Mary Margaret O'Hara

jimdgoulding

Mary Margaret O'Hara
« on: 12 Sep 2009, 12:55 am »
An unusual artist from your neck of the woods with a sublime instrument for a voice.  Recently got turned on to her and bought "Miss America".  Any you guys seen her perform?  Own a copy of that? 
« Last Edit: 22 Sep 2009, 02:11 am by jimdgoulding »

T-Dogg

Re: Mary Margaret O'Hara
« Reply #1 on: 12 May 2011, 08:51 pm »
Hi Jim,

I got turned on to Mary Margaret O'Hara a few years back. I know she lives in the west end of Toronto, and she rarely performs live, and when she does it's usually to back up another musician. She will occasionally do a few songs at a show with multiple artists.

About two months ago, my friend let me know that she was playing a solo show in the city. To be honest, it's one of her first solo shows in a good few years I would say. Unfortunately I was out of town, or I would have been there for sure!

She is very well known among musicians here, and she sang some backup on Justin Rutledge's last album. I know she has a rabid following in the UK, and I forget which UK magazine it was, but they rated "Miss America" as one of the top ten albums ever (!). She is a tremendous talent, but I believe she has mental health issues which can impact her ability to work.

I really love that album, it is very unique and her voice is classic Irish awesomeness.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #2 on: 12 May 2011, 11:49 pm »
She is one of the most original vocal artists ever, I imagine.  Equal parts eclectic, bell canto, improvisor, performance artist, and with intense passion.  I think I understand why she has a cult following.  Thanks for chiming in and welcome.   

T-Dogg

« Reply #3 on: 13 May 2011, 03:23 am »
Thanks Jim,

She is a great talent, and her album is terrific. It would be nice if she'd record more. Actually- if you ever want to catch her live, there is one time you're almost guaranteed to find her. She has played shows on every St. Patrick's Day pretty reliably for a number of years. Here's a flickr photostream of this year's event. A friend of mine was there and said it was pretty awesome.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dawnone/sets/72157626172149993/with/5538799414/