Latest music you've picked up...

Tonto Yoder

« Reply #20 on: 14 Apr 2004, 10:16 am »
Jeff Buckley--"The Grace EP's"
I haven't played it too much yet, but so far it has been a disappointment:
a number of the live versions are just too rambling for my tastes. Some of the songs that are in the 4 minute range on the studio "Grace" are stretched out to 11 to 14 minutes in the live versions ( I realize such expansion is common in live performances, but it doesn't work for me here).  There were a few times when I thought my CD player was malfunctioning (i.e. playing the same section over and over) but it was just the band repeating the same riff (maybe Jeff left the stage to pee??).

Keep in mind that I think the studio "Grace" is one of the great albums ever; fortunately, I got the EP box (5 EP's) off eBay, so it wasn't too expensive.

Reminds me somewhat of comparing Crosby, Stills "Deja Vu" to the live "Four Way Street"--the live songs are MUCH longer, a little looser but the CSNY jams work much better for me than Buckley's.

rosconey

« Reply #21 on: 15 Apr 2004, 09:44 pm »
just grabbed govt mule-the deep end vol2
and jackyl-jackyl-was a super buy for 2.50 so it was hard to pass up, heck the lunberjack song is worth it alone :mrgreen:

mule sounds like a funky alman bros :mrgreen:

SWG255

New discs for my modded SCD-1
« Reply #22 on: 16 Apr 2004, 01:34 am »
I went a little crazy at Elusive Disc last weekend, since they were having a "Tax Time Sale". All the titles are on SACD except the Burmester Sampler:

BRUCE COCKBURN ANYTHING, ANYTIme, Anywhere
     AIMEE MANN LOST IN SPACE and Bachelor No. 2
           RAY BROWN Trio  SOULAR ENERGY            
BLUES QUEST SAMPLER                
CONCORD SACD Samplers (Volumes 1 and 2)
THE COWBOY JUNKIES OPEN            
JACO PASTORIUS Big Band WORD OF MOUTH
ANDY NARELL THE PASSAGE            
BURMESTER 03        Sampler (CD)

Of these, I've listened to Bruce Cockburn, Ray Brown, Aimee Mann "Lost in Space", The Jaco Pastorius Big Band and a little of the Andy Narell disc.

The Bruce Cockburn disc is interesting on SACD. I have almost all the music on it already on CD, but the SACD versions are livelier, and his voice is more natural. It's particularly interesting to listen to a sampler from the same artist, one can really hear the different recording techniques and venues clearly from song to song.

The Ray Brown Trio "Solar Energy" disc is terrific, with a very live presentation of the trio. Interestingly the piano is brighter on the SACD layer than the red book layer, but I think the piano sound is more realistic on the SACD layer too.

I really dig the Jaco Pastorius Big Band disc, it's a sonic treat and the selections are variable enough to allow for repeated playings when i'm in different moods.

The Aimee Mann disc is also terrific, with good vocal sound, although on first hearing it didn't seem as dynamic as I expected it to be.

The Andy Narell SACD has to be heard to be believed. It's amazing to hear all those steel drums playing at once!

Happy listening!

mca

« Reply #23 on: 18 Apr 2004, 05:57 pm »
Picked up a great CD this weekend titled Iommi. It's Tony Iommi paired up with vocalists like Henry Rollins, Dave Grohl, Ian Astbury, Ozzy and Billy Idol. All the songs are well done, rock hard and actually sound pretty good. The disk was released in 2000, and I never heard anything about it. Pretty good find  :D

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #24 on: 18 Apr 2004, 06:09 pm »
I think Jackyl is still together/together again.  I got a kick out of those guys, too.

I was a bit disappointed my that Iommi CD- it's a bit to "nu-metal" for my tastes.  The post-Ozzy Sabbath stuff is more to my liking.

orthobiz

« Reply #25 on: 19 Apr 2004, 12:21 am »
How I ever missed Matthew Sweet, I'll never know.

Just got "Girlfriend" CD and fired up the first track

"Divine Intervention" 3 times in a row! It's all good!
I'm a sucker for power pop,
whether it be
The Rooks
Richard X Heyman
Posies
etc. etc.

And as a worshipper of Television, how I missed the fact that this is what Richard Lloyd did in the late 80's, early 90's, I'll never know. Although I do know: it was all that Barney the Dinosaur and Raffi I listened to after the birth of my first daughter (now 14).

In fact, she came in to listen to Divine Intervention and like it. I'm taking her to the Shins concert in June...

biz

mca

« Reply #26 on: 19 Apr 2004, 06:06 pm »
Rob,

If you like old Sabbath and Priest, I think you might dig Fireball Ministry. They rock pretty good with no "nu-metal" to be found. I think there are samples on their website. I think their first CD, Ou est la Rock? is the better of the two.

Inscrutable

• http://home.earthlink.net/~inscrutabl/index.html
« Reply #27 on: 20 Apr 2004, 11:16 am »
Found a used record store (well, mostly CD's) while I was in Baltimore this weekend, and got sealed pressings of:

John Coltrane ... Giant Steps
John Lee Hooker ... Boogie Chillen
Drive By Truckers ... Southern Rock Opera

Sa-dono

« Reply #28 on: 24 Apr 2004, 03:02 am »
Latest here, or on the way:

Corrinne May - Corrinne May (Fly Away)
Oxygene8 - Poetica
Chris Colangelo - 2 Trios +1

bob82274

« Reply #29 on: 24 Apr 2004, 04:08 am »
Has anyone been able to get a copy of the new Kill Bill Vol. 2 Soundtrack?
What are your impressions of it?

Bestbuy didn't have it or even advertise it.  But then again they didn't have Vol. 1 either so it may just be that it was more popular than they thought it would be.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #30 on: 24 Apr 2004, 04:11 am »
Just bought Porcupine Tree- In Absentia on DVD-A.  It's pretty unusual, but I really like it a lot.

mojoman

« Reply #31 on: 27 Apr 2004, 09:50 pm »
Yesterday I got a copy of Brubeck's Time Out on SACD.  It's wonderful, great soundstage with each instrument well placed, all the instruments sound like they should. Very nice.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #32 on: 27 Apr 2004, 11:23 pm »
Yeah, I love the Time Out SACD.

SWG255

Tower SACD sale purchases
« Reply #33 on: 28 Apr 2004, 12:56 am »
Tower Records had about 50 SACDs listed on sale, so I picked up a few:

The Police  "Every Breath You Take"
John Coltrane  "A Love Supreme"
Beck  "Sea Change"
Diana Krall  "When I Look in Your Eyes"
Steely Dan  "Gaucho"
Beethoven Sym. Nos 5 & 7  Wiener Philharmonic / Carlos Kleiber
Roger Waters  "The Wall Live in Berlin"
Steve Earle  "Guitar Town"

I put the Police SACD on first, and it is excellent. The clarity of the instrumentation and vocals, especially the backing vocals, is far better than the red book versions of these songs I have on several of the Police red book CDs.

Happy listening to you all!

BeeBop

« Reply #34 on: 2 May 2004, 12:12 am »
In 1970 I was in London; coming out of the Earls Court subway station I saw scrawled on a wall, "I don't know what you Yanks know about rock and roll, but Eric Clapton is God!". Clearly this was someone who had never heard Bo Diddley.

Well Bo Diidley, Muddy Waters, Eric Clapton or Jimmy Page, nobody who has ever heard Jascha Heifetz play, would deny him his rightful place in the violin pantheon.

I just got the XRCD of Tchaikovsky's Violin Cincerto in D - played by Heifetz with Fritz Reiner conducting the the Chicago Symphony. Recorded in 1957 basically at the dawn of stereo recording. This is a landmark performance; the only other I have heard that I enjoyed as much was Kyung Wha Chung's performance at one of the Tchaikovsky competitions (can't remember which, but I believe in the early 90s). I have this on vinyl, bought in the 70s and bought the XRCD more for the fact that it has been the only decent CD of this recording that I have been able to find.

The sound quality is terrific - I am able to hear intonations of the violin that I haven't heard before as well as minor instruments out in the orchestra. Pretty good given the quality of microphones back then I think. Heifetz' playing is extraordinary, as is the performance of Reiner and the Chicago Symphony. The 3rd movement is like a bobsled ride down a mountainside. Reiner and Heifetz capture as well as I have ever heard the challenge response of soloist and orchestra that Tchaikovsky must have heard behind his ears when he was writing this piece.

Highly recommended for any classical music fans out there. Right up there with "Kind of Blue" and "Blonde on Blonde", if you are looking for equivalents. I am saving my nickels to next buy the Van Cliburn performance of Tchaikovsky's 1st Piano concerto, again with Reiner and the Chicago Symphony. Made the same year that Van Cliburn won the Tchaikovsky competition playing that same piece. Another milestone recording.

I have some beefs about XRCD, not the least of which being that you are paying $30 and with the Heifetz recording all you are getting is 30 minutes worth of music. They are not exactly generous with the content, but then this is time capsule stuff, and it is, after all, a very special moment in time.

JoshK

« Reply #35 on: 2 May 2004, 01:18 am »
Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Fever to Tell   Quite good, kinda modern chick punk with an avangarde indie feel.  

Electric Six - Fire   This is the coolest rock electronica/dance music!  Way different but it'll get you moving.

Guster - Keep it Together   A friend of mine is good friends with a band member so I picked it up.  A little too main stream, middle of the road rock music.  Having said that they do have some country feel with a twang instrument, think it might be a bango.

duff138

« Reply #36 on: 2 May 2004, 04:13 am »
Quote from: JoshK
Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Fever to Tell   Quite good, kinda modern chick punk with an avangarde indie feel.  

Electric Six - Fire   This is the coolest rock electronica/dance music!  Way different but it'll get you moving.

Guster - Keep it Together   A friend of mine is good friends with a band member so I picked it up.  A little too main stream, middle of the road rock music.  Having said that they do have some country feel with a twang instrument, think it might be a bango.

yeah yeah yeahs are a great band.  my brother knows the band well.  he turned me onto them a few years back.  they are apparently a band you should see live.

duff138

« Reply #37 on: 2 May 2004, 04:15 am »
latest purchases:

Thorr's Hammer
Dust : 2 in 1 CD dust and hart attack
Blue Cheer: vincebus eruptum

Tonto Yoder

« Reply #38 on: 2 May 2004, 10:28 am »
Quote from: JoshK
Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Fever to Tell   Quite good, kinda modern chick punk with an avantgarde indie feel.  

FWIW,  Yeah Yeah Yeahs put out some EP's/CD-single stuff too
http://www.insound.com/annex/search.cfm?query=yeah+yeah+yeahs&submit.x=23&submit.y=11

The "Maps" CD has tracks not found on "Fever"  but from the same time period I think.  The CD has the video of "Maps" for your computer.
Also available on red vinyl 10".

SWG255

Where do you buy your XRCDs?
« Reply #39 on: 2 May 2004, 03:24 pm »
Beebop, where do you buy your XRCDs? I assume if you're picking them up one at a time you are getting them locally, is that so? I'd sure hate to be nickel-and-dimed to death over single disc shipping costs on top of the already high prices for these things.

I'm thinking about picking up several of these discs, including the two you mentioned, the  "Also Sprach Zarathrustra" conducted by Reiner, and several of the jazz offerings.

Quote from: BeeBop
Just got the XRCD of Tchaikovsky's Violin Cincerto in D - played by Jascha Heifetz with Fritz Reiner conducting the the Chicago Symphony. Recorded in 1957 basically at the dawn of stereo recording. This is a landmark performance; the only other I have heard that I enjoyed as much was Kyung Wha Chung's performance at one of the Tchaikovsky competitions (can't remember which). I first got this on vinyl back in the 70s and bought the XRCD more for the fact that it has been the only decent CD of this recording  ...