Group report for LSAF 2010

JohnR

Group report for LSAF 2010
« on: 6 May 2010, 03:26 am »
Hi everybody, if you're attending LSAF, please consider contributing to a group report for a new webzine. The idea here would be to make it a "personal highlights of LSAF" type of article, with some thoughts from a few people on their experience there. So it's low-pressure, no need to write War and Peace, just a few sentences on what you thought.

I'm thinking that something like the following would work. If there were three or four people willing to do this, it would make a nice (and different) article:

1. A brief intro - why you went to LSAF (2 or 3 sentences)
2. A photo of one of your favorite rooms + a 2 or 3 sentences about it - what you liked, what you found new or interesting, who you met.
3. Repeat #2 as desired :)

There would be no problem with having already posted your photos or text in the LSAF circle on AC or on any other website - the article is not supposed to be some kind of "exclusive."

Because of the short timeline for the first issue the deadline would be a week after the show (and earlier is better). Again, just your thoughts, no need to make it into a hard thing.

If you would be willing to try, please send me a PM with your email addy. jimdgoulding has kindly offered so far - thanks Jim :thumb:

JohnR

Re: Group report for LSAF 2010
« Reply #1 on: 9 May 2010, 03:37 am »
Hey - got two volunteers so far. Would like to get a couple more :thumb:

sl_1800

« Reply #2 on: 15 May 2010, 01:15 am »
Count me in.  Saw a few things at LSAF this evening, going back for a day full tomorrow.

TrungT

« Reply #3 on: 15 May 2010, 04:16 am »
I only have a few pictures like to add, more tomorrow.

Room 215, Nice to meet you Michael

Room 202

GR Research

More soon
 :eyebrows:

jimdgoulding

« Reply #4 on: 15 May 2010, 09:06 am »
Live from the Lone Star Audio Fest!  Bout as live as you can be if you have "sipped and sucked at some of the most demonstrative epitomal bistros in the Dallas metropolitan area".  That's from a Tom Waits classic if you didn't know cept he was talking about L.A.  Danny Richey's (GR Research) open baffle V2's would be a perfect match for my size room and, podners, they sound good!  They are the most tempting for me of anything I've heard in a long time.  Pictured above in the middle photo.

This is pretty cool.  The hotel has us all on the same floor and everybody's door is open.  The chief bottle washer from Audioroundtable.com and PI speakers, Wayne Parham, is relaxing people with his Model 3's.  The cabinets are very handsome in Bulinba(?) and ash.   I believe he said that for the kit to include everything but the cabinets, the cost is 800 clams.  You get a lotta quality sound for that.  Lot's DIY'ers kicking tires in his room lured by the good sound from within.  I believe he offers in any variety of woods if you want him to do the work.

Dinner at The Grape on Greenville for me and my brood earlier this evening.  The mushroom soup has been on the menu since they opened in 1975.  I had the mushroom soup.  I ain't no dummy.  Almost made a meal out of it dipping bread.   

I'll add more tomorrow and make corrections to the above if need be cause I also had another of the Grape's specialties, a very crisp and hearty Chardonnay, a few times over.

This is fun!
« Last Edit: 17 May 2010, 05:23 pm by jimdgoulding »

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
« Reply #5 on: 16 May 2010, 03:33 am »
I'd love to see images of AudioKinesis Duke LeJeune's room and read some feedback about the sound, etc.

Tell Duke and Lori Jim says "hi".

TrungT

« Reply #6 on: 16 May 2010, 04:31 am »
Virtue Audio & GR Research

TrungT

« Reply #7 on: 16 May 2010, 04:35 am »
Room 228

REY

« Reply #8 on: 16 May 2010, 04:38 am »
Best sounding room of the day in my opinion

Digital done right, Virtue audio

This little driver was making HUGE music

And a mighty horn

TrungT

« Reply #9 on: 16 May 2010, 04:39 am »
West Texas Science Center - Junior Audiophile Project

Brucemck

« Reply #10 on: 16 May 2010, 03:43 pm »
Agree with Rey ... Danny's larger open baffles with the wall of black velvet behind them were terrific ... easily up to the "hype" of the discussion threads.

Terrific imaging, solid with slam, great tonality.  Really very, very, nice.  In a nice room (which would not describe this venue) they'd be stunning.   :thumb: :thumb: :icon_lol:

ps -- how much amp does it take to do them justice?  Is an 8-10w/ch SET too small?

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #11 on: 16 May 2010, 03:46 pm »
Thanks for the photo's....keep them coming.... 8) :thumb:

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #12 on: 16 May 2010, 04:11 pm »
Yes... more photos please!  Also more mini reviews and please identify the speakers and associated gear in the photos.

Thanks,

Roy

tonyptony

« Reply #13 on: 16 May 2010, 05:06 pm »
Anybody seen Pat or heard any of the Ar-t gear yet?

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #14 on: 16 May 2010, 05:51 pm »
Thanks for the images!  The more the merrier! 

I'd love to hear the GR Research display.  Everyone seems to love it.  Regarding their room:

1. I suspect the purpose of the prodigious curtain material is to hide acoustic damping material.  Is there acoustic damping "behind the curtain"?  I believe the rule is the less space (or damping material) behind a dipole the worse is the sound.   

2. Would appreciate someone to confirm with their own eyes whether or not a sub is in the room, and if yes, is it active?  The following applies only to the Wilson Audio dealer involved: In a dimly lit room I auditioned the current Wilson Duet monitor.  On the way out I noticed a REL sub, one of my favorites.  I asked if it was on.  Surprisingly he replied yes, but it was set very low, like around 30 Hz.  He added it really didn't affect the sound (leading to the question as to why it was in the room). 

3. Would someone familiar with good 1st octave reproduction play music with 1st octave bass at elevated level and report about the low bass cutoff, the quantity and quality of the 1st octave?  Please mention the music.  Will GR allow music with 1st octave bass to be played at elevated level?

Thanks!     

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #15 on: 16 May 2010, 07:04 pm »
Yes... more photos please!  Also more mini reviews and please identify the speakers and associated gear in the photos.

Thanks,

Roy

+1 on above..thanks guys!! :thumb:

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #16 on: 16 May 2010, 07:38 pm »
Thanks for the images!  The more the merrier! 

I'd love to hear the GR Research display.  Everyone seems to love it.  Regarding their room:

1. I suspect the purpose of the prodigious curtain material is to hide acoustic damping material.  Is there acoustic damping "behind the curtain"?  I believe the rule is the less space (or damping material) behind a dipole the worse is the sound.   

2. Would appreciate someone to confirm with their own eyes whether or not a sub is in the room, and if yes, is it active?  The following applies only to the Wilson Audio dealer involved: In a dimly lit room I auditioned the current Wilson Duet monitor.  On the way out I noticed a REL sub, one of my favorites.  I asked if it was on.  Surprisingly he replied yes, but it was set very low, like around 30 Hz.  He added it really didn't affect the sound (leading to the question as to why it was in the room). 

3. Would someone familiar with good 1st octave reproduction play music with 1st octave bass at elevated level and report about the low bass cutoff, the quantity and quality of the 1st octave?  Please mention the music.  Will GR allow music with 1st octave bass to be played at elevated level?

Thanks!   

If you are talking about the room with the Super-V's, they have their own open baffle sub built in.  The bottom two woofers are the sub up to the XO to the coaxial driver.  The subs are totally adjustable with their own servo amp per side.  They will go into the high teens.

Gary's Battery Power Amp is 15wpc stereo and play the Super-V's here very loud if wanted.  All off a 12VDC/75A-H AGM battery.

art

• Industry Participant
    • Analog Research-Technology
« Reply #17 on: 16 May 2010, 07:39 pm »
Anybody seen Pat or heard any of the Ar-t gear yet?

We were with the guy in this photo:

http://www.audiocircle.com/image.php?id=30459

ebag4

« Reply #18 on: 16 May 2010, 07:46 pm »
Gary's Battery Power Amp is 15wpc stereo and play the Super-V's here very loud if wanted.  All off a 12VDC/75A-H AGM battery.

I know Danny typically uses Gary battery powered EL84 amp but I don't see it in the pic above.  It appears that the Battery Buffer is sitting on what may be an amp, does anyone know what amp was used for the show?

Best,
Ed

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #19 on: 16 May 2010, 08:37 pm »
If you are talking about the room with the Super-V's, they have their own open baffle sub built in.  The bottom two woofers are the sub up to the XO to the coaxial driver.  The subs are totally adjustable with their own servo amp per side.  They will go into the high teens.

I knew the Super V included what (apparently) you and GR call a subwoofer.  My question
Would appreciate someone to confirm with their own eyes whether or not a  sub is in the room, and if yes, is it active?
concerned a neutral party looking for a sub (the far more ubiquitous sealed or ported type) that could be easily hidden behind the abundant curtain material in the images.   

The subs...go into the high teens
sheds no light, as is normally the case with ad copy.

The Super V look great.  I love the name.  Forgive me for being curious about what may or may not be behind the curtains.