NAKSA Web Review

AKSA

NAKSA Web Review
« on: 22 Oct 2010, 08:07 am »
Hi Folks,

Very thorough, well written and highly complimentary review posted by John Darko at his website DigitalAudioReview, right here:

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net.au/index.php/audio-reviews/amplifier-reviews/item/154-aspen-naksa-70-module

He really liked it!!   :bounce:

I'm grateful to John, very grateful, for this wonderful review.    :thankyou:

Cheers,

Hugh
« Last Edit: 4 Nov 2010, 12:14 am by AKSA »

bhobba

Re: NAKSA 70 PROFESSIONAL REVIEW AT DIGITALAUDIOREVIEW.COM.AU
« Reply #1 on: 22 Oct 2010, 09:29 am »
Very thorough, well written and highly complimentary review posted by John Darko at his website DigitalAudioReview

Read it.  As usual it is written in Johns highly lucid and engaging style, and IMHO is very similar to what I heard in the amp.  I agree entirely with Hugh's comments above.  Initially I was scratching my head a little as to why John gave it just 4 stars.   To me this is a 5 star amp if I ever heard one - and I am a tough - no very tough grader.  But after reading the full review I understand exactly what was going on.  It is a 5 star amp but had a point taken away because some assembly is required.  Yes I understand the issue and would in no way take John to task for doing that.  However I do feel it is necessary to point out finding someone to do that for you is actually quite painless if you can't do it.  In fact they may likely be able to tweak it for you by using up market cabling and connectors of a standard you would only ever find in much much more expensive amps for only a small amount more.  In fact while I was down at Mike Lenehans last Tuesday at least two DIY tweaker's were only too keen to do exactly that.  Simply make a post to Hugh's forum and I am certain something can be worked out.

Oh and I also want to add John is correct about the WFS DAC and the NAKSA - it did not do it for me either. I have my own views on why that is but it would take me a bit off track to detail them here. Suffice to say I found the WFS detailed but a bit cold and analytical with a slight bit of digital glare and perhaps some issues with sibilance control (although not everyone seems to hear it). The clarity I heard in the NAKSA let that detail and the other stuff through with full force - for better or for worse.

Thanks
Bill

JohnR

« Reply #2 on: 22 Oct 2010, 10:16 am »
He dinged it for "aesthetics" - said so three or four times, including in the first paragraph. But he's honest about it.

Some of the prose is a bit over the top for my taste - an erstwhile diet of meat and potatoes?  :o - but a stellar review nonetheless, congratulations Hugh :thumb:

AKSA

« Reply #3 on: 22 Oct 2010, 10:33 am »
Thanks John,

The aesthetics issue was certainly emphasized, true, but I can live with that, because I only wish to sell modules at this stage.

It's a good review, I'm very pleased, and maybe now I will need to get on with it and hopefully meet some demand.

Hugh

Jens

« Reply #4 on: 22 Oct 2010, 10:38 am »
Hi Hugh,

Congratulations on this review! :D

Best wishes for this being the first in a long row of smashing reviews  :green:

Cheers,

Jens

Rom

« Reply #5 on: 22 Oct 2010, 10:42 am »
Congrats Hugh !!!!

For a very nice review of the NAKSA 70.

Rom

AKSA

« Reply #6 on: 22 Oct 2010, 11:04 am »
Thanks Jens, Rom,

This review is a good start for Aspen, I now realise I must have reviews, it's the only way to spread the word. 

Rom, thank you sincerely for your part in the project, I'm very happy with the latest addition to the family......!

Hugh

gaetan8888

« Reply #7 on: 22 Oct 2010, 08:46 pm »
Hello Hugh

A very good Naksa review.

John Darko have done a very honest, lucid and competent review, there is no frill and you can see, by reading it, a guy who did not try to sell a product made by an advertiser.

So the readers can really be sure that this review are honest and not a desguise advertise, that's very important because lot of audiophiles lost confidence into audio magazines reviews.

Looking arround in John Darko's web site I can see that the advertisers are not taking too much spaces. There is so much audio magazines who are full of advertising and since they need them to live they can't be alway's honest in their audio products review.

Since John Darko are not tied to advertisers money he can be very honest in his reviews.

Audiophiles need more of those audio products review web pages, like John Darko's web page, who work for them and not for the advertisers.

Congratulation Hugh, the Naksa deserve this very good review of it.

Bye

Gaetan

AKSA

« Reply #8 on: 27 Oct 2010, 10:22 pm »
Folks,

John tells me that with links here, my website, and DIYaudio.com, his review of the NAKSA 70 saw over 200 hits in the first 24 hours.  This is good coverage;  it's continuing, too, with lots of people learning about this new amp product.

In the meantime, I'm working on the NAKSA 100, and have decided to integrate the power supply, just like the 70, for ease of assembly.  All you need to do now is connect up the two transformer secondaries, #1 to the left and #2 to the right side of the pcb.

Listening tests continue to beguile, this is a very good amp, with all the sonic qualities of the 70 but more power.

Cheers,

Hugh

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #9 on: 27 Oct 2010, 10:29 pm »
Excellent review. On my short list of solid state amps I would like to build. That is if time was plentiful!

One day...

Anand.

AKSA

« Reply #10 on: 27 Oct 2010, 10:43 pm »
Could be closer than you think, Anand.....

Hugh    :wink:

bhobba

« Reply #11 on: 28 Oct 2010, 11:58 pm »
Excellent review. On my short list of solid state amps I would like to build. That is if time was plentiful

Again I would like to emphasize don't worry too much about building this amp.  The main thing is to see if you can listen to one to see if you like it.  If you are, for whatever reason, in a position where building it is not really an option it is usualy a painless exercise finding someone to do it for you.  And because Hugh sells it the way he does the price is kept ludicrously low for what you get.  If you are in the Gold Coast/ Brisbane area I know of a number of options for getting it built.  And because it is built to your requirements you can get stuff that exactly matches your needs.  For example most people have zero problems with single ended cables and they will work just fine - in fact Hugh has valid reasons for why they are to be preferred.  However if you are in a noisy environment like I possibly am then going balanced may be required.  Dead easy with Hughs amp - simply install a balanced to unbalanced transformer.  Try that with other amps.

Thanks
Bill

AKSA

NAKSA Web Review
« Reply #12 on: 4 Nov 2010, 12:11 am »
Here's the NAKSA Web review from John Darko:

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net.au/index.php/audio-reviews/amplifier-reviews/item/154-aspen-naksa-70-module

The NAKSA 100 is in the mill, and will be also reviewed by John in due course.....!! 

Cheers,

Hugh

jkeny

• Industry Participant
    • Modified Hiface USB Transports
Re: NAKSA Web Review
« Reply #13 on: 6 Nov 2010, 08:01 pm »
Excellent review, Hugh. Indeed you do need reviews as well as word of mouth recommendations - they are both a web retailers life blood! Well done. Keep on keeping on!

Tim

« Reply #14 on: 28 Dec 2010, 09:31 pm »
Hugh,

will the naksa work with a naim pre amp?

Tim

Thanks Jens, Rom,

This review is a good start for Aspen, I now realise I must have reviews, it's the only way to spread the word. 

Rom, thank you sincerely for your part in the project, I'm very happy with the latest addition to the family......!

Hugh

AKSA

« Reply #15 on: 28 Dec 2010, 09:50 pm »
Tim,

Can't see why not!!

My preference is always for a tube pre, as you may know, but NAIM certainly has a reputation, so can't see it would be an issue.....  The Zin of the NAKSA is 30K, which is high, and easy to drive.

Cheers,

Hugh

Tim

« Reply #16 on: 28 Dec 2010, 11:57 pm »
Hugh,

would I be best introducing a GK-1 or a NAKSA first to my system (Naim 62 pre, Naim 250 power amp)?

cant afford both at moment!  :drool: :drool:

Cheers
Tim

Tim,

Can't see why not!!

My preference is always for a tube pre, as you may know, but NAIM certainly has a reputation, so can't see it would be an issue.....  The Zin of the NAKSA is 30K, which is high, and easy to drive.

Cheers,

Hugh

andyr

« Reply #17 on: 29 Dec 2010, 03:04 am »

Hugh,

would I be best introducing a GK-1 or a NAKSA first to my system (Naim 62 pre, Naim 250 power amp)?

cant afford both at moment!  :drool: :drool:

Cheers
Tim

Hi Tim,

I changed from a Naim 42.5/250 combo to Hugh's AKSA amps almost 10 years ago ... and now the Lifeforces and NAKSAs are even better:D  So I would say, yes, you definitely need to change ... but either combo will not deliver you the optimum AKSA sound.  :cry:

Early Naim preamps "shaped" the sound to prevent power amps like the 250 from oscillating ... ie. they rolled off the top end not far above 20K (certainly by 30KHz).  Certainly the 32.5 & 42 were like this - I'm not sure about the 62 but I would imagine it must?

So if you use a Naim pre with an AKSA power amp, you won't be getting full value from the highs of your AKSA amp.  Alternatively, if you use a GK-1 with your Naim 250, you will not be rolling off the highs - which might give the 250 a problem?   :?

To be safe, I suggest it would be better to replace the 250 first.  At least you will get an immediate betterment to your sound!!   :lol:

Regards,

Andy

RonR

« Reply #18 on: 4 Jan 2011, 03:58 pm »
Hello Tim,

I would tend to agree with Andy, replacing the Power amp first will be the safest option, especially if you have non-naim (i.e. low inductance) speaker cables.

Further to Andy's excellent advice, you may have to play with earthing arrangements to get the set-up dead quiet. Naim pre-amps can be tricky to set up when used with other equipment due to the pre-to-power signal being fed through the Power Supply. :duh:

BTW, My pre-Aspen amplification was Naim 32.5, Hi-Cap and 250, which was replaced by a GK-1 and AKSA55 (Later upgraded to LF55)

You will find the Aspen kit a revelation after Naim, I know I did!

Cheers,

Ron.

AKSA

« Reply #19 on: 4 Jan 2011, 10:30 pm »
Tim,

Happy with your answers?  I would ahem tend to agree with both Andy and Ron, thanks Guys......

This caught my fancy recently, very funny, it's a good example of how I design my circuits, though of course a great deal of coffee is involved.....

Cheers,

Hugh