Latest music you've picked up...

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #80 on: 11 Aug 2004, 01:50 am »
Elanor McEvoy - "Yola"

Eva Cassidy - "Live At Blues Alley"

Bozzio, Levins, Stevens - "Black Light Syndrome" and "Situation Dangerous"

George

Musky_Don

« Reply #81 on: 11 Aug 2004, 03:04 am »
Little Feat - Waiting for Columbus - vinyl

Great album.  Got it from Ebay - the auction said it was a Warner bros pressing - I received a Mobile fidelity pressing - AWESOME!!!  Definately better than the CD.  I love this hobby - nice surprises all the time.

jakepunk

The Bad Plus
« Reply #82 on: 12 Aug 2004, 02:51 am »
The Bad Plus - "These are the Vistas" and "Give"

I saw a writeup of this piano-bass-drum jazz trio in Stereophile or TAS (I forget which), and I decided to check out what all the fuss was about.  When I saw both of these CDs at the used CD store, I picked them both up.

I am impressed.  The writing and playing are fantastic.  In general, I shy away from "modern jazz" because it gets too close to Philip Glass territory, and it usually takes me many listening sessions before I warm up to something that's outside my normal repertoire.  But not so with The Bad Plus.  I was immediately drawn to this music.

The best way I can describe their music is "Dave Brubeck meets Morphine".  They're known for their covers of such staples as "Smells like Teen Spirit", "Heart of Glass", and "Iron Man".  But I think they really shine on their original compositions where they show off their chops.  It would be a mistake to think their only talent is jazz covers of rock songs.

Their second release, "Give", didn't get as good reviews as their big-label debut, "These are the Vistas", and I tend to agree that "Give" doesn't have as much energy as their first release.  I also think "These are the Vistas" sounds better from a recording standpoint.  If you only wanted to buy one CD to check them out, I would recommend "These are the Vistas".

The Bad Plus is probably old news to many of you since they really "broke out" in 2003, but  I am happy I now know about this group.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
Re: The Bad Plus
« Reply #83 on: 12 Aug 2004, 03:23 am »
Quote from: jakepunk
The Bad Plus - "These are the Vistas" and "Give"

I saw a writeup of this piano-bass-drum jazz trio in Stereophile or TAS (I forget which), and I decided to check out what all the fuss was about.  When I saw both of these CDs at the used CD store, I picked them both up.

I am impressed.  The writing and playing are fantastic.  In general, I shy away from "modern jazz" because it gets too close to Philip Glass territory, and it usually takes me many listening sessions ...
Both excellent cds...check out track # 2 on "Vistas"...a NY Audio Rave fav track for checking the bass !!!! Great stuff !!!! :)

PeteG

« Reply #84 on: 14 Aug 2004, 12:17 am »
The Peter Malick Group featuring Norah Jones/ New York City

A little more upbeat than Norah's regular jazz sound. very good stuff.

#3 track: Deceptively/ is killer :drums:

Jay S

« Reply #85 on: 14 Aug 2004, 12:24 am »
Quote from: PeteG
The Peter Malick Group featuring Norah Jones/ New York City

A little more upbeat than Norah's regular jazz sound. very good stuff.

#3 track: Deceptively/ is killer :drums:

I really love this album.  Too bad not too many people seem to know it.  I find it easier to listen to from start to finish than Norah's first album.  I have listened to her current album many times in the store -- I've tried to like it but I find myself getting bored quickly.

My favorite new music, though, is my old music.  I've loaded about 4 Gb of music from my CDs to my iPod.  The Party Mix function is awesome!  I am hearing great songs that I had not bothered to play in ages.  I do delete songs that I don't care for (no need to keep the entire album since I have the Cd anyway).  Awesome stuff.  I am thinking of connecting my laptop (which has iTunes and, therefore, a copy of everything on my iPod) to my home stereo -- there is separate thread in the Empirical Audio forum re installng a USB adaptor into a Monarchy Audio DIP and then connecting that to the DAC of your home stereo).  Sorry if this is OT but sometimes I think the best new stuff is old stuff that you had forgotten about.

rosconey

« Reply #86 on: 17 Oct 2004, 10:38 pm »
wow this thread died :o

train-drops of jupiter(this is a very good cd)
talking heads-the best of ( :mrgreen: )
steve miller band-living in the usa( :D )

Tonto Yoder

« Reply #87 on: 17 Oct 2004, 11:35 pm »
Richard Shindell--"Vuelta"

Shindell's "Somewhere Near Patterson" is one of the great CD's of the past few years; his live CD "Courier" was nearly as good. "Vuelta" didn't do much for me unfortunately: nothing actually WRONG with it, but it didn't bowl me over the way "Patterson" did (and still does).

Jeff Buckley's Legend edition of "Grace" with extra tracks and a DVD.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #88 on: 17 Oct 2004, 11:59 pm »
Scriabin - Complete Piano Sonata's
Performed by Roberto Szidon

Got this as I was never 100% satisfied with my other sets of Scriabin Sonatas performed by Hamelin and Ashkenazy.  I figured since I liked Szidon's performances of the Liszt Hungarian Rhapsodies so much this would be a good bet.  Boy was I ever right.  Szidon just nails this music.

D12 - D12 World
Don't bother with this if you are easily offended, as D12 tends toward "shock" rap lyrics.  Otherwise, good production values, clever rhymes, fun beats.

Gordy

« Reply #89 on: 18 Oct 2004, 02:25 am »
Wow Rosconey,  that didn't take much did it!

The Black Keys - Rubber Factory

Ben Harper and The Blind Boys - There Will Be A Light

Mark Knopfler - Shangri La - SACD

Hector Zazou - Songs From The Cold Seas

And a whole handful of Patty Griffin cdr's :thumb:

Eric

« Reply #90 on: 19 Oct 2004, 01:13 am »
Several by Eva Cassidy

Dokter_doug

« Reply #91 on: 19 Oct 2004, 02:23 am »
The Chandos 4 CD boxed set of Bax's Symphonies. Stunning recordings of terrific music. The set just won Gramophone's orchestral work of the year award.

orthobiz

« Reply #92 on: 7 Nov 2004, 01:44 am »
The Fiery Furnaces, "Blueberry Boat"

Brother/sister raised on Gilbert & Sullivan,
tempo changes of Zappa
voice similar to Deaf School
epics like some Crack the Sky,

definitely different than anything out there.

Does not yield its charms on the first few listens but now I'm drawn like a moth to the flame...

biz

jakepunk

« Reply #93 on: 8 Nov 2004, 02:53 am »
Junior Brown - Down Home Chrome

Junior Brown covers so many different genres on this Telarc disc: western, boogie, blues, jazz, and even rock.  His "aw shucks" Southern demeanor belies the fact that his axework is smokin'!  I think this CD captures the essence of his live performances.

Geri Allen - The Life of a Song

Stereophile recommend this disc highly, and I love jazz trio, so I decided to check it out.  Rounded off to the nearest thumbs-up or thumbs-down, I give it a thumbs up (with the exception of track #1).  The first song drives me nuts.  Allen uses dissonant chords to imitate an African stringed instrument called the kora, and it grates on my nerves.  The rest of the tracks are more to my liking.  

Cake - Pressure Chief

I love Cake.  It's intelligent Pop.  There are great bass grooves throughout this disc, and there's a lot more synthesizer than in previous releases.  You'll recognize a lot of Vince Clarke-inspired Erasure-esque synth arpeggios.  The recording engineering is really good, too... much better than you would expect from your average Pop CD.

Jamie Cullum - Twentysomething
Jamie Cullum - Pointless Nostalgic

Jamie Cullum sings as if he has more wisdom than your average 24-year old.  Cullum is more the center of attention in Twentysomething, whereas the ensemble in PN dilutes his contribution.  I prefer Twentysomething, but they're both good.

Depeche Mode remixes 81...04 3-CD Limited Edition set

I am an unabashed DM fan.  Yes, you're paying money for remixes of stuff you already have, but it's fun!

Dirty Dozen Brass Band - Funeral for a Friend

I got this one to console myself after my cat died recently.  The contrast of the stark black-and-white images in the liner notes with the joyous gospel playing illustrates the sadness of death and the celebration of life.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #94 on: 8 Nov 2004, 05:55 am »
Quote from: Dokter_doug
The Chandos 4 CD boxed set of Bax's Symphonies. Stunning recordings of terrific music. The set just won Gramophone's orchestral work of the year award.

How do you like it?  I've had it about 6 months, and it was all new music to me.  Personally I really like the 1st & 3rd, kinda like the 5th & 6th, and am not too keen on the 2nd & 4th.

I recently picked up Shostakovich - Complete String Quartets performed by the Manhattan String Quartet.  I'm still evaluating the performances (mostly postively impressed), but I can say without question that these are the best sounding recordings of string quartets I've heard, maybe the best recording of anything.  You really get a sense of the physical presence of the instruments, and it adds a lot of realism to the proceedings.

sys1

« Reply #95 on: 8 Nov 2004, 11:09 pm »
JESSICA WILLIAMS- LIVE AT YOSHI'S
MULGREW MILLER- LIVE AT YOSHI'S 1
KENNY WERNER PEACE- LIVE AT THE BLUE NOTE
BARRY HARRIS- LIVE IN NEW YORK
JASON LINDNER- LIVE/UK

If you are even remotely into jazz, the Jessica Williams(piano) CD
is a must own. The Phil Edwards Recording team has captured the
music and the venue.

gongos

« Reply #96 on: 8 Nov 2004, 11:42 pm »
OMD - Junk Culture

The Stooges - Raw Power

Cracker - Countrysides

Roxy Music - Viva

Interpol - Antics

cjr888

« Reply #97 on: 8 Nov 2004, 11:44 pm »
001 and 003 from http://www.numerogroup.com/

Check them out.
Then buy both.

nathanm

sub on volume up lights out
« Reply #98 on: 8 Nov 2004, 11:56 pm »
Fantomas - Delirivm Corda
(yes, it's supposed to be a V.  Ain't it artsy?)

I highly recommend this CD as a new addition to your "killer bass show off" collection.  This has some of the deepest tones I've ever heard.  Don't even bother with this one unless you have a subwoofer.  I mean it, unless you can get some serious air moving it just ain't gonna be as much fun to listen to.

It's quite a departure from "Director's Cut" in that there is very little 4-piece band segments and the majority of it is like a dark ambient soundspace kinda thing.  As ridiculous as it may seem, this record was actually frightening to listen to, at least for the 1st time through.  Turn off all the lights, make sure that sub is fired up and get your buttocks ready for 79 minutes of creeping terror!  It is truly a hi-fi delight with big dynamic range, spatial effects, and of course some of the most subterranian bass I ever heard.  It's difficult to describe all the sounds on here (perhaps it is what goes through one's mind on an operating table) but at 25:00 into it there is a segment where somebody is twirling a long rope or something.  It was like you could actually FEEL the subsonic pressure of that whirling rope against your body.  Like I said, it is a very frightening album with lots of sonic jabs that'll make you flinch.

Their first two albums are probably too much crazy grind noise for the average audiophile punter, but this one I would think anybody could get into.  If this album isn't a case for sitting alone in your darkened listening room with earnest concentration then I don't know what is! :)

Besides, it's got THREE diacritics in the title! :rock:

orthobiz

« Reply #99 on: 9 Nov 2004, 02:32 am »
Nathan

No umlauts
One circonflex
Two accent grave

Sorry

biz