B200 and Eminence Alpha-15A report ~

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: B200 and Eminence Alpha-15A report ~
« Reply #140 on: 23 Nov 2009, 08:12 am »
Someone  salivating there??

scorpion

« Reply #141 on: 23 Nov 2009, 08:00 pm »
I think this Fenlon design is very hard to evaluate. It seems to have a very non-offensive frequency response. I would not judge such a unit until I have heard it myself. To be able to say if it is right or less right.

If going with Alpha15 I think one will suffice.

/Erling

elb

« Reply #142 on: 20 Jan 2010, 11:51 pm »
Hi,
could someone please provide the driver placement dimensions for the eminence alpha15a/visaton b200 on a 24"X36" baffle,thank you.

Best regards,elb.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #143 on: 21 Jan 2010, 12:14 am »
Hi,
could someone please provide the driver placement dimensions for the eminence alpha15a/visaton b200 on a 24"X36" baffle,thank you.

Best regards,elb.

The 15A needs to be close to the floor and the B200 close to seated ear level or lower if baffle is tilted back a little.
There are a few pictures on page 3 of baffles that size.

Lin

elb

« Reply #144 on: 21 Jan 2010, 12:46 am »
Hi Lin,
thank you for the reply.I have seen the pictures.
One example has the b200 centred above the alpha 15a and the other has the b200 offset.

Best regards,elb

painkiller

« Reply #145 on: 24 Feb 2010, 05:40 pm »
About the Alpha 15A frequency response and passive filtering.

I've recently done some justMLS measurements of impedance and response with this driver on a small baffle 60x60 cm. The response is similar to the latest measurement by Scorpion earlier in this thread, but the 2 kHz peak is about +10dB.

The surprise, however, was how the driver responded to passive crossovers. I ran simulations in lspCAD with different filter topologies and component values. It seems like the drivers don't respond well to large series inductors. A larger inductor does very little to reduce high frequency response, and Fc seems to be somewhat fixed around 100-200 Hz. The inductor mostly just reduces overall output and flattens out the 2kHz peak. Some larger values even introduced new peaks in the response. So I landed on 1,2 mH.

When adding a parallel capacitor there is a sharp rolloff at around 500Hz. Then a flat response up to 2 kHz. Increasing the size of the cap does nothing to the cutoff frequency, but only reduces the level above 500Hz relative to the level below. The optimal value here was found to be 220 uF (!).

More complex filters only introduced large peaks in the response.

So crossing these drivers passively may not be as straightforward as one would wish. Using simple crossover theory may produce different results than expected.

Optimal crossover was found to be 1,2 mH in series, 220uF in parallel, Fc=500Hz. Try it out!  :wink:

Synthax

« Reply #146 on: 3 Mar 2014, 09:19 am »
Dear Community,
My name is Maciek, I'm new at this place but I listen to music for many years. After some experience with other speakers, I decided to start this quite raw and exceptional approach as is OB design. I use now Lampizator Leve 4 DAC, and it inspired me also as the Lukasz uses OB in his reference system.
All what I have now is this and an idea to build a baffle. My question is, if I can get deeper and more bass when the baffle is build ? This is 8ohm Eminence Beta 15A + 4,7mH coil, Sonido SFR175 92dB no filtering and Isophon 10cm tweeter with 2uF Wima capacitor.

mcgsxr

« Reply #147 on: 3 Mar 2014, 03:05 pm »
If your question is - will I get better bass by using a baffle vs playing the driver in free space - then absolutely yes.

If your question is - can I improve on my baffle design as show in the pic - I cannot comment on that, knowing little about your drivers or their specs etc.

I have always approached this as pure experimentation.  Use mdf, cut up some test mules, and refine as you go.  When you end up where you like, spend the time and energy to build something beautiful, and you're all set!

jkelly

« Reply #148 on: 30 Nov 2017, 01:47 am »
Celebrating 10 years!

As I re-set up my B200 and Alpha 15 open baffle, I am reminded of how great this project was from DMason, Richard, Scorpion and others. This and the famous Darkstar thead revitalized open baffle and promoted a number of great drivers and businesses. Now with better electronics - the results are even better.  I forgot how wonderfully open baffle fills the room with sound.

Best wishes to DMason and Richard!

Jeff

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #149 on: 30 Nov 2017, 02:02 am »
Thanks for the reminder. It's too easy to forget worthy advances that have been made and lose our way once again.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #150 on: 30 Nov 2017, 02:06 am »
I must say Scorpion was a very kind person and nice to deal :thumb:

NavyDoc

• Virabus mari victoria
« Reply #151 on: 1 Dec 2017, 07:56 pm »
Celebrating 10 years!

As I re-set up my B200 and Alpha 15 open baffle, I am reminded of how great this project was from DMason, Richard, Scorpion and others. This and the famous Darkstar thead revitalized open baffle and promoted a number of great drivers and businesses. Now with better electronics - the results are even better.  I forgot how wonderfully open baffle fills the room with sound.

Best wishes to DMason and Richard!

Jeff
I just finished reading that thread, it is one of the best.