New Naksa Amplifier! Quick Initial Impression......

Johnny

Re: New Naksa Amplifier! Quick Initial Impression......
« Reply #440 on: 11 Mar 2011, 02:40 pm »
Luvly!
This should encourage more takers.
Which is a very good thing for all of us 8)

guest1632

« Reply #441 on: 11 Mar 2011, 05:41 pm »
Folks,

I have a prototype case for the NAKSA 70 now complete.  Here it is with a NAKSA 70 stereo module in the correct position:

This case is very, very good.  It's made in monocoque from one sheet of Al, and requires only a 1mm steel top cover.  It's purpose designed by Graeme, a good and generous friend, and I have pulled the trigger on a number to be produced in the next fortnight.

This is, as I've said, a prototype.  The final will have:

1.  All sharp edges linished
2.  Semi-gloss, quality powder coating
3.  All holes and slots correctly position for standard production parts which may be ordered or otherwise with the module
4.  No further reworking required;  a complete DIY kitchen table assembly, just supply Transformer, which can be up to 120mm in diameter.

The more I listen to the NAKSA 70 and 100 power amps, the more convinced I become that these are just wonderful amps, very musical with terrific resolution and driving bass.

More later as the batch is made.  I will photograph and display here the build.

Cheers,

Hugh

Hi Hugh,

Can you give me some dimentions in inches for the .70's case. I realize you don't have the stats for the 100 amp yet.

Also, any idea of price, for both, ballpark figure of course.

Ray Bronk

AKSA

« Reply #442 on: 11 Mar 2011, 10:32 pm »
Hi Ray,

Dimensions for the N70 enclosure are 320W x 250D x 65H, which is 12.6W x 9.85D x 2.56H.

Cost at this stage will be ballpark $USD125 fully linished, drilled, tapped, powder coated.   Nutserts will be used to hold the feet and top cover.  A large reinforced, dimpled anchor point will secure the transformer.  The alloy used is 3mm thick, almost 1/8", and very strong.

The yellow you see is simply sunlight reflected color from the stand on which the box was placed for photographing. 

Those who order the box with their module will have the module already installed, ready to connect up.  The case is the heatsink, having even more radiating area than the large cast heatsink I normally use.

I'm struck by how strong and light this box is, quite amazing.  I think a lot of people have been waiting for this enclosure!

Cheers,

Hugh

guest1632

« Reply #443 on: 20 Mar 2011, 01:10 am »
Hi Ray,

Dimensions for the N70 enclosure are 320W x 250D x 65H, which is 12.6W x 9.85D x 2.56H.

Cost at this stage will be ballpark $USD125 fully linished, drilled, tapped, powder coated.   Nutserts will be used to hold the feet and top cover.  A large reinforced, dimpled anchor point will secure the transformer.  The alloy used is 3mm thick, almost 1/8", and very strong.

The yellow you see is simply sunlight reflected color from the stand on which the box was placed for photographing. 

Those who order the box with their module will have the module already installed, ready to connect up.  The case is the heatsink, having even more radiating area than the large cast heatsink I normally use.

I'm struck by how strong and light this box is, quite amazing.  I think a lot of people have been waiting for this enclosure!

Cheers,

Hugh

Hi Hugh,

That's sounds about right, and is frankly a steal. I am presuming you are using in your pic a 220V Trafo? So (once I have some money and the money system hasn't collapsed yet) I buy the N100 I would just have to supply the Trafo? If so, that's ok. I wouldn't expect you to ship it with a trafo. What VA rating are you using on the N70?

I would think for the N100, the height would have to be at least 3 inches to accomodate a say 425VA to 500VA Trafo.

Ray Bronk

AKSA

« Reply #444 on: 20 Mar 2011, 05:22 am »
Hi Ray,

Thanks for the post - pretty much, though our voltage is 240Vac here, but 220-230Vac is widely used in Europe and Asia.

You are right about the N100 case - still waiting on it - it's 80mm tall, just over three inches.

Keep you posted on progress......

Hugh

guest1632

« Reply #445 on: 22 Mar 2011, 08:29 am »
Hi Ray,

Thanks for the post - pretty much, though our voltage is 240Vac here, but 220-230Vac is widely used in Europe and Asia.

You are right about the N100 case - still waiting on it - it's 80mm tall, just over three inches.

Keep you posted on progress......

Hugh

Hi Hugh,

I would think if you are using a 240V, with presuming two primaries of 120V wired in series, to get 240V. All ;you would have to then do is just wire them both in parallel for 120V, or not use one of the primaries at all. Don't know if that's the case or not. But on the n70, you could still ship with Trafo in tact, setup for that particular region of the world. What VA are you using on the n70? I know you specified 425 to 500VA on the n100. Just curious.

Ray Bronk

AKSA

« Reply #446 on: 22 Mar 2011, 09:38 am »
Hi Ray,

The isse is to leave connecting the trafo to the DIYer, rather than do it myself.  Why?  Because I do not then need CE/UL certification, which is expensive and country specific.

There's another reason.  A 300VA trafo, even in toroid, weighs about five pounds, adding horrifically to the cost of shipping across the many ponds which sadly surround Australia.....!!  And in all markets I ship to, trafos of good quality are readily available, so this is not so bad.

The N70 uses a 300VA transformer, with two 30Vac secondaries. 

But you are absolutely right about wiring 2 x 120Vac windings in series/parallel to suit different markets!!

Still don't have the proto case for the NAKSA 100, I'm pretty upset about the delays, but the guy is really busy so I have to stand in line.

Cheers,

Hugh

guest1632

« Reply #447 on: 22 Mar 2011, 04:15 pm »
Hi Ray,

The isse is to leave connecting the trafo to the DIYer, rather than do it myself.  Why?  Because I do not then need CE/UL certification, which is expensive and country specific.

There's another reason.  A 300VA trafo, even in toroid, weighs about five pounds, adding horrifically to the cost of shipping across the many ponds which sadly surround Australia.....!!  And in all markets I ship to, trafos of good quality are readily available, so this is not so bad.

The N70 uses a 300VA transformer, with two 30Vac secondaries. 

But you are absolutely right about wiring 2 x 120Vac windings in series/parallel to suit different markets!!

Still don't have the proto case for the NAKSA 100, I'm pretty upset about the delays, but the guy is really busy so I have to stand in line.

Cheers,

Hugh

Hi Hugh,

So with the two cases, are you gonna provide RCA and speaker connectors wired, or will this be the job of the DIYer?If so, then you could just eliminate the posts or whatever type of connector you would be using and do a direct PCB connect. if so, then $125 for the N70, and guestimating $150 for the N100, would still be a steal. It's one thing to build a case, but another to drill the necessary holes and such. It all takes valuable time.

Ray Bronk

AKSA

« Reply #448 on: 22 Mar 2011, 10:00 pm »
Ray,

I probably will do this work, yes, but may need to charge more to cover both the time and the parts.  I will receive enclosures with all holes and slots drilled/punched/tapped.  I wouldn't expect it to be expensive, and while I want to field an economical, high quality product, I'm acutely aware that if the price is a 'steal' as you fetchingly put it then the theft is on me......  so I must be careful.

I'm presently looking at binding posts, IEC modules, etc, for cost effective solutions.  The box will be fielded at the price given, but the add ons will invariably raise it a bit.  However, if I do all the wiring, then, as I have found to my chagrin, I at least can control critical wiring, and avoid returns because someone has made a wrong connection (usually for reasons of inexperience, nothing more) and damaged something.

Thank you for your patient, ongoing interest.

Cheers,

Hugh

guest1632

« Reply #449 on: 23 Mar 2011, 02:51 am »
Ray,

I probably will do this work, yes, but may need to charge more to cover both the time and the parts.  I will receive enclosures with all holes and slots drilled/punched/tapped.  I wouldn't expect it to be expensive, and while I want to field an economical, high quality product, I'm acutely aware that if the price is a 'steal' as you fetchingly put it then the theft is on me......  so I must be careful.

I'm presently looking at binding posts, IEC modules, etc, for cost effective solutions.  The box will be fielded at the price given, but the add ons will invariably raise it a bit.  However, if I do all the wiring, then, as I have found to my chagrin, I at least can control critical wiring, and avoid returns because someone has made a wrong connection (usually for reasons of inexperience, nothing more) and damaged something.

Cheers,

Hugh

Hi Hugh,

Well, a simple question then, what do you currently use for your other amps as far as RCA and speaker and IEC connectors? What do you figure a reasonable cost for them might be?

I say it's a steal, because if you buy from one of the case manufacturers out of China, you might pay say $80 or so. But then not all of the holes would be drilled, nor would the presumed quality of the case be there either. If you used the same connectors you use on your other amps, then that part of the equation would be the same as your other amps. It's a separate price you could offer. Soldering, I can do that. But it would be enough to get the job done. There are some who can't tell the difference between a screwdriver and a soldering tip, and they're sighted yet. lol. But that's the type you would be catering to here. I suppose what you could do is just supply the wiring to the binding posts with a ring connector, and on the RCA's yeah, solder them in. This way, the person all he/she has to do is to supply the Trafo, and binding posts, and they be done.

For a set of posts, that you would probably use on pro gear, they're about $20 for a set of two pairs. They're not the "audiophile" type, but they work aok. At least that is what they were when I was at my local electrical supply shop. Typical type with the 5 sided plastic covers and spaced correctly for the bananna plugs to fit.

RCA's a different story. When I was building the other amp, I bought RCA's that mounted from the inside the case. So all you had to do was to tighten the nut down on the outside of the case. Better constructed too.

Ok, bottomline: two prices, one for just the amps and case (barebones) and one wired up minus Trafo. The DIYer would have to supply the in either case the IEC connector, on/off switch, and fuse hardware. i suppose for the deluxe version, a third price minus the Trafo, but with all other hardware supplied. Just something to further aggravate you a bit.

Well, I'll leave you alone so you can get your work done.
Ray Bronk

guest1632

« Reply #450 on: 22 Apr 2011, 06:21 am »
Ray,

Cheers,

Hugh

Hi Hugh,

Any news? It's been awhile now, and haven't seen much movement here. So just curious to know if you have more info.

Ray Bronk

AKSA

« Reply #451 on: 22 Apr 2011, 08:54 am »
Yes, Ray,

I have the enclosures, and tomorrow start selling existing orders.

Very nice job too, extremely pleased.  Only 320W x 250D x 65H, so compact, very high WAF.

I honestly think it sounds a bit better than the previous enclosure because the box is used for heatsinking, and the module further from the steel top cover.

Very gutsy, highly resolving amp with astonishing bass and very good imaging and spatial cues.  Happy as a clam.....

I'm still waiting on the NAKSA 100 case, but the prototype is signed off and manufacture is under way.

BTW, moving to the DIYaudio AKSA forum in a week, be warned, this forum will close off as I rationalise my advertising expenses.

Thanks for your continuing interest, appreciated.

Cheers,

Hugh