Welcome to the Jazz Circle

lcrim

Welcome to the Jazz Circle
« on: 27 Oct 2010, 12:31 pm »
This forum is open to all general jazz discussions.  Have you bought a new jazz recording or been to a great jazz concert recently that you want to discuss or tell others about?  Are you trying to find the answer to a jazz related question?  Jazz related opinion polls are also welcome.
Please join us here to share your passion for jazz.  The only request is to keep it directed towards the music not each other.

martyo

Re: Welcome to the Jazz Circle
« Reply #1 on: 27 Oct 2010, 12:43 pm »
Thanks for having a Jazz Circle. I will be hanging here often. Most of my "new" music lately is older jazz that I am now just discovering. My latest new/old that I can't seem to get enough of is "Jim Halls' Concierto". (CTI) :lol:

mdfoy

« Reply #2 on: 27 Oct 2010, 12:51 pm »
We finally have a home 8). Recently,  I have been into just about anything from the ECM label, new and old.  The stuff coming out of Europe is very good.  Bobo Stenson is in heavy rotation now. Has anyone checked out any of the music coming out of Japan (East Wind)?  We had the pleasure of listening to Brad Mehldau and Joshua Redman at a small venue near us (Longwood Gardens Conservatory), and are checking out the Geri Allen Quartet at the Kimmel Center next month. Most excellent live jazz opportunities in the 'Philly area.

etcarroll

• SE PA. by way of Boston, MA.
« Reply #3 on: 27 Oct 2010, 12:57 pm »
Thanks for having a Jazz Circle. I will be hanging here often. Most of my "new" music lately is older jazz that I am now just discovering. My latest new/old that I can't seem to get enough of is "Jim Halls' Concierto". (CTI) :lol:

I'll second that. dicovering 50's jazz at the youthfull age of 53. Really getting into Coltrane, been using Blue Train the past week to demo tubed preamps.

rockadanny

« Reply #4 on: 27 Oct 2010, 02:07 pm »
Cool! My favorite genre. :drool:

Latest video I picked up is very good, though recording quality sucks on many tracks, "Anita O'Day - Life of a Jazz Singer". Excellent music and interesting story.  :thumb:

martyo

« Reply #5 on: 27 Oct 2010, 02:10 pm »
We finally have a home 8). Recently,  I have been into just about anything from the ECM label, new and old.  The stuff coming out of Europe is very good.  Bobo Stenson is in heavy rotation now. Has anyone checked out any of the music coming out of Japan (East Wind)?  We had the pleasure of listening to Brad Mehldau and Joshua Redman at a small venue near us (Longwood Gardens Conservatory), and are checking out the Geri Allen Quartet at the Kimmel Center next month. Most excellent live jazz opportunities in the 'Philly area.

ECM! Keith Jarrett is my main man, and lately I've been listening to the John Abercrombie Quartet from a friend. Everything I have heard from ECM is recorded pretty good, some extremely well.

Scottdazzle

« Reply #6 on: 27 Oct 2010, 02:39 pm »
Great idea for a circle! I think I will be a regular here. Best recent concert was Wynton Marsalis leading a 12-piece band playing the "soundtrack" to the new silent film "Louis" (about the early life of Louis Armstrong) at the Strathmore.  Coming soon: Joe Lovano and John Scofield together at the same venue.

AVnerdguy

« Reply #7 on: 27 Oct 2010, 03:47 pm »
Thanks for starting this circle.  :thumb: :thumb:

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #8 on: 27 Oct 2010, 08:42 pm »

....When The Saints Go Marching In....

Good luck with the Jazz Circle Larry...... :beer:

SwedeSound

« Reply #9 on: 27 Oct 2010, 09:02 pm »
YES! Delightful addition to AC. I'll be here a lot, posting a little.

-Jason

Scott F.

« Reply #10 on: 27 Oct 2010, 09:06 pm »
 :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

jimdgoulding

« Reply #11 on: 27 Oct 2010, 09:56 pm »
Listened to a Bobo Stenson album just the other night.  Have lots of ECM vinyl from the 70's and forward. 

Ronm1

• "A Bug!! Naa...thats a feature!
« Reply #12 on: 27 Oct 2010, 10:30 pm »
Nicely done....

Art_Chicago

« Reply #13 on: 28 Oct 2010, 03:15 am »
Great to have one!! I was wondering if it ever appears!
Thanks a lot

jtsnead

« Reply #14 on: 28 Oct 2010, 05:06 am »

I recently picked up this disc on MoFi Sacd, really nice recording and music :thumb:

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #15 on: 28 Oct 2010, 06:08 am »
Cool man  8)  It'll be a pleasure to hang here with you cats. Thanks for the commitment Larry.  :thumb:

Like Jimd got a lot of ECM & CTI vinyl from the 70's-'80's that's awaiting the reinstitution of the old TT.

Am looking forward to everyone's thoughts and recommendations.  Is it an oxymoron to say "Jazz rocks"  ??  or does one say "Jazz jazzes" ?   :scratch:

gray49

« Reply #16 on: 29 Oct 2010, 12:09 am »
Great addition to the site...
Peace...
Stuart

Bugs

« Reply #17 on: 8 Feb 2011, 04:50 am »
Hey... this looks like the ground floor.  Good to be here.

carusoracer

« Reply #18 on: 8 Feb 2011, 07:55 pm »
Really getting into the RVG Blue Note recordings. Most of the stuff I have been into has been:
Jimmy Smith
Grant Green
Stanley Turntine
Lou Donaldson

Anyone heard the RVG version of "Back at the Chicken Shack" by Jimmy Smith?
I have the original version and want to know how it stacks up to the RVG release. I'm finding most of the recording have sounded pretty darn good!

Also anyone have any thoughts on this particular period 55-65 Bop, Hard Bop etc recordings. I'm always looking for new artists.

Cheers!

Ronm1

• "A Bug!! Naa...thats a feature!
« Reply #19 on: 8 Feb 2011, 08:54 pm »

Quote from: martyo on October 27, 2010, 07:43:46

I recently picked up this disc on MoFi Sacd, really nice recording and music :thumb:

I agree +1, fine performance and sonics. IMHO one can never get enough takes on the Aranjuez, I must have at least 6-8 by now!!!