Coming Soon: SWL 9.0 Anniversary Edition Preamp

modwright

Coming Soon: SWL 9.0 Anniversary Edition Preamp
« on: 11 Nov 2015, 04:47 pm »
We are pleased to announce the new SWL 9.0 Anniversary Edition preamp.

Release Date: End of year!

Target Price: < $3K.

Design: 5687 tube based single-ended tube line stage with all-tube design, choke regulated supply, Home Theater Bypass and integral headphone amp.

Fit and Finish: Similar to original SWL 9.0. Steel enclosure (heavy GA, non-resonant), 3/8" AL faceplate. Updated face plate design to match existing MWI product line, with engraved lettering.

Parts: Carbon film resistors, MWI signal capacitors

I chose the SWL 9.0SE to introduce as an Anniversary Edition product, because it was the first product of our own design.  Named after my son, Spencer Wright (9.0lb at birth), the first SWL 9.0SE preamps were built 12 years ago.  The Anniversary Edition celebrates our 16 years in business.

The entire circuit of the Anniversary Edition has been re-thought and re-designed.  The 5687 tube is the same, but the power supply has been redesigned as well as the tube stage, with all-tube circuit design and choke regulated supply.  The result is a more organic and natural presentation.  Extremely high bandwidth, low distortion and very low noise.

The SWL 9.0 Anniversary Edition preamp will mark a breakthrough in performance and value, in the same way that our original SWL 9.0SE did, 12 years ago.

More information to come!

Thanks,

Dan W.
« Last Edit: 8 May 2019, 07:14 pm by modwright »

jimbones

Re: Coming Soon: SWL 9.0 Anniversary Edition Preamp
« Reply #1 on: 12 Nov 2015, 01:13 pm »
Congratulations and thanks for sharing your personal experiences and how the equipment was named. Nice. As a suggestion it would be great if you could include a thread that does a compare/contrast of like equipment in your offerings. For example I own an LS100, how does the SWL 9.0 SE differ sonically from the LS100 (features aside). Thanks for putting out such wonderful products, I love my MWI.

modwright

« Reply #2 on: 16 Nov 2015, 11:16 pm »
Hi, I will reply with regards to sonic differences, features aside.

The LS 100 with its 6SN7 tube as basis of design is intentionally a bit on the tubey side.  Not extremely so, but not entirely neutral.  The 6SN7 tube has a 'fat tone' that adds body and weight to the music.  The circuit design also has very low distortion and extremely good bandwidth.

The SWL 9.0SE (original) was designed around the 5687 tube, which is a very neutral tube that is faster and more detailed sounding than the 6SN7.  The original SWL 9.0SE used SS components in the tube circuit (as does the LS 100), and the result was fast and revealing while still maintaining the 3D quality of tubes.  Most people loved the original SWL 9.0SE, but some wanted a bit more warmth.

The SWL 9.0 Anniversary Edition uses the same 5687 tube, but in an all-tube circuit and improved power supply. The result is a delicate balance of the resolution and speed of the original 9.0SE and a touch more tube warmth, due to the lack of SS components in the circuit.  The Anniversary Edition is a matter of 'less is more' in terms of circuit topology.  Based on what I have learned in my recent foray into tube amp design as well as the Elyse DAC and PH 150 phono designs, there is a delicate balance achieved that is both musical and accurate.

To sum up, the SWL 9.0 Anniversary Edition is more neutral and resolving than the LS 100.  If you prefer more tube warmth, the LS 100 is a great choice.  If you like tubes, but want a neutral presentation, the 9.0 Anniversary Edition is the way to go.

Ultimately, the 9.0 Anniversary Edition is meant to be the ideal 'Entry Level' product into MWI.  It will pair exceptionally well with tube or SS amps and with the built in headphone amp, will also drive modern headphones (except Stax type pure electrostats) well.

Thanks,

Dan W.

jimbones

« Reply #3 on: 20 Nov 2015, 02:09 pm »
Thanks for the info Dan. Guest are very impressed with my setup which includes your electronics. Thanks again.

modwright

« Reply #4 on: 20 Nov 2015, 05:33 pm »
Thanks, I spent the day yesterday building and testing two different headphone amp circuits (both MOSFET based) that will go into the SWL 9.0 Anniversary Edition preamp.

I also compared the Ann. Edition to the SWL 9.0SE the other day, and confirmed that the new design is more organic, live and musical.  The power supply and analog circuitry are completely redesigned and the result is much more musical.  it will be a FANTASTIC value at < $3K with a high quality integral headphone amp.

The HP amp will be essentially a hybrid design.  It takes the preamp tube output and feeds a MOSFET unity gain current amplifier.  This is the approach that I prefer in my main system: I.e. tube preamp and SS amp to drive my main speakers.

Thanks,

Dan

larbo53

« Reply #5 on: 25 Nov 2015, 05:06 pm »
Hi Dan,

I currently own an SWLP 9.0SE. Any chance an Anniversary Edition will be offered with a phono section? If not what are my options?

Thanks,
Lloyd

modwright

« Reply #6 on: 25 Nov 2015, 05:37 pm »
Hi Lloyd, I am glad that you asked.  I am looking at the option of offering a phono card for the SWL 9.0 Ann Ed. preamp.  It will not be the same as the phono stage in the SWLP however.  it will be a relatively inexpensive upgrade option, user installable ($350 maybe), that will be best suited to MM and high output MC carts.

The SWLP was actually a melding of our SWL and SWP desigsn, when they were in production.  It was also $5K back then and featured an outboard supply.

My intent is to offer a good phono card for the SWL 9.0 Ann Ed. that will suit those well who listen to vinyl on modest to mid-level vinyl rigs without low output MC carts.

I plan to later also design a standalone phono in the same price range as the SWL 9.0 Ann Ed, that will suit low output MC carts, but it will be a standalone phono stage for more serious vinyl enthusiasts.  We do have our Reference PH 150 phono stage and it is fantastic.  It is at a very different price-point however, at $7900.

Thanks,

Dan Wright

LCKYLUCIANO

« Reply #7 on: 15 Jan 2016, 07:00 pm »
Dan,

Any pictures? About what time is going to be available? Separate power supply? I am already saving! I used to owned the SWLP 9.0SE and I really missed that preamp. Thanks

modwright

« Reply #8 on: 15 Jan 2016, 07:18 pm »
Hi, I am waiting on the chassis and the final PCBs.  Power supply will be internal.  I will post photos as soon as I have final production units ready.

It is looking like late Feb at this point.

It will have a great headphone amp and optional phono stage that I am still finalizing (likely SS).

The power supply, tube circuit and faceplate have all been re-designed and updated.  We have added a great headphone amp fed from the tube phono stage and with optional phono, it will be quite versatile.  All RCA, no XLR connections in or out.

Retail = $2900 (extra for phono option).

Thanks,

Dan

blownrx7

« Reply #9 on: 17 Jan 2016, 11:38 pm »
We are pleased to announce the new SWL 9.0 Anniversary Edition preamp.

Parts: Carbon film resistors, MWI signal capacitors...

So I was always confused about the use of carbon film resistors.  I thought carbon film resistors were what was used in the old console radio days and that metal film were more reliable, more stable and had better electrical characteristics.
Can anyone shed some light on the positive attributes of carbon film vs. metal film vs. wire wound vs. anything else???

TIA

modwright

« Reply #10 on: 18 Jan 2016, 12:11 am »
Carbon composition resistors are common in older radios, it is true.

I use Japanese Takman carbon film resistors that have excellent sonic characteristics and are quite reliable.

Anyone else may chime in here.

Dan

LCKYLUCIANO

« Reply #11 on: 23 Feb 2016, 01:51 am »
Hi Dan,

Any updates?

Thanks

Edgar

modwright

« Reply #12 on: 23 Feb 2016, 03:02 am »
Actually yes!  I am expecting final enclosures and faceplates within a week.  The last revision to final PCBs about to be issued.  Final proto tests and sounds great!

Headphone amp and great line stage, with optional SS phono card.  Everything that was great about the original and much more!

I will post photos as soon as I have all of the final pieces.

Thanks,

Dan

LCKYLUCIANO

« Reply #13 on: 23 Feb 2016, 03:25 am »
Thank you!!!

modwright

« Reply #14 on: 17 Mar 2016, 06:40 pm »
Face plates and final PCBs in house.  First units are being built and tested now.

Dan

mraudio

« Reply #15 on: 22 Mar 2016, 07:35 pm »
Dan...could you PLEASE post a few pictures?  This, I think, is going to be my new preamp.  I LOVED the original SWL9.0SE Signature that I owned, but sold it to buy the LS100.

I really think I liked the SWL 9.0SE Signature better.  The LS100 is great, but I've always felt that the SWL 9.0SE Signature had a "magic" that I am missing.

modwright

« Reply #16 on: 23 Mar 2016, 01:01 am »
I should be able to post photos tomorrow. We are building the first units now!

Thanks,

Dan

cheech

« Reply #17 on: 21 Apr 2016, 01:11 pm »
Anything further - pictures, availability, etc?

modwright

« Reply #18 on: 21 Apr 2016, 04:43 pm »
Sorry Guys!  Busy time here!

The unit was debuted at Axpona with Ryan 630 speakers and a KWA 150SE driven by a SWL 9.0 Anniversary Edition.

We had FANTASTIC feedback and the $5K Ryan 630 speakers are simply phenomenal!  I plan to continue to market our products with Ryan speakers because the synergy was simply ideal!

We shipped five units yesterday and will ship two more this week.  We have at least twelve more on backorder and will soon have shipped the first short run of 25 pieces. I am attaching two photos from the show and some others pulled from FB and Enjoy The Music.

(PHOTO BY ENJOY THE MUSIC)

If you are interested in ordering, please contact your nearest dealer or us RIGHT AWAY! It is a huge hit and I am very excited about it!

Thanks,

Dan W.

Jonathon Janusz

« Reply #19 on: 10 Dec 2016, 03:45 pm »
Hi, Dan!

Have you considered or would it be possible to have a DAC as an option for this preamp?  Maybe an either/or configuration between with phono or with DAC, something similar to the DAC unit in the KWI200?

Also, is black an option on the faceplate and knobs or is it silver only?

Thanks!