Latest music you've picked up...

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #60 on: 30 Jun 2004, 03:13 am »
Wynton Marsalis Quartet
The Magic Hour  D152304    

Big Head Todd & The Monsters
Crimes Of Passion  D151974    

Rush
Retrospective I (1974-1980)  D118700    

Rush
Retrospective II (1981-1987)  D118806    

Harry Connick, Jr.
30  D141906    

The Clash
London Calling (Remastered)  D133089    

Suzanne Vega
RetroSpective: The Best Of Suzanne Vega  D146916    

Frank Sinatra
Songs For Swingin' Lovers (Remastered)  D125699    

Frank Sinatra
Sinatra Reprise: The Very Good Years  D180304    

Glenn Miller
Platinum Glenn Miller  D246484    

John Coltrane
Lush Life (SACD Hybrid)  D152338    

Frank Sinatra
Portrait Of Sinatra: Columbia Classics  D221918

All this for a hair over $100 shipped to me via BMG (60% off sale)  :D

George

Sa-dono

« Reply #61 on: 2 Jul 2004, 03:04 am »
Latest purchases today:

Rush - Feedback
Maroon 5 - 1.22.03 Acoustic
Nellie McKay - Get Away From Me

pjchappy

« Reply #62 on: 2 Jul 2004, 02:24 pm »
Wilco:  A Ghost Is Born--very good!

p

Gordy

« Reply #63 on: 6 Jul 2004, 09:15 pm »
String Driven Thing - The Machine That Cried  :mrgreen:

What a blast from the past...

Jumpin

Cowboy Junkies
« Reply #64 on: 12 Jul 2004, 05:28 pm »
New one, can't think of the name.  
Listened Saturday, sounds great.
They have a way of deconstructing a song into parts so that you hear each of the pieces very distinctly, and Margo's voice holds it all together.
Bought at Borders with bonus disc including their versions of Thunder Road (BS), Darkness Darkness (JCY), Helpless (NY).  Worth the price of the CD alone.

Mark

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
Re: Cowboy Junkies
« Reply #65 on: 12 Jul 2004, 10:38 pm »
Quote from: Jumpin
New one, can't think of the name.  
Listened Saturday, sounds great.
They have a way of deconstructing a song into parts so that you hear each of the pieces very distinctly, and Margo's voice holds it all together.
Bought at Borders with bonus disc including their versions of Thunder Road (BS), Darkness Darkness (JCY), Helpless (NY).  Worth the price of the CD alone.

Mark

Aargh! what is that name?

Jumpin

Cowboy Junkies
« Reply #66 on: 13 Jul 2004, 01:06 am »
Its called One Soul Now.  
You can see a description on Amazon.com

Mark

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #67 on: 13 Jul 2004, 01:16 am »
Quote from: pjchappy
Wilco:  A Ghost Is Born--very good!

p

I already was a BIG Wilco fan, but this cd is really addictive!!

Go out and buy it even if you aren't a big fan.

George

jqp

• Volunteer
Re: Cowboy Junkies
« Reply #68 on: 14 Jul 2004, 06:35 pm »
Quote from: Jumpin
Its called One Soul Now.  
You can see a description on Amazon.com

Mark

Ah Cowboy Junkies - I couldn't figure ouy=t who the artist was...now I see it is in the subject of your message (which I never notice)

BeeBop

« Reply #69 on: 15 Jul 2004, 10:04 am »
"Alan Hovhaness: Symphony No. 22 ("City of Light"), Cello Concerto"; Alan Hovhaness, Janos Starker, Dennis Russell Davies, Seattle Symphony Orchestra; Naxos :D

"Hovhaness: Celestial Gate and Other Orchestral Works"; Alan Hovhaness, I Flaminghi (Orchestra of Flanders), Rudolf Werthen, many other performers; Telarc :D

"Live at Maybeck Recital Hall, Vol. 9; Marian McPartland"; Concord :)

"Study in Brown"; Clifford Brown, Max Roach; Polygram :D

"Vaughan Williams: Symphony No. 7 'Sinfonia antartica', Symphony No. 8"; Ralph Vaughan Williams, Kees Bakels, Bournemouth Sinfonietta, Lynda Russell, Christopher Dowie; Naxos :D

"Chopin: Waltzes Nos. 1-14"; Fryderyk Chopin, Dinu Lipatti; EMI Classics (Great Recordings of the Century) :D

"Companion"; Patricia Barber; Blue Note :D

"Bax: Symphony 5/Pine-Trees"; Sir Arnold Bax, Royal Scottish National Orchestra, David Lloyd-Jones; Naxos :)  

"In A Silent Way"; Miles Davis; Sony :D

"Bax: Symphony No. 6, Into the Twilight"; Sir Arnold Bax, David Ylla-Somers, Royal Scottish National Orchestra; Naxos :)

"Bax: Symphony No. 7, Tintagel"; Sir Arnold Bax, David Lloyd-Jones, Royal Scottish National Orchestra; Naxos :)

"American Angels; The Anonymous 4"; Harmonia Mundi :|

"Tony Banks: Seven"; Michael Dixon, London Philharmonic Orchestra, Tony Banks; Naxos :|

"Twentysomething"; Jamie Cullum; Universal :D

SWG255

« Reply #70 on: 15 Jul 2004, 04:46 pm »
On CD:

Wilco "A Ghost Is Born", this is an excellent disc, at least as good as "Yankee Hotel Foxtrot".

Jesse Malin "The Heat", I haven't made up my mind about this one yet, the guitar playing is good, but I'm not to crazy about his vocals and lyrics. I bought it "on a flyer", so I didn't know what to expect.

Dick Dale "Better Shred than Dead", I needed some surf music to take to the beach!

On SACD:

Sting "Brand New Day", better than the redbook CD soncially by a wide margin.

Dianna Krall "Girl in the Other R0om", terrific music and sound!

Richard and linda Thompson "Shoot Out the Lights", a classic disc, even better on SACD soncially.

pjchappy

« Reply #71 on: 16 Jul 2004, 04:24 am »
As far as the new Wilco, I've listened to it about 2 dozen times since I got it. . .if not more. . .it is absolutely TREMENDOUS!

p

ABEX

« Reply #72 on: 16 Jul 2004, 09:50 pm »
The Cranberries—To the Faithful Departed
Patty Smyth—Patty Smyth
Spin Doctors—Pocketful of Kryptonite
Elton John—Browndirt Cowboy (1995) Remake
Rod stewart—Greatest Hits

Total Cost=$10

PawnShop for $10. I wish they had more stuff to choose from,but I have cleaned them out and now I am only getting a few every month!

I think Browndirt Cowboy was a good pickup as it was a cleaned up remastered disc.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #73 on: 18 Jul 2004, 05:05 pm »
Haydn - The complete Symphonies
Conducted by Adam Fischer
The Austro-Hungarian Haydn Orchestra

33 cd's!!!!  Damn this is a lot of Haydn.  But I have to say that it was absolutely worth the cost.  Fischer plays the music with much more emotive dept, more panach, and more polish than my other set of Haydn symphonies performed by Dorati.  Dorati ends up making Haydn sound too "cheerful" to me, where Fischer balances the wit, beauty, and sophistication of Haydn with a feel for the deeper emotive currents underneath the surface charm.  For the most part these are all great recordings and a LOT of really beautiful music.

jqp

• Volunteer
« Reply #74 on: 27 Jul 2004, 03:10 am »
Paul Barrere & Fred Tackett Live From North Cafe
As I occaisionally do, I bought this CD based on a track I heard on the radio - "Old Folks Boogie". It is a pretty decent acoustic version of the Little Feat tune. This whole album is live acoustic versions of Little Feat songs. Its OK, but like so many electric guitarists, their acoustic chops are not quite what they could be with a little more practice. The sound man also put too much of that 'tizz' sound from the pick-uped strings in the mix. Sigh

Marty Grosz And Destiny's Tots  Swing It!

Marty Grosz And Destiny's Tots Songs I Learned at My mothers Knee and Other Low Joints

Marty Grosz And Destiny's Tots Keep A Song in Your Soul

Mart Grosz is an old acoustic jazz guitarist and pre-bebop singer, almost from the days of vaudeville. His band has redds and brass, bass and drums. Not a big band, but a small band. Reminds you of Leon Redbone with real brass.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #75 on: 27 Jul 2004, 03:15 am »
Megadeth, "Rust In Peace."  Plus a John Williams guitar CD.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #76 on: 27 Jul 2004, 04:14 am »
After being entralled by Fischer doing the early and middle Haydn Symphonies to perfection, I was very disappointed with his rendition of the late symphonies (big, slow, heavy, and boring).  So I picked up both Juchum and the London Philharmonic, and Bruggen with the Orchestra of the 18th Century, doing the last 12 "London" symphonies (93-104).  I like them both, they are certainly better than Fischer.  Jochum is still perhaps a little bit to much "large" sounding, Bruggen more immediately appealing due to his lighter and more incisive performances.

Eric

« Reply #77 on: 2 Aug 2004, 03:45 pm »
JVC XRCD24:

1. Tchaikovsky Symphony no 4
2. Tchakovsky 1812 Overture

R_burke

Dr. John - N'Awlinz - dis, dat....
« Reply #78 on: 3 Aug 2004, 09:43 pm »
Latest recording from Dr. John - Great stuff - several guests including Cyril Neville, Mavis Staples, BB King and others.  This is New Orleans at its best, you can tast the gumbo and it makes you want to mix up a batch of hurricanes.

orthobiz

« Reply #79 on: 5 Aug 2004, 02:39 am »
Will have to check out the new Dr. John, but speaking of Mac Rebennac, how about the Rhino Handmade reissue of Doug Sahm's first two solo albums? Just got the two disc set, "Doug Sahm and Band" and "Texas Tornado," featuring Doug Sahm, Bob Dylan, Dr. John, Bob Dylan, David Bromberg, David Fathead Newman and others.

This is a live-in-studio sound that can't be beat. The reissue cleans up the sound of my well-worn records that date back to when he blew me away in a college concert. Typical wonderful Rhino job with liner notes, etc. Lots of added tracks, all of which are good, stuff that could have been included but there was simply no room on the vinyl.

Limited release of 5000, mine is 3000 something, pick it up before they're out at rhinohandmade.com, "The Genuine Texas Groover," unparalleled mix of country, blues, tex-mex, rollicking rock and roll.

Don't wait for them to be sold out--Television Live is no longer available (glad I got mine!)

biz