Interested in Ellis 1801*

mdfoy

Interested in Ellis 1801*
« on: 10 Jan 2008, 07:24 pm »
Mr. Ellis,

Is the 1801c in or near production status yet? I am interested in the 1801b and saw in the forum that an 1801c was in development. 

BrianM

Re: Interested in Ellis 1801*
« Reply #1 on: 10 Jan 2008, 07:58 pm »
Do you have an estimated timeline when the 1801c speaker will be completed and ready for shipping?

My prototype pair are already complete, but I want to evaluate a few minor crossover changes before a final stamp of approval.  I should have these evaluated by the end of this month.  There are a couple parallel inductors that I may have custom wound to eliminate a few resistors.  But this is minor in the grande scheme of things.

Dave

richidoo

« Reply #2 on: 10 Jan 2008, 08:50 pm »
Was it 1801C that played at RMAF? Whether b or c, it was a nice, full, very clean sound with AKSA amps. Very low distortion, but not that stuffy fake "audiophile" sound. Small footprint speaker towers made me assume it was a "stretch" 1801b, but I should have looked a little closer.
Rich

David Ellis

• http://www.ellisaudio.com
« Reply #3 on: 10 Jan 2008, 10:04 pm »
Thanks for the props richidoo,

It was the 1801B at RMAF.  I had the prototype 1801C in a cabinet that was finished with old shellac that just didn't setup  :evil:.  While the prototype was audible ready for consumer ears, it wasn't visually ready for consumer eyes. 

The "stretch" cabinet is the floorstanding version that some folks chose to build.  It has the same crossover and drivers as the stand mounted version of the 1801.  I think the 1801F LOOKS better, but any audible changes are profoundly minor or not discernable.

These past few days I have been intermittently puttering with a new router and a 1 1/2" radius roundover bit.  I was trying to configure a jig to accomplish a custom bump around the woofer, but I have encountered some problems.  :scratch:  Hmmm, I think that I just realized a different way to accomplish the guide for my router.  Perhaps the bump contour for the woofer is possible without extreme complexity.

Dave

richidoo

« Reply #4 on: 11 Jan 2008, 01:02 am »
Thanks Dave. The b really sounded great, Hugh doesn't get ALL the credit!!  I am looking forward to hearing the C. Might just have to build one myself!

I can commissurate with you router frustration. I started using the small jasper circle cutter the other day, cut one recess perfectly, 6.5" dia. Then did it again same way for the other baffle, it was 1/32" too small, driver wouldn't fit.   :evil: Thankfully, no shortage of wood at HD. I need more practice.

David Ellis

• http://www.ellisaudio.com
« Reply #5 on: 11 Jan 2008, 12:33 pm »
Learning a new way of doing things in the workshop doesn't necessarily irritate me.  I actually think that learning new things and setting up processes in the workshop is rather fun.  However, I think that I did cuss a few days ago when a piece of lumber split when not expected - argh!!

I started using the small jasper circle cutter the other day, cut one recess perfectly, 6.5" dia. Then did it again same way for the other baffle, it was 1/32" too small, driver wouldn't fit.    Thankfully, no shortage of wood at HD. I need more practice.

Yep, I have been there and done that a few times.  The following snippets may help.

1.  Make sure the center guide pin is quite snug in the hole.  I cut several 3/4" pieces of nails that are just large enough to fit through the Jasper Jig holes and use these nails for guide pins.

2.  Adjusting the router up & down between cuts will often cause the position of the bit to move very slightly - perhaps 1/32nd of an inch.

3.  Always, Always, Always accomplish a perfect recess on scrap lumber before cutting a recess on the good stuff.  There are no adjustments between these cuts.

4.  Ensure the pressure on the router is always the same.  I generally push gently away from the guide pin.

5.  On the rare occasion that the recess remains slightly too small, shave/remove some of the aluminum driver flange with a belt sander.  This is darn easy.  Then, use a good black magic marker to restore the color to the driver edge.  Nobody will see the driver edge since it's concealed in the baffle.

Hopefully some of this helps.

Dave