High performance regulators for the Buffalo DAC and IVY

Nikola

Re: High performance regulators for the Buffalo DAC and IVY
« Reply #20 on: 23 Aug 2010, 09:46 am »
Hi there,

Here is an attempt but I am definitely not very good with my ancient digital camera...  :oops: The last picture was supposed to show how I bent one of the legs of the regs to go over the other two insted of crossing them and using insulation, unfortunately it did not come out as expected. Please let me know if you need any details, this is not a finished project yet but it is already amazing.

flocchini

« Reply #21 on: 23 Aug 2010, 02:22 pm »
Thanks Nikola:

I like your set-up

I have received my regulators from Paul and in September will be putting everything together.
I have a separate 6V "pre- regulator" to provide VD to the new boards. My assumption is that I will not connect the VD pins on the new shunt boards to the DAC but connect these directly to my pre-regulator.

Thanks for  the photos.

Best

Bob

rklein

• My finest audio piece ever!!
« Reply #22 on: 23 Aug 2010, 03:53 pm »
I also am looking to possibly build the Buffalo II and get Paul Hyne's regs.  A noobie question for sure but when ordering the Buffalo II, do I still need to order the Placid Power Supply as well as the Placid BP Power Supply for the IVY-III I/V line stage if I am using Paul's regs?

Thanks,

Randy

multibit16

« Reply #23 on: 23 Aug 2010, 04:27 pm »
Nice work guys  8)
I've been listening to BII + IVYIII  using mainly stock regulation on the dacs board with Z1P/Z1N shunts for the IVY.
I also briefly compared a pair of z1703v3 shunts (borrowed from Monica3 dac)  against TP's supplied shunts for the AVCC L&R.    The onboard sockets allows easy comparisons ,  sorry guys but imho Pauls shunts bring a very noticeable increase in performance over the supplied TP shunts especially in the upper mid and HF  :o 

A PR3G2 or Z1P  can be used as a regulated psu, if using Z1P you need a rectifier + smoothing cap

Or as an alternative Z1P set for 5v -5v5   

For IVY / Legato etc

rklein

« Reply #24 on: 23 Aug 2010, 05:08 pm »
Mulitbit16

Wonderful diagram!! :thumb:

According to your post it looks like I would just order the Buffalo II without the Placid PS as well as just the IVYIII without the BP Placid? 

One other question... you have 2 x 0-15 transformers listed but there are 3 transformers in your diagram in regards ti the IVYIII.  In addition, are the transformers from Twisted Pear?

Thanks,

Randy

richidoo

« Reply #25 on: 23 Aug 2010, 05:44 pm »
Thanks for the great pictures multibit.  That lets me see which regs go to which parts of DAC/output.   :thumb:   Now I just have to consider the price, as I already have 3 Placids in hand, and 3 of the previous TP regs too in my Buff32. I'll find another use for them.  :wink:

Yes, you can buy the transformers from TP, if they have stock. They sell Abel transformers. Or order them yourself from Mouser, etc. 

rklein, Technically, you could get by with 1 transformer to power all 6 regulators on IVY/Legato. But using PH regs is about getting the maximum performance possible. By using 3 transformers you create a pure discreet power supply for each amplifier section. This, in theory, would prevent any crosstalk between channels occuring within a single transformer's secondary winding, and it provides maximum magnetic reserve for each power supply, instead of sharing energy reserve among the channels. IMO crosstalk and sag is highly unlikely with PH regulators and a big enough tranny and power supply, which these are. But one thing you learn in DIY is that every change is audible, so the three transformers will probably sound better in some way however small. Plus, DIY is about expressing one's desire for perfection at value prices. A DIY project is a work of art and pride, so going overboard is half the fun. Triple mono power supply for output stage is definitely perfection oriented!!  :thumb:  Compared to the regulators, the transformers are a minor cost. You just need some extra room to fit them all.   :D

If you don't use the Bal/SE output then you don't need to power that section, and would only need 2 transformers. You might like to have SE conversion at some point later on, so leave room for the tranny in your case. 

multibit16

« Reply #26 on: 23 Aug 2010, 06:03 pm »
Mulitbit16

Wonderful diagram!! :thumb:

According to your post it looks like I would just order the Buffalo II without the Placid PS as well as just the IVYIII without the BP Placid? 

One other question... you have 2 x 0-15 transformers listed but there are 3 transformers in your diagram in regards ti the IVYIII.  In addition, are the transformers from Twisted Pear?

Thanks,

Randy

Hi Randy,

The PH Z1P and Z1N are regulators so you still need a DC source . You can use unregulated supply's  after the transformers containing just the rectifiers and filter caps or you can use a regulated psu, something like TP's  Placids .
Which way is best really depends on the transformers your going to be using, if their voltage is quite high it would be best to go for a regulated psu used as pre regulation for the Z1A/Z1N to prevent  over heating from the large voltage drop required on the output.

The transformers I use are what I had spare brought cheap from a radio rally,  I built the unregulated psu's on vero board using discrete diodes for the rectifier and a suitable sized electrolytic cap for the filter.   

In the picture I'll be using 3 x separate transformers for the IVY  running its 3 stages separate,  each transformers dual output provides each stage its +/-v source so really it should be marked as 12 x 0-15v .  It could be considered overkill  or optimal running like this, it all depends how far you want to shove things  :lol:

multibit16

« Reply #27 on: 23 Aug 2010, 06:07 pm »
Spot on  richidoo   :thumb:   You explained better than me  :wink:

Spirit02

« Reply #28 on: 24 Aug 2010, 04:05 am »
Hi Paul,

Is it possible to change the output voltage of the Z1P-05 to 5.5V without returning it to you?

Cheers,
Phil

P.S. Nikola - looking good mate ;)

Paul Hynes

• Facilitator
    • http://www.paulhynesdesign.com
« Reply #29 on: 24 Aug 2010, 01:57 pm »
Nice work folks. Thanks for posting your project pictures. This really is a big help to other DIY enthusiasts.

Hi Phil,

Hope this helps.

Regards
Paul

Spirit02

« Reply #30 on: 24 Aug 2010, 02:34 pm »
That's fantastic, thanks :)

I should have asked earlier  :duh:

dboy

« Reply #31 on: 25 Aug 2010, 02:55 pm »
Hi,

I'm hoping to order a board from Paul to supply the main VD for my new Buffalo II (very impressed indeed with what his PR3GAP2 did for my Black Gated Charlize amp!).

Paul - can it be supplied set to give the slightly higher voltage as shown above (assuming you build to order)? What about current supply (Buffalo II drawing 290mA, but I will also be using a volumite)?

I'm tempted by the full kit of regs, but am real clumsy at soldering and don't want to send my DAC skywards. Anybody care to comment on how easy the full replacement is for a clutz? And anyone care to comment on degree of improvement gained by partial replacement (VD supply only, VD & AVCC etc.). Best partial combination?

Thanks in advance  :D,

Dave

Paul Hynes

• Facilitator
    • http://www.paulhynesdesign.com
« Reply #32 on: 25 Aug 2010, 06:46 pm »
Hi Dave,

Glad you like the PR3.

I can give you 5v48 +/-2% with standard value resistors as a standard order. If you want it trimming closer I will have to charge for this. You will just need to mention this at the time of order. I have been setting the shunt regulator current at 540ma recently to take account of the current draw with a full set of mini shunt regs. It is easy enough to vary this by changing the value of the 1W current set resistor.

Multibit16 has prepared some first class drawings further up the page. If you can follow his drawings you should have no difficulty. The PR3, Z1P and Z1N regs have screw terminals. If you do any soldering just use a good soldering iron of around 50 watts rating. This will make the solder flow quickly so you can remove the iron quickly,  reducing the risk of damage due to prolonged heat application. Use a good solder too. I use Warton Metals Omega 96% tin, 4 % silver and this flows very well.

Regards
Paul

dboy

« Reply #33 on: 25 Aug 2010, 08:35 pm »
Thanks for that info Paul.

I think my problem is physical clumsiness more than anything else. But maybe I am being too much of a wimp - I still remember the disappointment of frying my first Charlize, and at about 1/3 the price of a Buffalo II!

I would only be getting regs for the Buffalo board by the way as I am using a transformer rather than IVY on the output (Sowter 3575 with OCC wire - absolutely huge soundstage in test setup with inappropriate power supply and not even burned in!).

I read above that a simple diode bridge and cap are enough to supply the Z1A-05. Could I ask what cap value would be optimal? And Multibit, do you consider the PR3 board a better option than Z1P (sonically) for VD?

Thanks,

Dave
« Last Edit: 26 Aug 2010, 07:29 pm by dboy »

dboy

« Reply #34 on: 26 Aug 2010, 03:17 pm »
Hi again Paul,

I woke up feeling impetuous, and have now removed L6-8 and the AVCC module. Getting the AVCC off cleanly didn't happen   :?, but I guess I have to press forward and order the full set of regs now, hoping that my Buffalo will forgive me this clumsiness.

I'll email you direct about placing the order.

Dave

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #35 on: 27 Aug 2010, 12:49 pm »
Thanks for the great pictures multibit.  That lets me see which regs go to which parts of DAC/output.   :thumb:   Now I just have to consider the price, as I already have 3 Placids in hand, and 3 of the previous TP regs too in my Buff32. I'll find another use for them.  :wink:

Yes, you can buy the transformers from TP, if they have stock. They sell Abel transformers. Or order them yourself from Mouser, etc. 

rklein, Technically, you could get by with 1 transformer to power all 6 regulators on IVY/Legato. But using PH regs is about getting the maximum performance possible. By using 3 transformers you create a pure discreet power supply for each amplifier section. This, in theory, would prevent any crosstalk between channels occuring within a single transformer's secondary winding, and it provides maximum magnetic reserve for each power supply, instead of sharing energy reserve among the channels. IMO crosstalk and sag is highly unlikely with PH regulators and a big enough tranny and power supply, which these are. But one thing you learn in DIY is that every change is audible, so the three transformers will probably sound better in some way however small. Plus, DIY is about expressing one's desire for perfection at value prices. A DIY project is a work of art and pride, so going overboard is half the fun. Triple mono power supply for output stage is definitely perfection oriented!!  :thumb:  Compared to the regulators, the transformers are a minor cost. You just need some extra room to fit them all.   :D

If you don't use the Bal/SE output then you don't need to power that section, and would only need 2 transformers. You might like to have SE conversion at some point later on, so leave room for the tranny in your case.

And if you want to go a level above, you build the Buffalo II dual mono (that's two Buffalo II boards!). That's what I will be doing in addition to what multibit showed above in his AWESOME diagrams! See here.

Anand.

rklein

« Reply #36 on: 27 Aug 2010, 01:23 pm »
A PR3G2 or Z1P  can be used as a regulated psu, if using Z1P you need a rectifier + smoothing cap

I would very much appreciate if someone could explain in a little more detail how the unregulated psu's on vero board using discrete diodes for the rectifier and a suitable sized electrolytic cap for the filter are built.  I tried looking for them from Multibit16's posted pics but it seems they are under the PH regs for the IVY III.  Paul Hynes emailed me and said he has PS1 boards with Schottky barrier diodes and Panasonic FC energy strorage capacitors.  However, they cost $40 each.  While I will probably end up buying all of Paul's regs that Multibit employs in his DAC, including the PR3G2 for the Buffalo II board, I would like to build the 6 boards containing the rectifier and filter cap for the IVY III to keep the cost of this Buffalo II down.

Thanks,

Randy

dboy

« Reply #37 on: 27 Aug 2010, 01:35 pm »
I edited my post above to redirect my question to Multibit rather than Paul, but would like to ask again (hoping that is not impolite) for Multibit or indeed anybody with experience or an opinion - would the PR3 board provide a sonic advantage over the Z1P?

I agree about the diagrams too, as well as all the other info - fantastic help, especially for a noob like me!! Enormous thanks!

Dave.
« Last Edit: 27 Aug 2010, 04:48 pm by dboy »

multibit16

« Reply #38 on: 30 Aug 2010, 08:01 am »
I would very much appreciate if someone could explain in a little more detail how the unregulated psu's on vero board using discrete diodes for the rectifier and a suitable sized electrolytic cap for the filter are built.  I tried looking for them from Multibit16's posted pics but it seems they are under the PH regs for the IVY III.  Paul Hynes emailed me and said he has PS1 boards with Schottky barrier diodes and Panasonic FC energy strorage capacitors.  However, they cost $40 each.  While I will probably end up buying all of Paul's regs that Multibit employs in his DAC, including the PR3G2 for the Buffalo II board, I would like to build the 6 boards containing the rectifier and filter cap for the IVY III to keep the cost of this Buffalo II down.

Thanks,

Randy

Hi Randy,

Sorry for the late reply
As an example the simplest ones you just need a couple of sockets, piece of matrix board, 4 x diodes of your choice (I used UF4002 ) and a suitable rated cap/s  (I use 3300uf 35v Panasonic FC)  Of course

An example of a simple single diy rectifier module,  one of these modules are used for each unregulated supply, they can be easily wired for +v or -v rails.  Run all the grounds separate to the dac board

2 x pin sockets
4 x discrete diodes  (I used UF4002)   
1 x filter cap of suitable voltage and value  ( I used 3300uf 35v Panny FC)
1 x Piece of matrix board to build the rectifier modules on

You can of course use your own choice of diodes like Schottky etc and favourite filter caps, I used whatever I had . You can also add more filtering etc
Be sure the diodes are connected the right way around

multibit16

« Reply #39 on: 30 Aug 2010, 08:04 am »
I edited my post above to redirect my question to Multibit rather than Paul, but would like to ask again (hoping that is not impolite) for Multibit or indeed anybody with experience or an opinion - would the PR3 board provide a sonic advantage over the Z1P?

I agree about the diagrams too, as well as all the other info - fantastic help, especially for a noob like me!! Enormous thanks!

Dave.

Hi Dave,
Both PR3 and Z1P are excellent ( I tried both),  the  advantage of PR3 is that it has  an onboard rectifier +  filter caps so its  a more compact solution compared to Z1P + external rectifier board.  Sonically I slightly preferred PR3 in this application although both gives great results.
Results may vary depending where and how you use the regs