Flamenco Flamenco

neekomax

Flamenco Flamenco
« on: 20 Feb 2018, 09:54 pm »
Strong recommendation for Carlos Saura's 2010 film "Flamenco Flamanco". It's on Netflix.

It is simply constructed film: A series of staged Flamenco numbers which include tremendous and beautiful musicianship, dance, and singing. Subtitles are crucial for the non-Spanish speaker, as the songs are tableaux that work with movement, story, tone, and rhythm all at once.

The richness of this musical and artistic heritage is frankly stunning. Visually, at times forceful, at times tender or playful. Musically, the sheer virtuosity of the interpretation of these pieces is, well, shocking. If you like guitar playing especially. And yet, there's piano, handclaps, other percussion (hammer on an anvil? Yep. In a duet with a singer), and incredible singing. Even the dancers themselves play the foot tap/stomp marvelously.   

The sound is very, very good. I'm watching in stereo with my new Nuforce AVP-18 processor, so I don't know how the multichannel experience is. But if it's anywhere as good as the stereo mix, should be a treat. Turn it up!

Just a heads up from a fellow music lover.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Re: Flamenco Flamenco
« Reply #1 on: 20 Feb 2018, 09:57 pm »
His "Carmen" is a fantastic study of flamenco as well.  I'll put this one on my que.   :thumb: