Sad news for Buell enthusiasts

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
Sad news for Buell enthusiasts
« on: 20 Apr 2015, 12:03 am »

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Sad news for Buell enthusiasts
« Reply #1 on: 20 Apr 2015, 12:20 am »
126 unemployed. (

Folsom

« Reply #2 on: 20 Apr 2015, 12:31 am »
Probably getting ready for the trans-atlantic free trade or whatever that thing is...

RDavidson

« Reply #3 on: 20 Apr 2015, 02:22 am »
Had Buell been able to continue the marketing momentum started at HD, they'd have fared much better. I think they lost too much steam during the period right after HD dropped them. That's too bad. But, smart, innovative people always have their gears turning. Sometimes these people just need to be paired with someone who knows how to make a business of it (ala Steve Wozniak and Steve Jobs). I'm sure this isn't the last we'll hear of Buell.

lowtech

« Reply #4 on: 20 Apr 2015, 04:57 am »
Difficult to sell $19k low tech sport bikes bikes when your competition is S1000RR, YZF-R1, etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7V4kMSXKn9g

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #5 on: 20 Apr 2015, 11:16 am »
I believe they were around $15K in 2015 and I wouldn't say they were low tech.
My 96 S2 and 98 S1 are low tech with hydraulic lifters and a carb but that's part of the appeal.
It's a tough business to be in and there's also something weird going on: the bikes weren't moving, Hero said that they wanted to own 100% of EBR, the company was $20 million in the hole, Erik said that an anticipated source of funding didn't come through and then he says it's better to declare Chapter 28 bankruptcy and he thinks that something better will come out of it all.
An internal combustion soap opera in the making, perhaps.

mcgsxr

« Reply #6 on: 20 Apr 2015, 04:19 pm »
Sounds like the beginning of an interesting IP battle.

Eric had some phenomenal ideas, no doubt he can find his feet after this, once the lawyers get their pound of flesh...

lowtech

« Reply #7 on: 20 Apr 2015, 04:56 pm »
"After a six year hiatus, the US returned in an arms race with Erik Buell Racing Superbike1190RX ($ 18.995). 1190 is a dead platform Buell 1125R evolution suddenlyclosed by the parent company, Harley-Davidson. RX is based on the EBR is limited edition and $ 46,495 wrapped in carbon fiber RS, with only a few hardware backup technique, and most importantly, more favorable price."

http://motorreviews2015.com/ebr/2014-ebr-1190rx-motor-reviews-test-drives-specification-and-price-2015.html/attachment/2014-ebr-1190rx-new-release

Still, sad to see them go (again).  Hopefully they will return in some form once they reemerge from bankruptcy proceedings.