New 100W NAKSA.....

AKSA

New 100W NAKSA.....
« on: 16 Nov 2010, 09:43 am »
It's here, folks, have a gander!!

Sounds sensational, I'm very, very pleased.  A NAKSA 70 on steroids, no less.

One channel to one heatsink, with integrated power supply:

Cheers,

Hugh

hybride

Re: New 100W NAKSA.....
« Reply #1 on: 16 Nov 2010, 10:44 am »
Congratulations Hugh.

Big compliments for the design and buildquality. Great picture too. It looks really marvellous. 

This might be a serious sonic competitor for your highly praised Lifeforce amp?

I would love to hear the Naksa100! Who knows...

AKSA

« Reply #2 on: 16 Nov 2010, 10:48 am »
Thanks Hans - the picture is taken in bright sunlight from the right angle with my old Sony T200, and reworked with PhotoShop to look like something you'd want to own!!   :wink: 

Perhaps I should send you one, and if you like it, you buy it......  and if not, you pass it on to someone else??    :lol:

Bey,

Hugh

Jens

« Reply #3 on: 16 Nov 2010, 04:41 pm »
Thanks Hans - the picture is taken in bright sunlight from the right angle with my old Sony T200, and reworked with PhotoShop to look like something you'd want to own!!   :wink: 

Perhaps I should send you one, and if you like it, you buy it......  and if not, you pass it on to someone else??    :lol:

Bey,

Hugh

Well, you can send me two right away  :green:  :drool:

Cheers,

Jens

AKSA

« Reply #4 on: 16 Nov 2010, 09:14 pm »
Jens,

You are on, will get cracking.  I have a pair ordered from Slovenia, too, and one locally here in Melbourne, so I'm going to be a busy boy.  After taking my daughter Soraya to the airport this morning, and spending some time on the Maya this afternoon, I am commencing construction of six of these NAKSA 100s.

The one photographed has now been playing for six hours, and idling overnight.  All measurements are immaculate, I'm delighted with the robustness, too, and the sound quality is astonishing.

Thank you for your interest, your confidence, and your order!

Hugh

bhobba

« Reply #5 on: 18 Nov 2010, 01:47 am »
Hi Hugh and All

Great to hear everything is going full boar ahead with the 100W version.  Just a quick query, the answer I am pretty sure of anyway, can they be built as mono-blocks and paced right next to the loudspeakers?  As I said I pretty sure they can but just wanted to check.

Thanks
Bill

Jens

« Reply #6 on: 18 Nov 2010, 08:13 am »
Hi Hugh and All

Great to hear everything is going full boar ahead with the 100W version.  Just a quick query, the answer I am pretty sure of anyway, can they be built as mono-blocks and paced right next to the loudspeakers?  As I said I pretty sure they can but just wanted to check.

Thanks
Bill

Hi Bill,

Yes, absolutely! These are mono modules right from the start.

What you are describing is the way I'm doing it. I will be using one 300-350 VA tranny per (mono) module, which Hugh assures me will be just fine  :wink:

Cheers,

Jens

AKSA

« Reply #7 on: 18 Nov 2010, 08:37 pm »
Hey Bill,

Just what Jens said, OK?    :lol:

Thanks for the post...... 

Cheers,

Hugh

Seano

« Reply #8 on: 18 Nov 2010, 09:36 pm »
So what Jens and Hugh are saying suggests that if one happens to have two AKSA 100N+ already fitted into a bespoke Aspen case then one could continue to use the cases and transformers and simply substitute two appropriately milled & drilled heatsinks wearing new NAKSA 100 modules....

Yes? No? What?

Another query......if one ever gets his GK-1 going again.....would that help or hinder? Or should I discuss a trade/swap/cash exchange with the NAKSA dealer to exchange a set of GK-1M boards with Platinum upgrade & phono input parts, a pair of 'slightly used' AKSA 100N+ modules and a PS to suit for a pair of NAKSA 100 modules and passive attenuator...

AKSA

« Reply #9 on: 18 Nov 2010, 10:48 pm »
Hi Sean,

Always a pleasure!!

So what Jens and Hugh are saying suggests that if one happens to have two AKSA 100N+ already fitted into a bespoke Aspen case then one could continue to use the cases and transformers and simply substitute two appropriately milled & drilled heatsinks wearing new NAKSA 100 modules....

Yes? No? What?

Yes, although you would have to remove not just the AKSA modules but also the power supply pcb, since the NAKSA power supplies are integrated with the amp itself.  If you have a hacksaw and access to a milling machine (or even an angle grinder and finish off with wet/dry sandpaper on a pane of glass!) then yes, you could use your existing heatsinks, so it's surely doable, Sean.

Another query......if one ever gets his GK-1 going again.....would that help or hinder? Or should I discuss a trade/swap/cash exchange with the NAKSA dealer to exchange a set of GK-1M boards with Platinum upgrade & phono input parts, a pair of 'slightly used' AKSA 100N+ modules and a PS to suit for a pair of NAKSA 100 modules and passive attenuator..

A GK1 works well with the NAKSA 100, and still offers sonic advantage.  Not as much advantage as with the AKSA and the LF, but definitely worthwhile. 

As for exchange, I cannot make any promises, as I must work very hard to sell my present stock in troubled times, let alone obsolete, used models.  Sorry, but a commercial reality.....

Cheers,

Hugh

Hogg

« Reply #10 on: 19 Nov 2010, 03:23 am »
Hi Hugh,

What's the price for new monoblocs?

Jim

AKSA

« Reply #11 on: 19 Nov 2010, 04:59 am »
Hi Jim,

$AUD1420 for two single channels, around the same in USD.

Add 10% GST for Oz;  shipping is extra.

These are fully assembled, tested, and g'teed.

Thanks for the inquiry,

Hugh

Tliner

« Reply #12 on: 19 Nov 2010, 11:39 am »
Hi All,

I have been fortunate enough to have heard Hugh's new Naksa 100 when connected to the VSonic speakers MK11. The Naksa 100 has raised the bar even higher and the music is absouletly stunning now that Seas woofers are being used. Well done Hugh.

Cheers,

Laurie

guest1632

« Reply #13 on: 19 Nov 2010, 11:59 am »
Hey Bill,

Just what Jens said, OK?    :lol:

Thanks for the post...... 

Cheers,

Hugh

Hi Hugh,

So just wondering, could I use say a 500VA or say a 600VA transformer and build both of these as one amp? Do you think I'd be losing much?

Ray

AKSA

« Reply #14 on: 19 Nov 2010, 10:00 pm »
Hi Ray,

Yes, a single 425VA, or 500VA, or even 600VA would be fine for the NAKSA 100;  dual trafos seem not required for this amp, it makes no difference to the imaging performance, which came as a surprise.

The amp was designed as an austerity model for tough times, and is fully $260 cheaper than the LF100 which it will eventually replace.  The fact it performs with such verve has been a very pleasant outcome, and just goes to show that despite decades of engineering experience in our history and modern simulation tools there is no substitute for taking a gamble and building it.  Despite what is bandied about there is no way you can tell how an amp will sound from the schematic;  it will give you an idea, perhaps, if you are very experienced, but the acuity of human hearing is such that no instrumentation can rival it and this makes all amp assessment not just a process of measurement, but a careful session of listening.

Laurie, you must have email up again?

Laurie has mentioned the VSonics Mark II.  As many here know, since the Peerless 830884 dropped off the horizon with the demise of Tymphany, we have been obliged to redevelop the speaker.  Laurie chose the SEAS Prestige series CA22RNY, another 8" paper cone driver, for it's high force factor, low Qts, 92dB sensitivity, and very light cone (17.9g!!).  This has proven most successful.  The good news is that for existing owners of the VSonics, the conversion to an even better speaker is a walk in the park, and I will contact them separately.

Last night I played the new amp and speakers to a good friend, a chemical engineer of long experience in audio who has owned both the AKSA and the GK1 for some years.

Rick was stunned.  We played a variety of test tracks, from Oremi, Dali Stereo CD, NY Rave 2006, and a female vocalist he knows very well, and he felt that the realism, the immediacy, the musicality, the slam, and the silence between notes was the best he has ever heard in his life.  This from a guy who always closes his eyes whilst listening, for whom musicality, imaging and realism are the most important aspects.  For myself, I think I agree with Rick, but I'm particularly proud of the layout, it really looks the ducks guts!!

Cheers,

Hugh

gaetan8888

« Reply #15 on: 19 Nov 2010, 11:24 pm »
Hello Hugh

Again, with the Naksa 100, you proved that the best amps in the market are not alway from the "big" names of the audio industry.

Congratulation.

Bye

Gaetan

AKSA

« Reply #16 on: 20 Nov 2010, 03:49 am »
Merci, Gaetan,

Praise from you is very nice, appreciated.

Hugh

guest1632

« Reply #17 on: 20 Nov 2010, 03:13 pm »
Hi Ray,

Yes, a single 425VA, or 500VA, or even 600VA would be fine for the NAKSA 100;  dual trafos seem not required for this amp, it makes no difference to the imaging performance, which came as a surprise.

Hi Hugh,

ok, so somewheres between a 425 to 600VA transformer is fine. Would I be gaining anything by using a bigger one, the 425VA versus the 600VA? Sure, there are theoretical gains by using a bigger transformer, but in reality there is a substantial cost between the two. 

How big is each unit? Inches please? i presume soldering is in order here. So it's the AC, the RCA and Speakers to wire up, and of course some way to turn the amp on or off. Or are you providing connectors you just solder to them and go? Since I can't see your pics, then is the heatsinks included too?

What voltage or range of voltages and current rating for the Trafo  for the two secondaries should I be looking at? 
i'd figure another couple hundred bucks US for Trafo case and various wire and connectors would finish this out.

Speaking of wiring, are you suggesting two or three prongs for the AC mains?Are you using a captive cord, or IEC type?

I think that rounds it out for questions.

Ray Bronk

AKSA

« Reply #18 on: 21 Nov 2010, 01:47 am »
Hi Ray,

You keep me on my toes, but I love the careful thought behind your curiosity, thanks for the questions.....  forces me to order my thinking for my website copy, too, a very good thing!  You might appreciate that as the designer, and dominated by the design issues, I'm not so focussed on the issues of installing the completed module into a suitable enclosure, and the minutia of the connections.

ok, so somewheres between a 425 to 600VA transformer is fine. Would I be gaining anything by using a bigger one, the 425VA versus the 600VA? Sure, there are theoretical gains by using a bigger transformer, but in reality there is a substantial cost between the two.

As a general rule, I like to use a transformer of at least twice the rating of the max rms power of the amp into 8R.  This is only sensible from a headroom POV.  This places the minimum rating at 400VA, so 425VA would be optimal.  I suggested the higher ratings of 500VA and 600VA because toroidal trafos are made in common values of 500VA and 625VA and DIYers are well known for overbuilding.  I will confess to early auditions using a single 300VA, and with my 8R VSonics I can say that this was entirely adequate.  However, I really would prefer a minimum trafo size of 400VA, with 425VA the nearest preferred rating that is commonly available.

How big is each unit? Inches please? i presume soldering is in order here. So it's the AC, the RCA and Speakers to wire up, and of course some way to turn the amp on or off. Or are you providing connectors you just solder to them and go? Since I can't see your pics, then is the heatsinks included too?

Each unit is 300mm (11.95") long (heatsink length), 75mm (2.95") tall (fin height), and 105mm deep (4 1/8") deep (top of filter caps to tip of fin).

The only soldering necessary is input hot/cold (pcb pins) and the flying lead connections to the binding posts for the speaker.  Speaker connections to the board are high quality pcb spade connectors, all supplied with the module.  Connectors are also supplied for the transformer secondary connections to the module (four, two for each secondary).  All connectors are crimped, not soldered.  It really couldn't be simpler.  The mains connection from transformer to IEC socket, including switch, are NOT supplied.  These too are simple but will require soldering for maximum safety and reliability.

Two heatsinks are supplied with two single channel modules, one for each amp channel.  Each high quality, cast alloy sink weighs 1.105Kgs, or just under 2.5 lbs each, 5 lbs plus the weight of the modules.

What voltage or range of voltages and current rating for the Trafo  for the two secondaries should I be looking at?  I'd figure another couple hundred bucks US for Trafo case and various wire and connectors would finish this out.

Speaking of wiring, are you suggesting two or three prongs for the AC mains? Are you using a captive cord, or IEC type?

I think that rounds it out for questions.

For a 425VA toroid, at the 35Vac secondaries specified, this corresponds to a 6A rating for each secondary.  For 500VA, this increases to 7.15A rating.  Your estimate of around $200 is about right!

I suggest a three prong IEC, so that the case can be power earthed.  The modules both have provision for a chassis earth as well, recommend ultra-safe practice.  The chassis earth is also a press, pcb spade connection, with no soldering.

Thanks for the questions, Ray, very appropriate and carefully thought through!

Cheers,

Hugh
« Last Edit: 21 Nov 2010, 05:04 am by AKSA »

Jens

« Reply #19 on: 23 Nov 2010, 08:54 am »
So - will an evening with the NAKSA 100 be arranged at the Melbourne Audio Club?

This seems to be a very discerning forum, and it is always good to hear comments from these guys ...  :wink:

Cheers,

Jens