Live Music on your calendar?

dB Cooper

Live Music on your calendar?
« on: 19 Mar 2018, 02:35 am »
We all derive great enjoyment from music at home and that's why we are so devoted to getting as much 'fi' as we can eke out of our playback systems.

But there's still no substitute for Live.

Just signed up to see the Rhythm Future Quartet a week from tonight. In case you aren't familiar with them, Here's a link to one of their YouTube videos. Really looking forward to this show! These guys are amazing!

What live music are you going to/ have been to/ want others to know about?

Saturn94

Re: Live Music on your calendar?
« Reply #1 on: 19 Mar 2018, 02:55 am »
You’re right, there’s no substitute for live (well, at least some genres to my ear ;) ).

We’re fortunate to have an excellent symphony orchestra and chorus in our area.  We’ve got tickets to see a couple of upcoming performances; Music of John Williams and Carmina Burana. :D

dB Cooper

« Reply #2 on: 19 Mar 2018, 03:38 am »
I love Carmina Burana. Who will you be seeing perform it?

A lot of Pop artists are basically lip-syncers, so I think I might know what you mean.

MONKEYWICKEDMONKEY

« Reply #3 on: 28 Mar 2018, 04:11 pm »
I have tickets to see Peter Hook and the Light. Its a bucket list show for me and I'm quite excited.

For those who don't know Peter Hook was the bass player for Joy Division and New Order. As he is no longer with NO he takes his band and plays entire Joy Division and NO albums live.

The show I'm seeing is Joy Division's Substance (singles collection) and also New Order's Substance (also a singles collection).

Psyched doesn't really capture the mood right now....

Mudslide

« Reply #4 on: 28 Mar 2018, 06:23 pm »
We're soon to see that aged, 81 year old, cancer and stroke survivor with heart disease miracle of a country rocker, Charlie Daniels.

ctviggen

« Reply #5 on: 28 Mar 2018, 09:44 pm »
Does this include any music?  We went to see Les Miserables at the local high school, and it was truly unbelievable.  Everything, the singing, the sets, the acting, the costumes...everything.  I couldn't believe that level of talent exists at a high school.  I actually cried at the end -- it was that good. 

Blackmore

« Reply #6 on: 29 Mar 2018, 01:00 am »
I just performed with the Ambassadors of Harmony at the Cathedral Basilica in St. Louis.  I listened to 150 men singing in a huge reverberant space and it was glorious.  I just played on one number so it was more of a concert attendance than a gig. Awesome sounds from this group.

Airborn

« Reply #7 on: 2 Apr 2018, 07:35 am »
Going to see David Byrne on his American Utopia tour on April 18th at the 2,000 seat Smith Center in Las Vegas!  A twelve-piece band will join David on stage for a choreographed concert that he has called "the most ambitious show I've done since the shows that were filmed for Stop Making Sense."

GregC

« Reply #8 on: 2 Apr 2018, 07:20 pm »
Shelby Lynne at the Sunset Center in Carmel on 4/20/18.  Awesome venue, cannot wait.

KBro

« Reply #9 on: 16 Apr 2018, 04:56 am »
a bit futuristic.....The Blasters at My Father's Place ( Bellmore,LI ) Aug. 14th..........McCoy Tyner possibly.....My Father's Place
( Roslyn,LI )  also in August.....not sure exact date. Maybe not music, but will be at US Open golf at Shinnecock  for 3rd round and as excited as if I was going to a show.........

Saturn94

« Reply #10 on: 21 Apr 2018, 10:03 pm »
I love Carmina Burana. Who will you be seeing perform it?

A lot of Pop artists are basically lip-syncers, so I think I might know what you mean.

Sorry for the very late response......

Virginia Symphony and Chorus.

Both performances were wonderful!