Worth the wait.......A "Mini" review

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
Worth the wait.......A "Mini" review
« on: 8 Dec 2007, 06:45 am »
A review of SP Tech Timepiece Mini's  :green:

This will take me much longer to write than it will you to read and I could be listening to my new speakers.   :evil:

Room: @12' x 14' spare bedroom.
Gear: secondary system with an NAD C521BEE CD player with no name IC's to a Magnum Audio IA200 integrated amp (100w/ch 8ohms) with W** M*** car stereo 12ga speaker wire.
Speakers are on 28" tall subwoofers which are not being used.

The front baffle of these speakers is absolutely beautiful.
I have not a camera, so this will have to do.
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=43286.0

Soundstage/Imaging
The soundstage is moderately wide and quite deep, when I was playing the Sam T. Stereophile track I looked out the window because I thought he was in my neighbors yard, 30 ft. behind the speakers.  :roll:
Instruments are the right size, very distinct from one another, and easy to visualize on the stage.
Lead vocals are dead center (unless recorded otherwise) and image height seems to be consistent with the recording.
Bob is right, these speakers disappear (like mini monitors half their size).

Tone/Frequency balance
The treble has shimmer and zing with cymbals and bells, but it is never shrill and to these ears it is neither too bright or dark.
The midrange will make every amp in the house sound like a SET.
Not just any SET, but the ones that are liquidy without ever being syrupy.
The midrange also sounds as if it is of one piece, whole, not two parts, no metal cone/fabric dome disintegration here.
The bass is well defined (after a few hours of break in), the nuances in a bass line (acoustic or electric) are as easy to hear as those in a good singer's voice.
I have been listening to music that for the most part only goes down to @40hz, maybe 35, so I was thinking about what to say regarding Bob's comment about a sub being optional, I was coming to the conclusion that with about 90% of my music I could probably live without a sub. Then I put in a bass disc made for evaluating the extension and SQ of car stereo subs....WOW  :o
I have not used a test disc and SPL meter yet to check how low the Mini's go in my room, but if their usable output isn't enough for you, you are more than likely an incurable basshead or HT guy and already have several subs scattered about the house.
Looks like Bob is right again, a sub(s) is optional.

Details/Details
I think I know at least part of the reason Bob was able to (give these speakers away) provide such high quality construction and sound at such a low price......  :shh: he left the crossovers out, I mean try as I might I cannot hear the x-o (800hz), when I close my eyes I hear one driver, but when I open my eyes I see two drivers.  :scratch:
Which I believe leads me to the details......you hear so much detail with the Mini's, details that many a lesser speaker buries in the soundscape, but the Mini's don't put a spotlight on the details and push the details forward into your face like some speakers.
The details in music are just there with these speakers, they aren't hiding and yet they aren't trying to make themselves known either.

A good gage of how much I like the Timepiece Mini's is that I don't think I would sell them if somebody offered me twice what I paid for them. Usually when selling speakers I get about half of what I paid for them, but I still sell them.

Lin  :)

« Last Edit: 8 Dec 2007, 07:00 am by opnly bafld »

jfreeman373

Re: Worth the wait.......A "Mini" review
« Reply #1 on: 8 Dec 2007, 07:02 am »
Glad you like them. I remember listening to them before they went out the door. I was listening to this track on our demo disk that has some real surround enveloping imaging effects on it...your'e in the middle of a rain forest while it's raining. I sat listening with my eyes closed and after several minutes I reopened my eyes and I just could not believe what I was hearing. "Whaaaat  the *******?! There is no way all that sound can be coming from those 2 little speakers sitting over there. I just kept repeating that phrase over and over for about ten minutes. It was a total brain disconnect. I just could not believe it. There's just no way....hahaha....there's just no way.

Double Ugly

« Reply #2 on: 8 Dec 2007, 08:20 am »
I think I know at least part of the reason Bob was able to (give these speakers away) provide such high quality construction and sound at such a low price......  :shh: he left the crossovers out, I mean try as I might I cannot hear the x-o (800hz), when I close my eyes I hear one driver, but when I open my eyes I see two drivers.  :scratch:

Welcome to the crossover-less 2-way speaker club, Lin.  :thumb:

For years, I've been telling anyone and everyone who'll listen (and some who won't :roll:) that SP Technology speakers have the least apparent crossover I've ever NOT heard!  I'm happy to see you appreciate what I believe is perhaps the best aspect of a phenomenal design.

Congratulations!   :beer:

BrassEar

« Reply #3 on: 23 Oct 2008, 05:05 pm »
From what I have read, they use a passive LR 4th order xover, right?

I still don't know how they can cross over that tweet at 800 Hz. Amazing.

Waveguides are the future of high end audio IMHO.

Double Ugly

« Reply #4 on: 23 Oct 2008, 07:35 pm »

That's what Bob says, but I believe there's a little more to it.  However, I doubt Bob is interested in being any more forthcoming for obvious reasons. 

Regardless, as you say, the crossover point is amazing and has a lot to do with the seamlessness of the presentation.

RodMCV

« Reply #5 on: 23 Oct 2008, 07:52 pm »
Surely you guys must be talking about a $1000 set of headphones!

cujobob

« Reply #6 on: 22 Nov 2008, 07:49 am »

I still don't know how they can cross over that tweet at 800 Hz. Amazing.

Waveguides are the future of high end audio IMHO.

Perhaps...but in time, I assume some manufacturers will find a way to make tweeters able to do high frequencies exceptionally well and go down to 800hz-1Khz.  This allows the bigger driver to really do its thing in the midrange...

I've really been interested in picking up a pair of SP Tech speakers...unfortunately, still out of my budget for a second system.

If nothing else, I think the waveguide looks really cool.