HAL's Amazingly Incredible Nearly Prototype Music Server

HAL

Re: HAL's Amazingly Incredible Nearly Prototype Music Server
« Reply #120 on: 9 Sep 2012, 01:17 pm »
Had a great time at the MAAC gathering at Phil A's place yesterday!  Always fun listening to other folks systems and talking about audio and music. 

woodsyi has a MS-1 for audition with his USB DAC.  Looking forward to his comments!

HAL

« Reply #121 on: 11 Sep 2012, 05:35 pm »
This thread is now over a year old!  Time flies when you are having fun! :)

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #122 on: 11 Sep 2012, 06:00 pm »
Looking forward to reading Phil's and Rim's comments about the MS-1. Those guys have been around a while and have a bit of credibility.
I've also got a new cable coming.  I'm eager to compare to what I'm using. 

Scott

Phil A

« Reply #123 on: 11 Sep 2012, 07:06 pm »
Looking forward to reading Phil's and Rim's comments about the MS-1. Those guys have been around a while and have a bit of credibility.
I've also got a new cable coming.  I'm eager to compare to what I'm using. 

Scott

The server is really nice, compact, easy to use and sounds great.  It's HAL's fault I have a big project of digitizing my music faster than expected.  That's to be expected as remember HAL9000 from 2001 - always causing some additional work to do with a computer. :green:

HAL

« Reply #124 on: 12 Sep 2012, 12:15 am »
Another fellow AC'er is picking up an MS-1, drive and M2Tech Evo setup this weekend for evaluation.   All packed and ready to go!   :D

pansixt

« Reply #125 on: 12 Sep 2012, 12:31 am »
This thread is now over a year old!  Time flies when you are having fun! :)

Rich,
Thanks for the demo on the MS-1 and related gear.
I can re-read some of this thread with a much greater appreciation now that I have seen and heard this great, musical package.
Look forward to seeing you again.
James

HAL

« Reply #126 on: 12 Sep 2012, 12:46 am »
James,
Good to see you as well!

Hopefully Rich will be having a gathering at his place in the future as he discussed.  Another chance for MAAC to have some audio fun! 

HAL

« Reply #127 on: 14 Sep 2012, 08:17 pm »
Here is another possible color combination for the MS-1 Music Server PC. 

Looking for feedback to see if there is any interest.   

Phil A

« Reply #128 on: 15 Sep 2012, 02:24 am »
James,
Good to see you as well!

Hopefully Rich will be having a gathering at his place in the future as he discussed.  Another chance for MAAC to have some audio fun!

I'm going there tomorrow afternoon to analyze his room (just call me the audiophile shrink :green:) and he has a Rel sub he has not been able to dial in.  Since I've sent up many and have several prototypes of upgrades Rel cables that I don't need I'm bringing those over.  I say him last night at Woodsyi's.  He's shoot for the end of October (after RMAF) and he indicated he would post on the mid-Atlantic Audio Circle giving a choice of two weekends.

HAL

« Reply #129 on: 15 Sep 2012, 03:04 am »
Sounds like a fun time! 

Hopefully woodsyi is having fun with his MS-1 setup.  Last I talked to him, he had it playing music with his DAC.

HAL

« Reply #130 on: 15 Sep 2012, 03:12 pm »
Just gave Nick his MS-1/M2Tech Evo setup for his system.   

Looking forward to his listening impressions.   :D

HAL

« Reply #131 on: 18 Sep 2012, 12:57 am »
Here is a picture of Forest Dweller's audio setup with the MS-1 installed. 

He did the WASAPI Event Driven update and is enjoying the improved sound quality.

HAL

« Reply #132 on: 20 Sep 2012, 12:44 am »
Thanks to Dusty, I will shortly have a Channel Islands Audio Transient MKII USB DAC on the way.  This has both the Audio Alchemy and PS Audio style I2S Bus outputs. 

Will be trying this with the MS-1 to my DIY DAC and the Perpetual Technologies P-1A/P-3A and Monolithic Sound P-3b power supply.   Will compare it to the M2Tech Evo USB to I2S Bus interface once I get a special cable built.

Looking forward to some listening time! :)

Forest Dweller

« Reply #133 on: 1 Oct 2012, 08:53 pm »
Greetings to all!

Rich, the word, “installed” you used pretty much cracked me up. To be clear, the MS-1 is not something that is merely installed; but when combined with the HAL –symbiotically implemented DAC and interface system, changed the way I ever felt digital audio could be reproduced.

Yikes. I can’t believe it’s been a year since my review of the MS-1 (post 53) and here we are, headed back to Denver for another great time. Looking so very much forward to seeing the great folks I had the privilege and pleasure from last year’s fun (as well as every RMAF before that!), as well as meeting-up with many more I haven’t had the pleasure to meet yet.

The MS-1 still blows me away every time I fire it up (which is when I’m not at my 60+ hr/wk day gig or working on 24 acres of forestland). As I shared with Rich, the new Foobar WASAPI Event Driven update absolutely made a noticeable audible difference. I was previously using Kernal Streaming to the M2Tech Evo. I’m still running my entire library from an eSATA drive, and am constantly burning new material to it in .wav format. This system has run flawlessly since Day One.

Incidentally, those 4 diffusion panels in the pic are designed by Dave Elledge and built by Greg Rael @ PI Audio. They are the AQD1's. A good friend and awesome “build anything” contractor, Butch Blier, built the frames based on Dave’s recommendations and specs for proper sizing for the room and placement. Each framed panel unit is made up of about 1.5 standard 4'x2' panels.  They came out very nicely indeed; and are extremely effective. My current project in motion is major room acoustic treatment (finally). In addition to the diffusers, there are 4 GIK Soffit Traps in the corners and much more absorption treatments from Bryan and diffusion from Dave and Greg to come. No small investment, to say the least; but worth every penny. Will post pics here, PI Audio and GIK’s sites when done. -like “done” is a real concept in this “hobby”  :P

See all of you there; and yes, Scott- I’m bringing the Red Savina Habanero and Bhut Jolokia mix. Maybe even a bit hotter dose than last year (for Danny   8)  )

Chris
« Last Edit: 2 Oct 2012, 09:01 pm by Forest Dweller »

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #134 on: 1 Oct 2012, 09:28 pm »
Chris,

How the heck are you?

Time flies, doesn't it? :)

HAL

« Reply #135 on: 1 Oct 2012, 09:43 pm »
Chris,
Thanks again for the great write-up!   

Hugh was essential to Chris getting his LS-9's.  They look great!   :drool:

Waiting to hear from woodsyi how his MS-1 listening trials are going.

The PI Audio Group Discreet USB cable arrived today to try with the M2Tech Evo USB interface.

Letting everyone know that I have parts in-house to build three more MS-1 Music Servers before long lead parts would need to be ordered.  The delay can be up to 2 months, so I have to see if there is enough interest to make more parts.  One is fully built.  The other two can be built up in two weeks and shipped. 

Please post in the thread or PM me if you are interested in a unit.

Forest Dweller

« Reply #136 on: 2 Oct 2012, 01:10 am »
Hey Hugh my Friend,

Busier with some stuff I’d rather not be!   :)

We’re dead-smack in the middle of yet another acquisition (5 more locations this year- so far). Getting everything in motion as much as possible, so I can get on the plane and forget about it all when I’m wheels-down in DEN.

Still keeping-up on the Emergency Communications Support role for the County Sheriff’s Search and Rescue Team which continues to be very rewarding.

I’m looking so forward to hanging-out and catching-up with my brother and sister audioholics!  And yeah- can’t believe it’s been a year. Sheesh!

The drop-dead gorgeous LS-9’s are sounding even more phenomenal as the room is better acoustically treated. As Rich mentioned and I will reiterate, my sincerest thanks to you for turning a nightmare into an aural (and visual) pleasure which has exceeded my listening experiences with LS-9’s I’ve heard previously elsewhere. These are just perfect. Also my thanks to Sean Ries; the Skiing Ninja himself, for the Ninja Master X-Overs and loading the -9’s up. WOW. 

See ya in a few days; and we can talk about what you’ve been up to.

In keeping with this thread though, if HAL has the ability to build-out 3 more MS-1’s… If anyone out there is even halfway considering one; seriously, GO FOR IT. You will not be disappointed. The updated dead-quiet fan and the beautiful custom wood top just add the final touch to a great performer in a small and elegant package. Perfect if WAF is an issue  8)  With USB and eSATA ports, you can do a LOT with the MS-1. Rich can guide you in the direction of interfaces and DACs if you’re not already set for that. If you have a DAC with an I2S bus, you’ll be even more thrilled.

That’s really been the joy of beta testing the MS-1: trying different tweaks, after hours of listening, so I could really get as close to an a/b test as possible. Going from S/PDIF to I2S, using the WASAPI drivers, using a battery powered interface and DAC, and now the WASAPI Event Driven update ALL make a difference. It just keeps getting better.

…which also means I’m getting far less stuff done around the house since I’m glued to the sweet-spot with the added luxury of a wireless remote application for Foobar which works on my laptop and Samsung Galaxy SIII   :thumb:
Chris

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #137 on: 2 Oct 2012, 02:14 am »
I'm curious.  Chris and I are using LS9's, Rich is using the Super V's (lots of GR stuff here) What are the rest of the MS-1 owners using for speakers? 

Scott

HAL

« Reply #138 on: 2 Oct 2012, 02:41 am »
Here is the list of speakers that I know:

You, Chris and stu have LS-9's.

ChrisS has some I sold him, but don't remember  :scratch:

LarryB has horn loaded speakers.

HAL has Super-V's.

woodsyi has VMPS RM40's.

I do not know what Nick has for speakers.

One MS-1 is being used as a HTPC tied directly to an HDTV with built in speakers.

One MS-1 is being used as an LP ripping computer with an M-Audio Audiophile UBS digital audio interface, unknown system.
« Last Edit: 2 Oct 2012, 11:53 am by HAL »

Phil A