Vapor Cirrus Loudspeakers - Flying Above the Clouds

Downsize

• Owner Downsize Audio Cables
    • Downsize Audio Cables
Re: Vapor Cirrus Loudspeakers - Flying Above the Clouds
« Reply #40 on: 11 Jan 2011, 04:19 pm »
It has been brought to my attention that my review comes off as that of a new owner, fanboy, who may not have very much experience in the world of high end audio .... and that my review may be coming from someone who may be enamoured by his first true high end speaker ....  So I will give you a little background on myself, and my experience ...

I started in the world of high end audio in 1982. I started as one of the earliest pioneers in the world of car audio competition in the IASCA scene. I built several early IASCA National winning cars with David George, and became an IASCA judge in 1985. I spent 15 years on and off judging car audio competitions.
       As far as home audio, I became an audio salesman in 1985. I sold Luxman, Klipsch, Polk, Coda, McCintosh, and Adcom when they were all considered part of the high end world.  I worked in numerous high end audio sales jobs off and on until 1996, when I purchased my own high end audio store, and owned the store until selling it in early 2001.  But let me go back a bit.  I also owned a Pro Audio sound company for 5 years from 1990 to 1995, and I was a recording engineer with my own studio. My company designed, sold, and installed professional sound systems in everything from studios, churches, and professional sports venues.
        In my high end home audio store we had a very liberal open door policy to industry reps ... If they wanted us to consider carrying their product line, they were welcome to bring their products in for evaluation. This policy was PARAMOUNT to learning what was good, great, and not worth considering. In the five years I owned the store, we had hunderds of brands in our store .... This allowed for a knowledge of the products that most stores could not begin to match .... and our customers recognized that. It also allowed us to become masters of system synergy matching.  What does this mean to anyone reading this ?   As the owner, I was able to take home ANYTHING I wanted and hear it in my system. This means I probably had over 50 pairs of speakers in my home over the years.  Here is a short list of some of the better speakers I had :

JM Lab Mini Utopia, Vandersteen Model 5, Alon Model V, B&W Matrix 801 Series 3, B&W Nautilus 802, B&W Nautilus 805, Linn Keltiks Active, Ariel Acoustics Model 10t, Energy Veritas v2.8, Coincident Technologies Total Victory IV , PSB Stratus Gold i, and probably 30 more pairs.

There is simply no way I can talk about each pair, and how it compares to the Cirrus speakers i so do love ...  But I will try and give you some thoughts ...  Not even one of the speakers above can be compared to the Cirrus in the higs ... The RAAL is just so much better in EVERY way than even the best dome tweeters, that it MUST be heard to be be fully believed and understood. It's dynamics and naturalness are so life like and wonderful, that NO dome tweeter can come close.

The bass of the Cirrus takes the very best of the speakers above ... speed, impact, warmth, resolution, and tone, and combines them into the perfect package. Not bloated, and not lean. Warm, yet resolving.

So here is my offer to EVERYONE reading this post :  If you have a specific question about how the Cirrus compares to any aspect of any of the speakers I listed above ... just ask and I will try and answer it.

As far as my current system, I have heard the Cirrus on three different amplifiers :  The McCormack DNA-500 modded, a pair of BEL MK1001MKIV mono-blocks, and a heavily modded D-Sonic amp. I have listened to both CD, SACD, and FLAC files from my computer .... all into my modded Eastern Electric Minimax Tube DAC, which sounds better than my Sony SCD-1, my Accuphase DP-700, and my Lexicon RT-20 disc players. All of my cables are what I fully believe are the world's best : the Downsize Audio Handcrafted audio cables made from a proprietary alloy of 97% UPOCC silver and 3% pure gold. What this tells you is that I have listened to the Cirrus on  both a very musical and dynamic amplifier, as well as a VERY detailed and almost anylitical pair of amps. I have listened on an infinitely musical disc player, a VERY dynamic disc player, and my VERY neutral and lifelike DAC.
My current room is the one my Nursing company has rented for me, and measures a smallish 19x15 feet with 8 ft ceilings, which opens into the dining area which adds on another 10 feet the entire 19 ft length of the living room. The room is acoustically treated with panels. I plan on hosting an open audition day for the Cirrus speakers in the next 6 weeks or so, and will be setting them up in a huge room that is probably 25 feet x 35 feet with tall ceilings.  ANYONE is welcomed to attend this meet in harrisonburg, VA.
      So now you have a better idea of my system, and my background. Feel free to ask questions, and I will try my best to answer.

Cheers

Downsize

• Downsize Audio Cables
« Reply #41 on: 11 Jan 2011, 05:57 pm »
My latest post was in response to probably 5 t o 7 different people who had contacted me and requested more info.  Hopefully everyone can understand this simple thing.

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #42 on: 11 Jan 2011, 06:07 pm »
Looks like you've been around the block and back!

I'm happy you have found something you believe you can live with for the long haul. It must be satisfying to get off the merry go round.

A nice synopsis  :thumb:

Anand.

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #43 on: 12 Jan 2011, 02:12 am »
Which amp do you personally prefer with the computer sourced EE Dac? No preamp? Thanks.

Cheers,
Robin

Downsize

• Downsize Audio Cables
« Reply #44 on: 12 Jan 2011, 02:54 am »
Which amp do you personally prefer with the computer sourced EE Dac? No preamp? Thanks.

Cheers,
Robin

I prefer the McCormack just slightly over the BEL amps.  I do not need a preamp, as the laptop works just fine for that. I have WAY more gain than I can use, and with the remote control I have for the laptop, it is just so nice  :thumb:

Downsize

• Downsize Audio Cables
« Reply #45 on: 2 Feb 2011, 01:10 am »
Hello all ... The Cirrus loudspeakers are the most amazing speakers I have heard in the past 10 years. On April 2nd I will be hosting an audio meet to showcase them. The meet will be held in my apartment's clubhouse in Harrisonburg, Virgina from 8:00 am to 6:00 pm, with a break for lunch.  I will provide soft drinks and water, as well as morning doughnuts.

If you don't already know about these awesome speakers, see this review thread :  http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=89390.0

And see the Vapor website here :  http://www.vaporsound.com/#all

I am needing a list of who will be planning to attend, and I will be updating the list along the way.

Please see the original thread here : http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=90918.0

Afterimage

« Reply #46 on: 9 Feb 2011, 02:53 am »
It looks like 6 Moons will be reviewing these in the near future.  That should be interesting. 

Downsize

• Downsize Audio Cables
« Reply #47 on: 14 Feb 2011, 02:50 am »
So I decided to tear down my wonderful Cirrus speakers to re-wire them with my own UPOCC copper foil speaker wire, and change out the standard WBT binding posts for my new Nextgen silver ones .... Here is some photos of the job, as well as some awe inspiring shots of the best cabinet construction in the business .... Gotta love the full  2- 1/8" thick front baffles !

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #48 on: 15 Feb 2011, 05:02 pm »
Looks pretty solid, thanks for the pics.

Bob

p.s. By the way, I hope your Achilles Tendentious is feeling better.  :wink:

Downsize

• Downsize Audio Cables
« Reply #49 on: 17 Feb 2011, 01:09 pm »
Looks pretty solid, thanks for the pics.

Bob

p.s. By the way, I hope your Achilles Tendentious is feeling better.  :wink:

LOL .... Do you have any idea just how close I was to sending you a private message, asking you how in the world you would know about my medical issue ???   LOL

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #50 on: 17 Feb 2011, 01:28 pm »
I'm not a detective, but I play one on TV.  :wink:

SlushPuppy

« Reply #51 on: 9 Aug 2011, 04:05 am »
I don't like resurrecting old threads, but what happened to the 6 Moons review of these speakers? It was in the "Coming up next from these writers" section for months - and now it's gone with no review :scratch:

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #52 on: 9 Aug 2011, 04:21 am »
I don't like resurrecting old threads, but what happened to the 6 Moons review of these speakers? It was in the "Coming up next from these writers" section for months - and now it's gone with no review :scratch:

Note directly above the very first headline that states: Current Previews.

SlushPuppy

« Reply #53 on: 9 Aug 2011, 04:34 am »
Note directly above the very first headline that states: Current Previews.

Good eyes! I bet I looked at that page for a good 5 minutes and completely missed that - LOL!

Thanks!

Srajan Ebaen

• Industry Participant
« Reply #54 on: 9 Aug 2011, 10:30 am »
We've been waiting excessively long for the promised review pair and Ryan kinda dropped the ball on keeping in touch and updating us. That's why I cancelled the review. As it turns out, a review pair has been started and is claimed to be available in about three weeks. That would put delivery to Glen into September. Ryan however wants the pair back for October's RMAF. That's unrealistic. The decision now is in Ryan's hands whether to give my guy his allocated 3 months to do a review or not. Clearly this is a one-man operation. Production of one lonely not-paid-for pair has already taken half a year because paying customers had to come first says Ryan. That's understandable and practical. But it doesn't allow the man to make good on his review commitment in anywhere near the time initially indicated nor does it excuse his lack of communication throughout the wait. So we'll see. The review might still happen. But I've left it to Glen Wagenknecht and it will only be resurrected in the 'coming next' gallery when Glen confirms actual receipt. No more mere promises...

JohnR

« Reply #55 on: 9 Aug 2011, 10:45 am »
Does 6moons require that items sent in for review be available for purchase by the reviewer at a discount?

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #56 on: 9 Aug 2011, 11:21 am »
So much for keeping the speaker construction proprietary.  I'm sure Ryan will be pleased that it's shared with everyone.   :duh:

Srajan Ebaen

• Industry Participant
« Reply #57 on: 9 Aug 2011, 11:31 am »
JohnR: That's a very strange question. The answer is, absolutely not. What we require is dispatch of a review loaner; pickup of said loaner on a call tag when the review has published; and reimbursement of any customs/VAT fees the reviewer might have incurred to take receipt. That's it as to requirements.

JohnR

« Reply #58 on: 9 Aug 2011, 11:36 am »
It doesn't seem to me like a strange question. Doesn't it say somewhere on your site that the only recompense a writer receives for their work is the ability to purchase reviewed items at a discount?

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #59 on: 9 Aug 2011, 11:47 am »
It doesn't seem to me like a strange question. Doesn't it say somewhere on your site that the only recompense a writer receives for their work is the ability to purchase reviewed items at a discount?

You mean here?

Our only material recompense is access to audio components at what is called industry accommodation pricing (usually at dealer cost).

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/why/why.html