« Reply #21 on: 1 Jan 2011, 02:11 am »
Hugh,

You've got mail  :thumb:

Colin

AKSA

Re: Maya CB280 Initial Listening Impressions
« Reply #22 on: 1 Jan 2011, 03:07 am »
Thanks Chris,

Very moving piece, beautifully conducted by the Master, much appreciated.

Here's the brilliant oboist, the young woman, this shot during the flute solo:

Cheers,

Hugh

hybride

« Reply #23 on: 3 Jan 2011, 01:46 pm »
Kieran,
Thank you for your impressions on the new Maya amp. I can't wait to read how it will perform on the VsonicII. What i also would like to know is how close it comes to the sonic character a single ended tube amp's like a 300B. It's a big promise that the Maya has no global feedback like most SE tube amp's. I now use a LF100 amp driving VsonicII's, which goes in the direction to SE sound, but it can be better. The Maya could properly be a step forward. Do you have an impression on this?   

Afterimage

« Reply #24 on: 3 Jan 2011, 07:25 pm »
Hi Hybride.  Sorry man, I don't have any experiences with single ended tube amps.  I have had tube integrateds like  the Cayin ATK88 (I put Tung Sol 6650s in though).  I'm done with tube amps, to much of a pain.  I use a tube preamp though.  So, when are you expecting your Maya?  My prediction is you will love it with your speakers.  I mean the evidence is there as there was a standing ovation at that event with the an ealier version of the Maya paired with the V-Sonics.  I guess the room acoustics were not theat great either.

hybride

« Reply #25 on: 3 Jan 2011, 09:10 pm »
The new Maya must be something special. i heard many amp's at home in the past, tube amps (PP&SE), class A, AB amps to modern Class D like Hypex and Tripath. The LF100 was my first Aspen amp and i loved it right from the start. I heard a NAKSA 70 too. While it was in some aspects better then the LF100, i preferred the sonic cream of the LF100. The Maya could maybe a next step up. I am also done with tube amps because of weak power, distortions and noise/hum issues, but a good SE tube amp is, as far as i experienced, still unbeaten in the mid/trebles area. Maybe a solid state amp will never reach that level? who knows.. Low or no global feedback is an important key i learned. Phase correctness is a major issue. I play with a ECdesign TDA1541DAC module, which is designed to be 100% phase correct. The sonic result is stunning. The philosophy of the Maya seems in line with this principle. The damping factor can be an issue, but as far that i understand bass control is good with the Maya?                     

AKSA

« Reply #26 on: 3 Jan 2011, 09:19 pm »
Thanks Kieran,

You raise good points....  tube amps are a PITA, and I know one guy had a very expensive AR with 8 x 6550 tubes.  He was a professional photographer, very meticulous fellow, and finally he became so fed up with buying matched tubes and replacing them every couple of years for best performance that he sold it, disillusioned, and bought a Bel Canto.  That lasted about a month, don't actually know what he has now, but the frustrations he experienced were palpable.

Hans,

The SE tube sound is unique, and to me at least, a benchmark I cannot ignore.  But I have to say that the only amp I build that comes close to the SE sound is the NAKSA series, and even the NAKSA is very low distortion.  The Maya is different again.  It has a purity, and natural presentation, which is subtly different to most other amps.  It is the only amp I've ever heard which promotes intimacy and realism without actually coloring the music like a tube amp.  There is no obvious coloration at all with the Maya - Kieran, do you agree with this? - it simply presents the music as it really is, and engages with authenticity and intimacy rather than with coloration and bloom.  The evidence is the breakout of toe tapping and head bobbing that I experienced whenever I play the Maya.  That said, I in no way criticize the single ended triode;  I love 'em, particularly on simpler music.  But they are not the optimal choice on complex orchestral, trance or rock music.

These sorts of arguments go on forever, and are a matter of taste.  You don't see people arguing the merits of gorganzola over camembert, but you do see people arguing over tubes v. SS and it's silly.  It is taste, and preference, pure and simple, and the fact the market for so many amp types and styles persists after fifty year is clear evidence that not everyone likes the same thing.

I hear comparatives like 'better sound' uttered again and again.  There are instances where it's true, particularly in the development of a specific topology as its refined over time, but mostly it's just 'different'.  And there is no denying that rigorous engineering people will generally prefer a 'low distortion sound', without much regard for GEB notions of 'how it sounds', simply because it abides by their idea of a straight wire with gain.  That's fine too!!

I gotta rush, will return to this dialogue later today......  off to see Steve in Ballarat!

Cheers,

Hugh

hybride

« Reply #27 on: 3 Jan 2011, 11:27 pm »
My wife likes blue cheese, brrr, i run away only from it's smell!  :o  But serious, like you mention amp's sonic character and capabilities are distinctive by there design topology and level of finetuning. (N)AKSA, LF(55/100), Soraya or MAYA are all unique performers in there own way. Level of feedback, power, damping and level of H2,H3 harmonic distortion each indicates certain properties. imo it's useful to understand these aspects for customers. Is it wrong thinking that the new Maya will become most close to single ended topology because of it's zero global feedback?             

Afterimage

« Reply #28 on: 4 Jan 2011, 12:05 am »
Yes Hugh, there is no colorations and indeed the amp is a real toe tapper.  You do it without even realizing it because it is so consistent.  Meaning all music is involving, it is not just set aside for random special circumstances.   I don't think colorations are bad though, sometimes that is darn enjoyable too.

Afterimage

« Reply #29 on: 4 Jan 2011, 12:08 am »
I also want to add I have tried the amp on three separate speakers and it performs brilliantly with all three different designs.  I'm bringing a 4rth speaker in a couple of weeks to try.  Yeah, I am one of those crazy audiophiles.  :D

Also,  I already told Hugh this, but I disconnected my sub.  It is simply not needed.  My main speakers, the Tidal Piano's sound better without the sub with the Maya hooked up.