Electra tube connector installation instructions.

drmike

Re: Electra tube connector installation instructions.
« Reply #20 on: 5 Sep 2011, 12:32 am »
do you still sell these? how much$?
thanks,
drmike

Danny Richie

« Reply #21 on: 5 Sep 2011, 04:15 am »
Yep, I have them in stock. Call or e-mail me for special pricing.

drmike

« Reply #22 on: 5 Sep 2011, 04:05 pm »
how much for 2 pairs?
thanks,
michael stevener

Danny Richie

« Reply #23 on: 5 Sep 2011, 04:18 pm »
See PM.

lostthumb

« Reply #24 on: 1 Jan 2012, 12:59 am »
Hello Danny,
I am interested in purchasing a set of 2 pairs of these connectors.

Do you have them in stock?

Thanks.

Danny Richie

« Reply #25 on: 1 Jan 2012, 01:46 am »
Hello Danny,
I am interested in purchasing a set of 2 pairs of these connectors.

Do you have them in stock?

Thanks.

Sure, I have some of them in stock. Just call to order.

rpf

« Reply #26 on: 1 Jan 2012, 05:14 am »
Just a note that I purchased a couple of pairs from Danny a few months ago and they arrived very quickly.

They were also easily installed and sound great!

Rob

mykyll2727

« Reply #27 on: 1 Oct 2012, 08:59 pm »
Danny, I saw no metioned of it but I could've missed it. Up to what size/gauge speaker wire will the studs accept?

Danny Richie

« Reply #28 on: 1 Oct 2012, 09:25 pm »
Danny, I saw no metioned of it but I could've missed it. Up to what size/gauge speaker wire will the studs accept?

I know it will take 12 gauge. I will have to check to see if it will take 10. 

mykyll2727

« Reply #29 on: 1 Oct 2012, 09:47 pm »
Thanks. The speaker cables I use are 10ga to the fronts and 11ga to the center and surrounds. That's why I asked.

Danny Richie

« Reply #30 on: 1 Oct 2012, 10:11 pm »
Thanks. The speaker cables I use are 10ga to the fronts and 11ga to the center and surrounds. That's why I asked.

Those must be some massive power hungry speakers with big voice coil drivers and big amps.

mykyll2727

« Reply #31 on: 1 Oct 2012, 10:32 pm »
Big amps yes. :wink: 525wX6 @8 ohms. Speakers not so much. Got the cables on various auctions over the years. They just happen to be that size. :roll:

Skiman

« Reply #32 on: 9 Oct 2012, 09:16 pm »
I recently installed the male connectors on 10 AWG speaker wire, but it's a little tricky. The internal wall of the male tube has a small groove aboout half way down. When inserting 10 gauge wire, the strand ends will hang up on the groove as it's being inserted. When this happens, don't force it, or the wire strands will bend and it will not slide past. When feeling this resistance, twist slightly until the ends are free. I rounded the strand ends by trimming the corners, to help it slide past the groove. Also, make sure that the bare wire strands are as straight as possible to begin with.

This should not be an issue with smaller diameter wire.

mykyll2727

« Reply #33 on: 9 Oct 2012, 11:45 pm »
Thanks! I appreciate the info. So taper the ends a bit, go slow and easy and if it hangs up just kinda gently screw the cable in.

Skiman

« Reply #34 on: 10 Oct 2012, 04:15 am »
Thanks! I appreciate the info. So taper the ends a bit, go slow and easy and if it hangs up just kinda gently screw the cable in.

Yep. After messing up once, I practiced on a leftover wire section I had. If one little strand gets caught in the groove, don't force it, or it will bend around and then the all the strands will not go through. Keep the strands straight. Remember to get the strands all the way to the end of the tube, as that is the benefit of the design.

Initially, I didn't think it was possible for 10 AWG to fit. But that was the wire I had, threaded through and behind several walls back to my equipment rack. My new LS center speaker came with these connectors, and after initially failing to get them on, I gave up and reattached my bannana plugs. A more careful second try got the tube connectors on, and I am so happy I did. The sonic improvement over bannana plugs was just amazing. 

mykyll2727

« Reply #35 on: 10 Oct 2012, 08:43 am »
Yep. After messing up once, I practiced on a leftover wire section I had. If one little strand gets caught in the groove, don't force it, or it will bend around and then the all the strands will not go through. Keep the strands straight. Remember to get the strands all the way to the end of the tube, as that is the benefit of the design.

Initially, I didn't think it was possible for 10 AWG to fit. But that was the wire I had, threaded through and behind several walls back to my equipment rack. My new LS center speaker came with these connectors, and after initially failing to get them on, I gave up and reattached my bannana plugs. A more careful second try got the tube connectors on, and I am so happy I did. The sonic improvement over bannana plugs was just amazing.

Excellent. Thanks for the info! I was concerned that I might have to rely on bananas because the cable would be too thick. That made me question if it'd be worth the upgrade. I definitely plan on giving them a go now.

jeffh

« Reply #36 on: 4 Apr 2015, 05:38 pm »
 :thumb: Great directions, Danny.  Thanks for posting.  I just installed these in my LGK 1.0 speakers.

WC

« Reply #37 on: 29 Mar 2018, 08:25 pm »
What is the minimum wall thickness the tube connectors can work with? Amp back panel.

Danny Richie

« Reply #38 on: 29 Mar 2018, 08:53 pm »
What is the minimum wall thickness the tube connectors can work with? Amp back panel.

I just used them in the back of the little Folsom amp. The back plate was thin steal. I slide them through the 7/16" diameter hole and hot glued them in. So far so good.

ebag4

« Reply #39 on: 22 May 2019, 01:59 am »
Off topic question Danny, are you running the Folsom amp off a 12V battery? If so did you compare it to the Folsom power supply?  I have the Folsom power supply but have considered modifying it for battery power.  I seem to recall Folsom stating that you need 19 volts to get the best out of it but I don’t currently have a good 24vdc charging solution.

Best,
Ed