03:21 am »
Last night, YES, Anaheim Pond.

Last of the Dinosaurs, First Lords of Progressive Rock...Superbly crafted live material delivered with their usual staggering display of legendary musicianship, which seems to be getting even better. Jon Anderson still nailing the high notes dead on key and beat, aged 60. Steve Howe, Chris Squire, Rick Wakeman, et al, brilliant. --I studied them all night.

No rock act on this side of the rainbow is more capable of stirring the soul..

mojoman

« Reply #19 on: 23 Apr 2004, 06:59 pm »
Quote from: Inscrutable
mojoman,
When/where are DBT?  I just picked up Southern Rock Opera on vinyl, but haven't been home to listen to it.

Their playing at the Lincoln Theater on Thursday, May 6. Tickets are $12. Show starts at 9:00.

If you like SRO you should get Decoration Day, it's every bit as good.  I saw them at the Cat's Cradle last October and they were awesome.  It was the best rock & roll show I've been to in several years.  They just keep playing and playing and with each song they seemed to raise the level of intensity a little higher.  We thought we were going to have go beg them to stop and let us go home but they finally finished up about 2:30 after playing a single 3 hour plus set.  

The Lincoln is even a better venue, I can't wait to see them again.