Leben 300XS and Bob's Speakers Load For Small Valve Amps

bhobba

Hi Guys

Its pretty quiet around here so I thought I would post about an amp I recently purchased that really impressed me - the Leben 300XS
http://www.soundlabsgroup.com.au/p/Leben-CS300XS/Leben+CS-300XS+Integrated+Amp

Tried it on some 86db and 89db speakers and considering it is only 15W went quite loud.  I was a bit surprised by this but know others have had similar experiences:
http://www.ellisaudio.com/wattsratings.htm

It was a very organic and articulate amp especially on the midrange.  In fact it was one of the best amps I had ever heard.  I asked the maker of the speakers about the volume - why such a small amp played so loud.  He reckoned it had to do with how easy a load it was - hard loads try to draw current from the amp it can't supply.  I did notice the bass was just a little shy of 1.2KW amps we tried but that was about it.  I was told that is the lack of bass grip the large amp had.

Anyway interested to hear what others have experienced and maybe Bob can chime in with how easy a load his speakers are.  Looking forward to trying the Leben on my Sririt SE's when I get them.

Thanks
Bill

Charles Xavier

Re: Leben 300XS and Bob's Speakers Load For Small Valve Amps
« Reply #1 on: 26 Jan 2011, 11:15 pm »
When are your Spirit SE's suppose to arrive ? Can't wait to hear your impressions!

bhobba

Re: Leben 300XS and Bob's Speakers Load For Small Valve Amps
« Reply #2 on: 27 Jan 2011, 10:53 pm »
When are your Spirit SE's suppose to arrive ? Can't wait to hear your impressions!

Bob said a couple weeks to finish them and then they have to be sent out to me in Australia which will take another few weeks then they have to negotiate our customs and who knows how long that will take -although some other stuff I ordered overseas customs let straight through so I could be lucky.  I would say one to two months.

Thanks
Bill