Truth Pre Amp

bhobba

Truth Pre Amp
« on: 15 Feb 2011, 03:29 am »
Hi Guys

Found a pre amp I think could be a good match for Hugh's amps:
http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/amp/messages/15/152892.html

Input impedance is supposed to be immeasurable and output impedance a couple of ohms and it has a light-speed like volume control so it won't wear. Supposed to be extremely transparent as well. A guy out here in Aus has got one (he is in the process of building NAKSA's as well to drive his ML1 Ultra's) and describes it as better than a Light-speed and a Burson buffer - which considering it is cheaper than both is interesting - of course in a good way.

I am getting one to power my NAKSA when its built so watch out for the impressions of guys out my way.

Thanks
Bill
« Last Edit: 15 Feb 2011, 10:17 am by bhobba »

stvnharr

Re: Truth Pre Amp
« Reply #1 on: 15 Feb 2011, 05:24 am »

http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/am...15/152892.html

Rubbish.
The GK-1 is a fine preamp, and is a true preamp that has an actual gain stage.
If a completely passive unit is desired, then George Stansfield's Lightspeed is ideal.
If something cheap and simple is desired, then just wiring in attenuators on the input to the amp module works well.
« Last Edit: 15 Feb 2011, 07:25 am by stvnharr »

bhobba

« Reply #2 on: 15 Feb 2011, 07:43 am »
Rubbish.  The GK-1 is a fine preamp, and is a true preamp that has an actual gain stage.If a completely passive unit is desired, then George Stansfield's Lightspeed is ideal. If something cheap and simple is desired, then just wiring in attenuators on the input to the amp module works well.

Sorry can't agree with you there.  First I never said anything against the GK-1.  Secondly most amps require something like 500mv to reach full output and most sources produce more than that so gain is unnecessary.  And George the maker of the light-speed does not recommend it unless you have a sufficiently low output impedance source and high input impedance amp.  If you don't then you need something like a Burson Buffer.  And people have reported something like a Burson makes a difference anyway.  We will find out just what difference, if any, it does make.

Thanks
Bill

jmc207

« Reply #3 on: 15 Feb 2011, 08:42 am »
Hi Guys

http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/am...15/152892.html

Could you repost the link, this one doesn't seem to work. Thanks.

bhobba

« Reply #4 on: 15 Feb 2011, 10:19 am »
Could you repost the link, this one doesn't seem to work.

Reposted it - should be OK now - don't know what happened.

Thanks
Bill

stvnharr

« Reply #5 on: 15 Feb 2011, 08:38 pm »
Sorry can't agree with you there.
Bill

Glad you got it all figured out.
However, I don't think this is the proper forum for your post. Why do you think anyone on the Aspen forum is interested in your choice of a product?

Edit: Okay, from the Horn Shoppe
« Last Edit: 16 Feb 2011, 06:18 am by stvnharr »

bhobba

« Reply #6 on: 16 Feb 2011, 04:10 am »
Well for one thing it is not a bottle-head product.

The main reason for posting is at least two people including myself are getting it for the express purpose of powering a NAKSA.  I simply thought people would be interested the pairing - thats all.

Thanks
Bill

AKSA

« Reply #7 on: 16 Feb 2011, 10:37 am »
Fair call, Bill, thanks for the link.

Steve, the GK1 is indeed a fine preamp, BUT, I'm only offering entry level these days, and many would like a full featured preamp.

Part of the issue has been the hum, which you seem to have solved, so perhaps I should reinstate it!!

It does have some lovely qualities, the GK1, and I do have plenty of boards....

Cheers,

Hugh

mamba315

« Reply #8 on: 24 Feb 2011, 09:34 am »
The main reason for posting is at least two people including myself are getting it for the express purpose of powering a NAKSA.  I simply thought people would be interested the pairing - thats all.

Thanks
Bill

Hey Bill,
  I've been interested in the Truth preamp for some time now.  Let us know what you think of it.  Liking my Tranquility SE, another piece you're familiar with.  It's output impedance is pretty low (50 ohms) which seems to help with amp matching.  What is the imput impedance on the NAKSA 100? 

AKSA

« Reply #9 on: 24 Feb 2011, 09:45 am »
MAMBA,

This is a particularly attractive snake.....  if you like snakes, of course, and many in Oz do not as most here are unfortunately poisonous and very lively in hot weather!

The NAKSA 100 has a sensitivity of 992mVrms for full 100W output into 8R.  Gain is 29dB, the THX standard.

Cheers,

Hugh

Jens

« Reply #10 on: 24 Feb 2011, 03:04 pm »
Mamba,

I believe the input impedance is around 30K, same as for the NAKSA 70. Hugh gave you all the other details, except the input impedance :lol:

Cheers,

Jens

AKSA

« Reply #11 on: 24 Feb 2011, 08:59 pm »
Thanks Jens,

Ah, my apologies to you and to Mamba, I must be going bananas!!

Correct, 30K for both NAKSAs.  All this strange weather we are having in Oz........

Cheers,

Hugh

mamba315

« Reply #12 on: 26 Feb 2011, 01:38 am »
Us too on the strange weather.  Some places along the California coast are expecting snow.

Thanks for the info!