pea

AKSA Gallery - See AC Gallery
« Reply #80 on: 3 Nov 2004, 12:45 am »
Quote from: kyrill
nice work
Looks sturdy

: )

Hey kyrill,

Thanks for the note. Yes, the cases are pretty sturdy and very handsome even if I say so myself  :roll:  I really like the mahogany/pommele sapele combination, very nice to look at. The deep, hand rubbed oil finish invites people to touch them.

These were my third attemp at building a case for the AKSA's. I tried some fancy joinery on the first two sets of cases that didn't turn out so well. So I ended up doing a pretty boring butt joint that isn't all that interesting but got the job done. :rock:

I'm going to spend a little time listening to music and breaking these babies in before I start work on my GK-1R preamp.

Take care -
Bruce

EchiDna

« Reply #81 on: 3 Nov 2004, 02:54 am »
Pea and Lonewolf's entries added into the first page...

Hugh I think you better put in a "lots-of-pics" warning on the thread for dial-up users!

:lol:

AKSA

« Reply #82 on: 3 Nov 2004, 03:57 am »
Many thanks, Glen,

I appreciate this valuable input;  I really don't know how to do half this stuff.....

Cheers,

Hugh

Rom

« Reply #83 on: 3 Nov 2004, 09:06 am »

EchiDna

« Reply #84 on: 3 Nov 2004, 10:49 am »
VERY nice work Rom....

love the details!

I hope mine can live up to your design!

updated the index thread again... you guys are keeping me on my toes at the moment! ;-)

Seano

« Reply #85 on: 3 Nov 2004, 09:51 pm »
Quote from: Rom
My very transparent GK1.

That is by far the most amazing piece of work I have yet seen on any AKSA kit. Great design and a very singular finish. Stunning job. Congratulations.  

The only quibble I have is with the volume knob (I reckon a full metal knob would sit better) and regretably that AKSA sticker (Hugh is well aware of my lack of love for that decal).

jules

« Reply #86 on: 3 Nov 2004, 09:55 pm »
great GK-1 Rom ...

Good balance to the appearance of the amp as a whole unit. Placement of the tubes looks good and in proportion (what are the overall dimensions of the box?). The feet are a creative touch and the wood used in both the knob and sides gives a light feel to the unit in combination with the clear (perspex/lexan?) shape.

congratulations

jules

EchiDna

« Reply #87 on: 3 Nov 2004, 11:33 pm »
Quote from: Seano
Quote from: Rom
My very transparent GK1.

That is by far the most amazing piece of work I have yet seen on any AKSA kit. Great design and a very singular finish. Stunning job. Congratulations.  

The only quibble I have is with the volume knob (I reckon a full metal knob would sit better) and regretably that AKSA sticker (Hugh is well aware of my lack of love for that decal).

Agreed on all counts Seano... say we are still waiting for you to update your gallery with something more than a trashed Landrover!  :lol:

DSK

« Reply #88 on: 4 Nov 2004, 01:12 am »
Quote from: Seano
The only quibble I have is with the volume knob (I reckon a full metal knob would sit better)...

Personally, I believe a matching all-wood knob would look better than an all-metal one. It would tie-in visually with the nice wood side panels. Plus, it could eliminate the potential problem of walking across a wool floor rug or carpet then sending a nasty static tsssstt through the system when you touch the metal volume knob.  :roll:

Seano

« Reply #89 on: 4 Nov 2004, 10:28 pm »
Quote from: EchiDna
Agreed on all counts Seano... say we are still waiting for you to update your gallery with something more than a trashed Landrover!  :lol:

You know.......some people would say that you should only advertise what you are good at........

I'm still trying to actually finish the amp.  I'm in the final stages of construction after more than two and a half years. I've recently acquired one of Hugh's bespoke cases and then changed the fascia, the guts are at this moment in the shed getting the Nirvana Plus bits welded in and so over this weekend I hope to have the amp finally finished.

So photos should be available next week!!! If I remember to steal the office digital camera....

And that's when another box of bits that Hugh takes great delight in calling a GK-1M should also arrive on the doorstep. Yah-bloody-hooo :lol:

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #90 on: 5 Nov 2004, 04:59 am »
Quote from: EchiDna
Pea and Lonewolf's entries added into the first page...

Hugh I think you better put in a "lots-of-pics" warning on the thread for dial-up users!

:lol:
Thank you EchiDna for adding my AKSA pic's (really Carl's photo's...since he's building it for me 8) ). Looks like I'm in good company !!! :D

Rom

« Reply #91 on: 6 Nov 2004, 07:38 pm »
My new additon to the clear collection, still to be completed 55W Nirvana Plus.

Million Thanks to Hugh !!!!!

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=gallery;area=browse;album=442[/img]

enjoy!.

Thanks for all the kind words Jules, EchiDna,DSK Seano and all AKSAphile. The design for GK1 was more of implemetation of the design given by Dayneger but if I were to redo it again I will place the PS at the center to make more symetrical and have the RCA socket on top close to the main board. size of the GK1 was 35x35x11.5 mm.

Cheers,
Rom

kyrill

« Reply #92 on: 6 Nov 2004, 07:53 pm »
Hi Rom

If I look well  you must have had the "kit" a long time before you decide to finish it?

Very clean neat approach. The see thru characteristic will demand a clean hook up wire approach : )

What is yr idea about shielding power amps? I am curious

Rom

« Reply #93 on: 6 Nov 2004, 08:18 pm »
Hi Kyrill,

I do have an idea that will serve for more purpose than just a shield, I'm still working on it, I'm looking at it to see if it will look good. I will post more picture later.

Right now I need to make it more rigid.

I do have more than one kit , basically I have most of the AKSA kit, from the old 55W , TLP, 55WNirvana,GK1 and the new 55W Nirvana Plus.

Cheers
Rom

AKSA

« Reply #94 on: 6 Nov 2004, 10:48 pm »
Guys,

Rom is an artist.  In real life he is a satellite coms technician, and his workshop turns me bright green with envy....  His AKSAs are amongst the best we have seen here, and his skills and technical understanding are superb.  Rom is in fact an Aspen beta tester, we go back more than three years, and he gives me highly valued feedback on new designs.  I greatly appreciate and revere his input, and commend him to you all as an extremely helpful, kind man.

Cheers,

Hugh

jules

« Reply #95 on: 9 Nov 2004, 05:30 am »
Rom,

thanks for the dimensions ... very compact. I've looked at your case a few times since you first posted it. It's the first time I've seen the AKSA tubes set up in a way that doesn't make them look too small. I think that's probably because the case compliments them. I imagine that must be even more pronounced when it's switched on and the valve glow transfers through the case. I'm working on a wood case [for a 55] myself at the moment and the knob is very similar in proportion with a variation on the "wedge" shaped pointer.

Jules

Seano

« Reply #96 on: 9 Nov 2004, 10:06 pm »
Hello all

Finally finished the amp AND got some photos together (so now you can check out something other than a wrecked Land Rover).

The gallery is here http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=gallery;area=browse;album=285

Rod

• http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/~rodneynoble/
« Reply #97 on: 10 Nov 2004, 03:35 am »
Congratulations Seano very nice work - now that that hum is gone it must sound all the sweeter.... I particularly like the way you put a sign of things to come on the last photo - that GK1 is just begging to be built!

One question, is that some sort of line filter up near the main switch?  Is it something else you have done to overcome your supply issues or is it something that comes standard?

Seano

« Reply #98 on: 10 Nov 2004, 05:26 am »
One question, is that some sort of line filter up near the main switch? Is it something else you have done to overcome your supply issues or is it something that comes standard?

No it is not standard. It does overcome some supply issues. But it ain't no line filter......

Anyone who frequents a John R. Turk outlet (an electrical wholesaler in Oz) might see it for what it is.

It's nothing more flash than a 240V distribution block. It was the lowest stress (and mess) way I could think of for getting the active and neutral leads from the switch to the two toroids.  This was a cheap, neat and tidy way of doing the deed. It was carried over from the previous version of the amp and makes fit-up way easier.

jules

« Reply #99 on: 11 Nov 2004, 02:45 am »
Sean,

must be good to have the amp up and running again. Great to see some wood on the case although screen images really don't do grain any sort of justice. How did you find the organoil to use? I'm nearly finished a Huon Pine Aksa 55N+ case (about 75% wood) and I'm considering what to coat it with. I was considering shellac for a while but the design could make it hard to apply in less accesible corners.

What sort of case are you planning for the GK-1M? Will this be the moment for the billet construction redgum number?

I have no idea why the landrover  pics have been checked out over 80 times each but they might be able to rest in peace now with your case taking the attention.

Jules