NAKSA Web Review

Seano

Re: NAKSA Web Review
« Reply #20 on: 5 Jan 2011, 09:47 pm »
As I have pointed out elsewhere.....the big problems with that design is:

a) there is no 'Hand of God';
b) there is insufficient detail around the specification of the vibrator - there's lots of different vibrators out there!

jrebman

« Reply #21 on: 18 Feb 2011, 12:08 am »
Hi Hugh,

Long time no speak!  Just caught wind of this the other day when Bill Hobba mentioned it in the Tranquility dac thread.

All I can say is that I'm interested; very interested, but like Anand, it will probably have to wait until this summer before I can get to it, -- got 4 other amp, and two speaker projects in various stages of completion (or non-completion as the case may be) and I can't take on anything else until these are all done, except for maybe one of the speaker projects.

Hope you're well, and I'll be checking in from time to time and hopefully if somebody in this area has one of these, I'll get to audition it in the mean time.

Funny, the last SS amp I built back in the early 80s used a similar topology -- single-ended supply, differential output, thermal bias compensation, etc.  It was probably the best sounding amp I ever built considering it was built with 2n3055 outputs :D.  Made a big ol' dc-dc- converter and used it as a sub amp in a car sound system.
Best,

Jim

system.system, but did run it with some DCM time windows

AKSA

« Reply #22 on: 18 Feb 2011, 02:16 am »
Hi Jim (and KK, who is visiting!),

Welcome back to both of you!!

Jim, I will have two enclosures to showcase here shortly for the 70 and the 100 NAKSAs, both purpose built and available as an option for any order.

This should make a big difference to how the product is perceived in the market, and make it much easier to build, of course.

You are right, single ended seems to be better for perceived sound quality!

Cheers,

Hugh

Afterimage

« Reply #23 on: 20 Feb 2011, 12:22 am »
Good review read.  One thing I liked about it was I was familiar with most of the music he used.  It is rare for the the review reader to know that much of the reviewers material well.  IMO, it helps understand the review or the components sound better.

AKSA

« Reply #24 on: 20 Feb 2011, 10:06 am »
Yes, indeed AI, OTOH, I knew almost none of it, and felt at a disadvantage!!

But overall it was a fine review, and helped me make a decision on a special enclosure for this amp.

Thanks for the post!

Hugh

Afterimage

« Reply #25 on: 21 Feb 2011, 01:34 pm »
Hugh, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds are from Melbourne.  Never heard of them?  They a good following world wide. 

AKSA

« Reply #26 on: 21 Feb 2011, 10:38 pm »
Hi AI,

Ah, yes, I do know about Nick Cave, who was born the son of a schoolmaster in a Mallee town in western Victoria called Warracknabeal.  He is an interesting character, has lived in London, New York, Berlin, and Brazil for years at a time.  A good linguist, he is also something of a writer and actor.  Since his student days in Fine Art at Melbourne he's also been quite a user of injectable drugs, too - bit of a risk taker.  A brilliant, creative, difficult man.

Cheers,

Hugh

Afterimage

« Reply #27 on: 21 Feb 2011, 11:01 pm »
Hi AI,

Ah, yes, I do know about Nick Cave, who was born the son of a schoolmaster in a Mallee town in western Victoria called Warracknabeal.  He is an interesting character, has lived in London, New York, Berlin, and Brazil for years at a time.  A good linguist, he is also something of a writer and actor.  Since his student days in Fine Art at Melbourne he's also been quite a user of injectable drugs, too - bit of a risk taker.  A brilliant, creative, difficult man.

Cheers,

Hugh

Oh okay, you know enough about him.  it is to bad so many artist have such a duality to them.  Brilliant and creative, but part take in such self destructive behaviors.

AKSA

« Reply #28 on: 21 Feb 2011, 11:23 pm »
But Kieran, self-destructive behaviour is part of the creative makeup!!  Others in this style are Stephen King, Hunter S. Thompson, and Martin Sheen!  If they were careful, conservative types they'd work 9 to 5 as schoolteachers and accountants!!  Cave is obsessed with violence, death, and religion;  you couldn't expect him to write about 'the edge' unless he's been there!!

But I agree with the sentiment, it's a pity.  So far, Cave is healthy, which is remarkable, he's been taking heroin on and off for about forty years.

Hugh

Afterimage

« Reply #29 on: 22 Feb 2011, 02:31 am »
My favorite pop/rock artist/lyricist is Steve Kilbey of the Church.  They are from Sidney.  Kilbey, like Cave had similar issues.  Incredibly talented and creative but had a self destructive side too.  Although in his later years is has turned it around and is doing the best work of his career.  It does't hurt that the other members of the Church, 3 of which who have been together since 1980, are very talented too.  They won the ARIA(Australian Recording Industry Awards) awards last year too.  They are currently touring the United States but I had to miss them this time around because of my surgery. They are outstanding live.

AKSA

« Reply #30 on: 3 Mar 2011, 11:57 am »
Aha,

So noisy here!!

Nearly finished the NAKSA cases, almost ready.....

Hugh

TomS

« Reply #31 on: 3 Mar 2011, 12:06 pm »
Aha,

So noisy here!!

Nearly finished the NAKSA cases, almost ready.....

Hugh
Hugh,

Sorry if I missed this but are the cases local Aussie sale only or will they be available as export to the US as well?

Tom

Jens

« Reply #32 on: 3 Mar 2011, 01:41 pm »
..... and overseas? 8)

Cheers,

Jens

AKSA

« Reply #33 on: 3 Mar 2011, 09:26 pm »
Folks,

I will make them available to anyone, regardless.  This could make a big difference to the ease of build, and being custom designed will be very specific to these fine amp modules.  They won't be heavy, but they will be bulky, and this invariable creates a few problems with packaging;  any package which can be carried by one man will inevitably be used as a football during coffee break........ :lol:

Thanks for the interest, I'm looking forward to posting up picture of these cases on both the forum and the website, it's a seminal leap forward for Aspen.....

Cheers,

Hugh