Basic SDE Setup

Brian Cheney

• http://www.vmpsaudio.com
Basic SDE Setup
« on: 13 May 2008, 04:59 pm »
1. SDE speakers come either as exclusively digitally processed systems, or as hybrids with both analog and digital-direct inputs.  With direct inputs the bass inputs are the bottom set of binding posts and the mid/treble inputs the top set, each on its own terminal board..  With hybrid inputs there are two sets of inputs, an analog pair on the top terminal board, and the two digital pairs on the bottom terminal board.  Analog inputs set up as per usual and two Lpads serving as level controls are provided.  Factory default settings for the level controls are noon for the mid (on the left side as seen from the back) and 1 o'clock for the treble (on the right side).  single amp operation on hybrids is standard for the analog inputs, while the digital inputs always require biamping. On the 626 SDE's both pair of inputs are on one terminal board, bass on the bottom, mid/treble on the top.
2. SDE's are provided with a preprogrammed DCX2496 which has been set up for your pair of speakers.  This means the program is exclusive to your pair and includes EQ for the FR peculiarities of your speakers.  The DCX has three inputs and six outputs, all XLR.  Note the inputs have female connectors and the outputs have male connectors.  If you have only RCA inputs and outputs on your sources and amplifiers you will need appropriate XLR to RCA adapters. Such adapters are available from Neutrik for about $10ea.  The adapters should be of the standard kind, i.e. the XLR pins 1 and 3 are shorted together to make a ground, and pin 2 is "hot" and becomes the RCA center pin.
3. Input 1 is the left channel input from your source (preamp, CD with volume control, etc.).  Input 2 is the right channel input. Input 3 is not used.  It has special functions (it can be configured as a mic input), see manual for details.
4.On the stock DCX, use output 1 for the left bass and output 3 for the right bass. On the modded DCX, output 1 is left bass and output 5 is right bass.  These should connect to your bass amplifier.  Hook these up first, turn on the DCX, and play the system; you should hear bass only from your woofers. Speaker wires for the bass connect to the bottom pair of digital direct binding posts, marked "BASS".
5. On the stock DCX, use output 2 for left mid/treble and output 4 for right mid/treble. On the modded DCX, output 2 is left mid/treble and output 6 is right mid/treble.  These outputs connect to your mid/treble amplifier.  Speaker wire should connect amp output to the mid/treble direct speaker inputs, marked "MID/TREBLE".
6. If you are using identical amplifiers to biamp, one amplifier should be dedicated to one speaker, with bass on the one amp channel and mid/treble on the other amp channel.  This is "vertical biamping" and allow the amps to work as monoblocks, with improved crosstalk.
7.  Lights will flash green on the two input displays and on the four output displays.   If they are not flashing, or the red lights are illuminated under the outputs, the inputs or outputs may be muted.   To check, press the MUTE buttom and use the PARAM buttons to clear all mutes.  Then press the MUTE button again.  If the green lights under inputs and outputs still don't light up, press the buttons under the inputs, then under the four outputs you are using (1 & 2 and 3&4 for stock, 1 & 2 and 5 & 6 for modded DCX). If you have a sub amp, use the "LFE" input (on our Dayton sub amps) which bypasses their internal crossover.  You can use the sub amp level control to match levels with your main speakers.
8. Read the DCX owner's manual for the many features it offers.  You can then alter EQ settings to suit your tastes, equipment and listening environment.
9. SDE's are programmed with treble compensation for the waveguides, so use the speakers with the waveguides attached.  Sound without the waveguide is quite bright. If your new speakers have the FST tweeter take off the waveguides and remove the tape covering the tweeter.
10. You must biamp with the DCX.  The level of the bass amp output can be adjusted by pressing the output 1 button, using the PAGE button to find the gain screen, pressing the PARAM button to highlight the gain setting, and adjusting the control knob to get the amount of bass boost you need.  Bass output usually must be 3 to 4 dB louder than the mid/treble due to differences in woofer sensitivity over the mid/treble.  Once the left channel bass is set do the same with the right channel bass output, which is output 3 on the stock unit and output 5 on the modded DCX.  You should not have to make any further adjustments.  Call us if you have questions.
« Last Edit: 10 Mar 2012, 10:45 pm by Brian Cheney »

seadogs1

Re: Basic SDE Setup
« Reply #1 on: 24 Oct 2008, 09:13 pm »
If I plan to use two different sets of mono blocks to drive V60's how do I adjust for different sensitivities ie) one has 1.9 volt at rated power and the other 1.6 volts at 300 watts? If I send room dimensions and where I sit in the room can this be preprogramed in? Is the DCX2496 unit a stand alone unit? Please Pm me with address to send in the oxo unit and what to insure them for. Thanks

Brian Cheney

« Reply #2 on: 24 Oct 2008, 11:19 pm »
The DCX has gain controls for both low and high pass sections.  You set the gain to your liking, by ear, in 0.1dB steps. There's plenty of range there to compensate for different amp input sensitivities.

If you're sending in the OXO for a mod ship to the factory address:
Itone Service
2031 Rumrill Blvd #6
San Pablo CA 94806

Pack well and insure for $500ea.

seadogs1

« Reply #3 on: 25 Oct 2008, 12:01 am »
For the SDE setup for the V60's you need the OXO boxes, right? Anything else? I want to retain the passive setup I have now and add what's needed for the SDE.

Brian Cheney

« Reply #4 on: 25 Oct 2008, 01:31 am »
In that case keep the OXO's stock and will send you an outboard filter to the treble.

seadogs1

« Reply #5 on: 25 Oct 2008, 03:35 pm »
Just to make sure we are both on the same page let me rephrase. I keep the OXO's stock for the V60's for using my turntable. When I use my CD player of other digital devices I disconnect the OXO's from the wings, insert the DCX2496 between the preamp and the two sets of monoblocks, and then insert the pair of outboard filters which I assume receives the speaker wires from each amp ie)left mid/treble speaker wire, left mid base speaker wire to one filter and the right speaker wires to the other filter? Do the wires, mid/treble & midbase from the associated wings then attach to the other end of the respective filter? Can the DCX2496 also be used for room correction across the entire frequency range? Do I need to supply room dimensions and position of the speakers and where I sit?

Brian Cheney

« Reply #6 on: 25 Oct 2008, 03:57 pm »
Yes, the DCX is also used for room correction and we normally ask for room dimensions and listening position so we can program in compensation.

To play vinyl you take the DCX out of the circuit and plug in the treble filter, then move the wiring from the OXO to the main bass section inputs.

seadogs1

« Reply #7 on: 25 Oct 2008, 05:19 pm »
Okay, which address do I use to send a money order and specs of my room?

Brian Cheney

« Reply #8 on: 25 Oct 2008, 05:56 pm »
Send to the 3429 Morningside Dr, El Sobrante Ca 94803 address.